Looking For A Mechanic/Fabricator/Shop Put your location in your thread title when making an inquiry

Mechanic recs for 75 Chinook - Cross-country Roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mechanic recs for 75 Chinook - Cross-country Roadtrip

Hey there! I'm new to this forum and glad to join this community!
I just bought a '75 Toyota Chinook out in San Francisco, and I'm in love with it! It's in good condition, with lots of work to the engine over the last 2 drivers. But of course, its a 42 year old truck, so I'm trying to take precautions.

I am going to be attempting to drive it cross country from San Francisco to Maryland in about 2 weeks from now, and in preparation, I'm trying to prep a list of some great shops that know how to work on old Toyotas. I have some super basic car maintenance and repair skills, but want to have some options should I get in over my head!

My general trajectory: Sacramento -> Grass Valley -> Tahoe -> 80 through Nevada and Utah -> Denver -> Black Hills, SD -> Minneapolis -> Chicago -> Detroit -> Pittsburgh -> Maryland

Any shop recommendations along the way? (I'm ESPECIALLY nervous about crossing the deserts in NV, UT, and SD)
What other things you'd suggest before I attempt this cross-country?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I have no specific recommendations for mechanics along your route, but I'd try to find a Factory Service Manual, a Haynes or Chilton's Manual if FSM cannot be found, a few basic tools and the FSM will be SUPER handy. Sounds like a great trip, post some pics of the Chinook so we can all enjoy.