YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   2016+ Tacomas (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f240/)
-   -   Dealership Fried My ECU (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f240/dealership-fried-my-ecu-297700/)

Nervo19 11-13-2016 06:49 PM

Dealership Fried My ECU

1 Attachment(s)
I took my new 2016 Sport 4x4 DC in to the dealer where I bought it for the 5,000 mile service and to have the TSB's done. They were to change the oil (gave me argument that I don't need to do it until 10k) and flash the transmission. Apparently there was some engine update. They flashed the ECU and fried it. There are plenty of new ECU's for sale from dealers on line but for some reason it will take them a week to replace it. I begged for a truck to drive since the weekend was coming and I need a truck. They gave me a smelly 50k mile snot green Camry. With the dealers name and phone number in ginormous letters on the back. I have other vehicles so it has been sitting since I got home last Wednesday. Not naming names or anything but here's a picture of me debadging their name last week:

Attachment 111874

Does anyone have any speculation about what problems I might have in the future from this? I wonder if I'm going to have electrical gremlins.

Janos01 11-14-2016 12:22 PM

If Dealer fried your ECM then you should be covered for future problems & when they replace the ECU. All work done at the dear is guarantied for 1 year parts + Labor if OEM parts are used. One of the last times I took my 4 runner in they killed my Neutral Start Switch and replaced it no charge to me. I think you should be good man.

Nervo19 11-18-2016 08:21 PM

Thanks. I found out the federal government makes them warranty the ECU for 80,000 miles. It took them a week even though I found the part available on line. Pretty frustrated with the dealership. Covered in bird poop when I picked it up and I realized when I got home my Toyota hitch plug is missing. The truck is running great so the rezap of the transmission did wonders.

Lybrium 05-27-2020 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19 (Post 52341503)
I took my new 2016 Sport 4x4 DC in to the dealer where I bought it for the 5,000 mile service and to have the TSB's done. They were to change the oil (gave me argument that I don't need to do it until 10k) and flash the transmission. Apparently there was some engine update. They flashed the ECU and fried it. There are plenty of new ECU's for sale from dealers on line but for some reason it will take them a week to replace it. I begged for a truck to drive since the weekend was coming and I need a truck. They gave me a smelly 50k mile snot green Camry. With the dealers name and phone number in ginormous letters on the back. I have other vehicles so it has been sitting since I got home last Wednesday. Not naming names or anything but here's a picture of me debadging their name last week:

Attachment 111874

Does anyone have any speculation about what problems I might have in the future from this? I wonder if I'm going to have electrical gremlins.

Read your manual, you don't need an oil change till 10k, if you want to do it more frequently that's fine but they are correct.

Also dealerships don't order stuff off Amazon, they get it from the PDC, just because you saw an ecu online doesn't mean they would or should source a part that way, they are obligated to getting you a new from factory garunteed part.

Dealerships also don't "flash" modern ECU's, they apply updates and program them through techstream.

All that said, sucks you were out your truck for a bit, but ˟˟˟˟ happens mate.

Nervo19 05-28-2020 10:24 AM

Holy old thread. At the time I found the part on line from a Toyota dealer; not Amazon. It tells me the part was not so hard to find that I had to be without my truck for a week right after a hurricane when I had a mess to clean up. You don't have to be condescending. I read THFM. I tow therefore I change the oil every 5000 miles. Why are you posting to a four year old thread? You sound like a kid who just got hired at a dealer. I stand by my anger that Haley Toyota of Richmond VA screwed me out of my truck when I needed it very badly. I have since purchased a 2018 and NOT from them. WTF would you weigh in when you have a (probably nice) 1992?

Lybrium 05-28-2020 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19 (Post 52444914)
Holy old thread. At the time I found the part on line from a Toyota dealer; not Amazon. It tells me the part was not so hard to find that I had to be without my truck for a week right after a hurricane when I had a mess to clean up. You don't have to be condescending. I read THFM. I tow therefore I change the oil every 5000 miles. Why are you posting to a four year old thread? You sound like a kid who just got hired at a dealer. I stand by my anger that Haley Toyota of Richmond VA screwed me out of my truck when I needed it very badly. I have since purchased a 2018 and NOT from them. WTF would you weigh in when you have a (probably nice) 1992?

Didn't mean to offend, this was actually just one of the top threads on 2016+ so I didn't look at the age of post... Not that it matters.

​​​