YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f28/)
-   -   Tundra Plant News (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f28/tundra-plant-news-149123/)

scuba 07-09-2008 10:14 PM

Tundra Plant News

So living in San Antonio has its ups and downs.
Mostly downs but we'll leave that out.

Im watching the news and apparently the plant here in SA is planning suspending production of the trucks until next year.
Also, they say that the plant in Indiana wont make the single cabs anymore and all tundras will be produced here.
This is all pending an announcement tomorrow by Toyota Execs.

Thoughts, Opinions ??

zlathim 07-10-2008 05:50 AM

They're not selling many full size rigs these days. Value is already way down. Had to happen.

TexanTaco 07-11-2008 01:52 PM

I'm thinking about buying a new Tundra for this very reason. The surplus on some dealership lots is crazy. One of the large Yota dealers close to me has over 800 in stock!! When you do a new inventory search on their website for the Tundra it loads over 40 pages. :eeek:

Fink 07-11-2008 02:01 PM

I love my Tacoma.
24mpg = :D

I had heard this too...not really a huge shock if you look at the economy.

Anybody see the price of oil today?
$145.08/barrell!

How about the Dow??
-128.48pts to 11,100.54! That's only about 94pts from the record low for the past year - which happened yesterday!

Scary stuff guys...

Fink:devil:

scuba 07-11-2008 03:21 PM

Yeah i figured most people dont want those things due to the gas prices.
I mean, People like to freak out and over react, but if you look at it its maybe 5-10 bucks more per tank ??!
big deal.
but, my dad made a wise choice buying his yaris last year, 35-40 mpg, cant really beat that.

History repeats itself right ??

:cheers:

Vermejo 07-11-2008 07:01 PM

When they go back into production it will be interesting to see what happens to quality, already an issue with Tundra. Get em while their hot... I guess.

DeathCougar 07-11-2008 08:35 PM

Toyota is also moving production of the Prius to the US.

Goodbye quality.

Fink 07-11-2008 09:26 PM

Yeah, it's tough to admit but the future is not looking so good for Toyota.
They will always be a good car. I'm just afraid they'll lose the edge they had over the competition.

Fink:devil:

TexanTaco 07-14-2008 11:06 AM

Well luckily Toyota is somewhat prepared for all of this, they haven't relied on Tundra, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser sales. They have a very diversified lineup, and enough money in the bank to halt production of the Tundra.

*I* hope to see a new Toyota emerge from all of this with smaller vehicles and smaller more fuel efficient engines. Look at how big the 4Runner, Tacoma, and Tundra have become. I mean the Tacoma really can't be considered a small/midsize truck anymore. I decided against buying a Tundra, even though I could get an amazing deal. I don't NEED a truck that big, they are insanely huge. Toyota needs to downsize, just like all the big American companies. Toyota was forced to go "big" to compete in the SUV and truck segments, but hopefully they will go back to their roots.

X-AWDriver 07-15-2008 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by scuba (Post 50871935)
Yeah i figured most people dont want those things due to the gas prices.
I mean, People like to freak out and over react, but if you look at it its maybe 5-10 bucks more per tank ??!
big deal.

:cheers:

But in the not so distant future that $5-10 bucks extra will continue to go up and might be a few more hundred a year and some people who have families and other bills this will be a big deal. And what tank are you comparing this too? The Tundra's tank is over 26 gallons so $5/gal is about $120 a tank and add another dollar and you are about at $150 and those measly MPGs aren't helping.

Toyota had bad timing on making the Tundra's sibling in the debut of the monster Sequoia.

I feel for people who have to have a truck for their jobs and whatnot but I think we are seeing the end of people with trucks that are just ego haulers and there's plenty of those around here.

TexanTaco 07-15-2008 08:27 AM

^ I think you're right, and it's amazing how higher gas prices can cause these types of changes. I guess it goes to show how tight a budget some families can be on. The new Tundra and Sequoia (not to mention all the other large trucks/SUVs) are excess for most people, plain and simple. Do *most* people need to tow 10,000lbs?? Of course not. And most families don't actually need the living room on wheels that is the Sequoia.

In a way I'm almost glad that gas prices are making people come back to earth and realize we don't need such large vehicles. I know that everyone wants to live a nice comfortable life, but things were getting out of control.

hross14 07-15-2008 12:29 PM

there were alot of good points made from this post.

