Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

1977 FJ40 F2 engine - no fuel in the sight glass

Old 10-08-2015, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1977 FJ40 F2 engine - no fuel in the sight glass

Hello to all,

Vehicle was running fine until two days ago, when it starting bogging down and would not idle with engine at operating temperature. I looked at the carburetor and there is no fuel in the sight window. I cracked the banjo and cranked it and fuel poured out of the banjo fitting so I have ruled out filter and fuel pump. I have a rebuilt kit for the carb but I am trying to sell it and don't want to remove and rebuild it at this point. I can't find any documentation on the flow of fuel through the ports in the carb that will describe how the fuel flows from the banjo to the float. Any ideas on the port passages from the fuel line to the float. I believe, or at least hope, that if I can locate the problem(s) that is causing fuel not to get into the float it will run again. Please note that amount other things the fast idle plunger and port seems to be working as I checked it when I took the top of the carb off.

Thanks in advance for you help!
Turtlehead

Last edited by Turtlehead; 10-08-2015 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Maybe some of the guys that understand carburetors can pitch in and help you out. Not trying to run you off or anything like that, but most on Yotatech are going to be weak in the knowledge of Landcrusiers. http://www.ih8mud.com/ those guys at Mud understand them far better. If I was a moderator on Mud and someone asked a mini truck question, I would suggest Yotatech to them. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:14 PM

First pull fuel line where it enters the carburetor, crank over to check fuel supply, if ok reattach. The fuel enters the bowl at the base, and has a needle and seat which moves up and down with the float to control fuel level. Pull the top of carburetor off and carefully remove the float with needle attached, notice how it is attached and do not drop it. With that out of the way you can see the bottom of the bowl where the fuel enters. If you crank it over fuel should enter. If not the seat will un screw check for blockage, crank over again, should flow through.
Hope that helps,
Brad
Old 04-14-2016, 05:30 AM

If no fuel getting to the carb bowl then yes as described the needle valve that allows fuel to flow into the carb bowl is sticking. This can happen often from sitting or age, as the fuel will attack the needle, which now days is a rubber type tip on the needle that degrades over time. The needle will start sticking and block fuel flow. The very old days the needles were solid brass and lasted much longer. Same problem happens to lawn mowers, tractors, etc. Anything with a carb.

This is a very easy repair. Simplest thing is remove the breather, then the top of the carb, carefully remove the float and there you will see the needle valve assembly that controls the fuel flow. The needle drops out. Unscrew the needle housing and replace that and the needle. You should check the float position (with top of carb upside down, measure from carb body to bottom of float) to make sure the float level is correct. There should be something in the carb kit to do the measurement with. Then put it back together. Problem will be solved.