YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f28/)
-   -   Having second thoughts... (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f28/having-second-thoughts-308090/)

881stgen 07-11-2019 07:33 AM

Having second thoughts...

Been obsessed with 4Runners, especially 1st Gens, since I was in college 20 years ago. That's when I bought my first one. I've had 4 since that one. Now that I finally have some money to actually fix one up and not just drive it till it falls apart I started looking into overlanding. That's when I noticed her shortcomings. Don't get me wrong, she's a great rig, but the body style and compact platform have some challenges. Then I started looking at a rooftop tent and it's not simple, as the factory fiberglass shell isn't that strong. Naturally I started looking into Land Cruisers, as the wife said I can keep the 4Runner if I want.

My question to this forum is, how realistic is it to expect to find one with factory lockers in decent shape for under $8,000? I know 4Runner pricing really well, but it seems like every single Cruiser I see with lockers says something like "This LC has lockers, so you know what you are looking at and you better open your wallet AND bend over." Did I just completely miss the boat? Where are the former soccer moms, now grandmas, who told their husband they had to have a Cruiser or LX with EVERY option yet didn't even know what they were buying?

Note, I don't have to have lockers, but they would be really nice to have sometimes and I love factory options over aftermarket.

millball 07-11-2019 11:52 AM

Lockers have value

. Real selectable lockers cost MONEY, even if you are competent to do ALL the labor yourself.

I wouldn't care for air operated lockers, even if they were no cost to me.

. The best, (Harrop, IMO) are Better than factory, because they are much less mechanicly complicated.

You'd be hard pressed to pay less than $1200 an axle for new parts to build them, not considering any labor costs at all.

That's reality.

881stgen 07-11-2019 02:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. I know they have value, but I just didn't know how expensive. I just heard about the Harrops recently and they look sweet. Looks like you have one on your 95. Did you install it or did you pay for it? Just wondering what something like this would cost to install. I definitely want an e-locker though.

I'll probably just keep rolling in my 4Runner, but the 80-series are sweet!

millball 07-11-2019 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by 881stgen (Post 52426836)
Thanks for the reply. I know they have value, but I just didn't know how expensive. I just heard about the Harrops recently and they look sweet. Looks like you have one on your 95. Did you install it or did you pay for it? Just wondering what something like this would cost to install. I definitely want an e-locker though.

I'll probably just keep rolling in my 4Runner, but the 80-series are sweet!

I installed it myself. along with all new pinion bearings and seal. I can't really speak to what shop labor would cost

. Several hundred dollars, for sure. I do all my own work.

Discombobulated 07-11-2019 04:22 PM

Any old Toyotas we’re starting to have to “bend over” to afford. I don’t agree with it but I get it cause people are paying it..... This is why I don’t think I’ll ever own a 1st gen runner:( But I sure would love to own one, along with a land cruiser!!!