YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f28/)
-   -   2002 Tundra 3.4l weak spark no start. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f28/2002-tundra-3-4l-weak-spark-no-start-306431/)

YotasRus 12-06-2018 03:25 AM

2002 Tundra 3.4l weak spark no start.

What’s up guys, I’m having a problem with my tundra, it’s an 02 3.4l 5speed. Truck drove and idled perfect before this. Was driving the truck all night got home at 10pm. Woke up next morning to go to work it fired up for about 10 seconds and died. Tried cranking again it fired up for 2 seconds and died. Got a ride to work brought home a scan tool and got a lean code so right away I put a new MAF in it and cleaned the IAC but no change. I figured it was a fuel issue so replaced the fuel pump and still no change, pulled the plugs they were shot, replaced em, tested the coil packs and they checked out good, went to crank it and STILL nothing. Tested for spark and it’s a very very weak spark and the truck will not fire up...any ideas on what would cause a weak spark? Anything helps at this point. Thanks

75w90mantraN 12-06-2018 03:20 PM

Are the sparkplug wires due for replacement?

If the lean code happens to be P0171, I'd also check for air intake leaks.

Weak spark, gonna have to verify the ignition circuit, maybe poor connection, high resistance, or something. Even a weak battery is worth ruling out.

YotasRus 12-07-2018 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by 75w90mantraN (Post 52413625)
Are the sparkplug wires due for replacement?

If the lean code happens to be P0171, I'd also check for air intake leaks.

Weak spark, gonna have to verify the ignition circuit, maybe poor connection, high resistance, or something. Even a weak battery is worth ruling out.

battery is about a year old, swaped out the ignitor from my brothers tundra, tested the cam and crank sensors and still nothing. The code I got was a 171 but scanned it last night and there’s no codes?! I really don’t think my intake is bad but I’ll triple check tonight, not to mention I’m in Maine and work till 5 so I’m doing all this in my driveway in the dark when it’s 20 degrees and I’m no mechanic. How would I go about testing the ignition circuit?

75w90mantraN 12-08-2018 06:32 PM

It be good to verify (explain) how you tested for spark, crank sensors, coil packs, and so forth. Many have stated they checked and checked, only to find out they had a misunderstanding on what constituted as 'checked.' Can mean many different ways.

When you checked coil packs, did you check wires too? If the wires are close to or beyond change interval, might as well throw new ones on. If you haven't touched those already.

Batteries vary in quality. Some are complete trash and last a yr or two. Colder weather can influence cranking ability especially if temps are 0 Celsius and below.

If you have and use a multimeter, that be the first step in checking the cranking/ignition circuitry.

Does your scan tool have specific testing and data gathering functions? Or just pulling codes?

YotasRus 12-12-2018 04:05 PM

Hey guys, just want to say thanks for the reply’s, I’ve been super busy, still am, just a quick update. My trucks is running great it turned out to be the lower plenum gaskets........last place I would have thought. I’ll post again once I get home of how I found out without spending anymore money. Once again thanks

75w90mantraN 12-12-2018 08:06 PM

That explains the lean code. Hope its just that. Glad its running and you saved money.