99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

New to the site and tundra. Oil pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the site and tundra. Oil pressure question

Hey guys. New to the site and new to the tundra. I had a Toyota celica for many years and always wanted a tundra. Well I have one and have a concern. I just got my tundra with 144k and my oil pressure is giving me a headache. I have had it for a month and during that time the oil pressure gauge read 1/4 at idle. Running up to over 3/4 at high speeds. Today it dropped down to L and sits there, naturally changing the levels it reads as you accelerate as well. Now the oil is in good shape (good clean color, but I'm not sure of the weight) I have not changed it since I bought it. I live in Texas and though I am goin to change it to a high weight it's not really cold down here so I can't see that causing that drastic a change like that in a matter of minutes. The manual says hat sitting at L during idle is normal and it seems to build pressure smoothly as it drives. But the sudden drop and change in reading has thrown me. Any thoughts?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Havok
Hey guys. New to the site and new to the tundra. I had a Toyota celica for many years and always wanted a tundra. Well I have one and have a concern. I just got my tundra with 144k and my oil pressure is giving me a headache. I have had it for a month and during that time the oil pressure gauge read 1/4 at idle. Running up to over 3/4 at high speeds. Today it dropped down to L and sits there, naturally changing the levels it reads as you accelerate as well. Now the oil is in good shape (good clean color, but I'm not sure of the weight) I have not changed it since I bought it. I live in Texas and though I am goin to change it to a high weight it's not really cold down here so I can't see that causing that drastic a change like that in a matter of minutes. The manual says hat sitting at L during idle is normal and it seems to build pressure smoothly as it drives. But the sudden drop and change in reading has thrown me. Any thoughts?
It's normal. I use 5W30 in my 2000 4WD tundra
Old 06-10-2016, 03:48 PM

Agree. Got an 04 Sequoia that uses 5W-30 and the gauge moves based on speed and temp. It apparently is a true sensor and not just an idiot stick that most auto makers use which show a reading mid-range but is really just on/off. Took some getting used to, but glad to know the real pressure.