--I agree--newer toyotas are getting to large
--History repeats itself (dont forget China is adding driver like crazy)
--Crazy huge cars for two kids--Mom and a Pinto with 5 kids--thats how we rolled
--People Spending within thier means
--Moving closer to work--back in the day--60 miles was a pretty long drive

And last but not least population growth--we dont need big families anymore--each person added just means an additional strain on resources--plain and simple supply and demand.

I am not advocating population control--but i think we need to start thinking do we really need to give into the "Clock" so many times (thats for the ladies not the men) LOL Please take this with a grain of salt

DeathCougar 07-15-2008 01:36 PM

I agree 100%. Large families are, and should be a thing of the past.

In case people weren't paying attention, 5 billion people on the planet should just about cover it ;) But humans dont care, and in general are a selfish race who will continue to have children at exponential rates.

scuba 07-15-2008 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver (Post 50874156)
But in the not so distant future that $5-10 bucks extra will continue to go up and might be a few more hundred a year and some people who have families and other bills this will be a big deal. And what tank are you comparing this too?

Im comparing, the 30 cent rise since the winter.
in my 16 gallon tank thats 3.20 rise.

But yes, cars are getting wayy to huge.

Team420 07-16-2008 04:39 AM

I am actually thinking about buying a new tundra, The fully loaded tundra is almost the same price as the fully loaded taco up here....it seems these dealer cant give away these large trucks, and I intend to prosper from it. I have to have a truck for work, and i bet the new i-force v8 gets better mpg's than my runners 3vze's. Which is pretty sad if you think about it.

ozziesironmanoffroad 07-16-2008 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar (Post 50874494)

In case people weren't paying attention, 5 billion people on the planet should just about cover it ;) But humans dont care, and in general are a selfish race who will continue to have children at exponential rates.

here in cali, its mostly the Latino population that is having kids at exponential rates. i mean on a lot of cars you see the back window completely covered with stickers representing their kids. now im not saying its only them, i know a white couple that had like 12 kids, just because they COULD. it doesnt make sense to me. when i have a family, ill have at most 3 kids. id like just one, but cant guarentee the future girl will only want 1.
oh, BOT. those new tundras and sequoias are monsters... i mean i think the sequoia is bigger than my moms expedition.. (that now we only use as a 2nd car and for road trips)... its crazy that the sequoias bigger.. theres a reason ford stopped making the excursion

alliekay 07-18-2008 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar (Post 50874494)

Over 95% of the world is still entirely uninhabited by people. I travel a lot and have been on several different continents and I would not consider the world overpopulated. I see only untapped potential everywhere I go.
As for the size of families. That is a personal choice and one that I respect. If people want a big family and can afford it, then that is their choice. Your opinion of mankind in general seems pretty low.

alliekay 07-18-2008 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar (Post 50872107)
Toyota is also moving production of the Prius to the US.

Goodbye quality.

I thought the Prius was made in SF, California?
Also heard they were moving the plant out of state due to high taxation and over-regulation.
I wanted a new Tundra but the flex fuel version is not available now until around December.

alliekay 07-18-2008 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad (Post 50875054)
here in cali, its mostly the Latino population that is having kids at exponential rates. i mean on a lot of cars you see the back window completely covered with stickers representing their kids. now im not saying its only them, i know a white couple that had like 12 kids, just because they COULD. it doesnt make sense to me. when i have a family, ill have at most 3 kids. id like just one, but cant guarentee the future girl will only want 1.
oh, BOT. those new tundras and sequoias are monsters... i mean i think the sequoia is bigger than my moms expedition.. (that now we only use as a 2nd car and for road trips)... its crazy that the sequoias bigger.. theres a reason ford stopped making the excursion

I think the fuel economy on the new Sequoia is actually better than the previous generation. Too big for my needs anyway but I still see alot of them on the road around here.

josephah2000 07-19-2008 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad (Post 50875054)

Hey I'm part of the "Latino" population and my wife and I only have 2 kids!!! And no tinted windows with stickers. You are generalizing too much. That's like me saying that near my house there is a huge population of fat "white" hillbilly people that live in a trailer park....represent the "white" population. Duh they don't!

Oh by the way, I used to own a 1988 Toyota 4wd p/u. It had 253,000 original miles when I sold it in 1998 for a 1998 Tacoma 4wd, trd. Great truck!

But being in San Antonio and now with the Toyota plant halting production it is really a sign of the times and show how dependent industries are on the price of gas. I remember in an economics class the prof stated that the price of gas is inelastic, meaning you'l' buy it no matter the cost and the demand will be unchanged, and I can agree with that but what the books didn't say is that everything else can be affected!!!