Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

My new 1979 FJ-40!! Diesel conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool My new 1979 FJ-40!! Diesel conversion?

I just picked up a sweet little landcruiser its actually the exact same one that my dad had when I was a little kid.

I'm still a kid for that matter ha but lets get to the point I gotta sink a bunch of money into this it was mistreated to some extent by the previous owner and has been sitting the past 8 or so years besides moving properties to sit at now I have the title and can baby it like I have always wanted

I am confident I can get it running with new fuel lines and belts but I know there is no compression in one cylinder this rig is bone stock besides some boggers but it does not have a lift I for sure need to do the breaks and fix some body stuff but the next steps are where I would love some pointers.

I would like to convert to diesel I really want to convert to a 2L if I can find a somewhat reasonably priced one if i can not would a 3L fit? then i have a crazy friend who wants me to put a d24t (he even knows what tranny and transfer box to use scary ) in it but I kinda ignore him since he has a weird obsession with vw diesel my other option I have considered is a complete rebuild of this engine any pointers would be extremely helpful all oppinions are greatly appreciated but I DO NOT!!!!!!!! want to drop a crate engine in it

thanks for the help all
Old 07-28-2012, 10:37 AM

What's in it now a 2F or was it originally a diesel? I have a 79 myself with a moderately built 2F and it's got plenty of power but 12mpg keeps it sitting in the garage most of the time. I had briefly thought about a diesel conversion before I built my 2F but I didn't want one of the old B motors. I don't know if a Toyota 2L or 2LT would really be a suitable match for the rest of the driveline. And a VW TDI really doesn't have the stones to move a larger rig. There are a few guys on the IH8MUD forum who have put cummins 4BT's into 40 and 60 series trucks. Mostly just crawlers though.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I disagree about the VW TDI not having the stones. A slightly tweaked TDI can do 300lbs-ft and that would be more than a 2F... And more than a non-modified Chevy 350.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:32 PM

So i just remembered i have a 300D very available to me has any one ever tried that? I relize i will have to make some motor mounts and a transfer plate for the tranny but any thoughts?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:33 PM

And yes i have a 2F
Old 07-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
keep it Toyota, do a specter off road half cut diesel conversion:
http://www.sor.com/fj2hj-conversion.html
Old 07-28-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tdswaps does Merc diesels into Toyotas. I thought about this for my 40.

& if Specter and Profitts weren't so freaking expensive I would (and still might) explore the half cut option.....
Old 07-29-2012, 07:21 PM

do a 4bt to be cheap and easy, rebuild the 2F with about the same money, don't bother with the L series, they will be underpowered and unreliable and a PITA in the long run. If your in the USA a 3B probably isn't cheap.

Are you going to drive it a bunch? Are you going to wheel it? Hard core? If its not a DD or you plan to wheel it hard don't bother with the swap or save up for it thinking long term to collect the right parts. Basically around here a used 2F can be had for under $200 in good shape with good compression.

Rebuilds are easy but not always cheap, cams and lifters can be expensive if they valves haven't been adjusted properly. Have you done a compression test on the current motor? Check compression, then put a few drops of oil in the cylinder. Check compression again, if it goes up its the rings, if it stays the same its the valves. Valves are pretty cheap and easy, if its valves pull the head and get it fixed. Don't always assume the worst. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
keep it Toyota, do a specter off road half cut diesel conversion:
http://www.sor.com/fj2hj-conversion.html
I have to agree with dropzone on this one. And I know you can get parts for the 2H from Toyota through their forklift dealers as I've checked for an engine I had almost purchased.

I'm a member over on IH8MUD and the 3B is a commonly used engine to do the swap with, especially in the 40 series. They're not as heavy as my 60 so it has plenty of power. As far as the 4BT, you'll need at least 4" of lift to clear the oil pan since it's so big. That and I hear it's really noisy, which a lot of people don't like.

But all in all, it's really want you want to do. If you have access to a good motor and trans, and get it to fit into your truck the Merc would be a good way to go. But parts probably aren't going to be cheap and some may not even be made anymore. Just something to look out for.

Lenin
Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 PM

We did the 4bt cummins swap in a 76 fj40 and yes it is very noisy and vibrates ALOT. but its a torque monster and it turns 35 with no problem at all. AND we get 25+ mpg so no complaining there! but yeah at least a 4" lift, and theres alot of fabbing to do. new motor mounts, tranny mounts, we used a 6bt exhaust manifold and cut it down to 4 ports and welded the ends so we can make the exhaust fit, transmission adaptor plate. etc... its a hell of a swap and pretty spendy but so far its been great for us!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:05 AM

I agree with Flyinglow... I have built a number of factory diesel cruisers since 2007 and dealing with parts for these drivetrains is not fun. The B and 3B diesel run great and when maintained properly can give you years of trouble free use but if I was considering building a cruiser like yours I would opt for the 4BT Cummins. I'm a huge diesel fan for their second to none reliability, great fuel efficiency, and gobs of torque but the 2F isn't a bad option either. I built a FJ55 with a F motor, split header, Empi Carb, an HEI ignition and the truck performed great. The only major draw back to the F or 2F is the fuel efficiency ...

Push come to shove buy a 4BT with a NV4500 and if your on a budget slap an advance adapters 205 transfer case adapter on there and call it done

Looking forward to this build!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:34 AM

Put a turbo on a 3b, thats a really nice combo for a 40! We have a 2b turbo'd in a BJ-44 rhd and that thing gets 25 plus mpg and has plenty of hp and tq!!
I also agree with everyone else, a 4bt is a great motor, I have a 6bt and love it to death, but they will rattle your teeth!
The 617 is a fun swap as well, they just lack in the tq. section

Justin
Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 PM

either go Mercedes diesel or 4bt... I prefer the mercedes but then again I have had bad luck with the 6bt in the past. It also keeps it somewhat a 40 series drivetrain. they did put mercedes diesels in them in brazil.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:35 AM

Here is a you tube video that was shot of a 1980 BJ40 with a custom built turbo charged B Diesel engine I built about a year ago. This truck performed great and averaged about 28 MPG.

I would still go with a Cummins. Parts are such a pain in the you know what for these things and that's with my connections specializing in Diesel Land Cruisers for the past 7-8 years...