Looking For A Mechanic/Fabricator/Shop Put your location in your thread title when making an inquiry

looking for a shop outside of philadelphia to swap 2rz into 84 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face looking for a shop outside of philadelphia to swap 2rz into 84 pickup

hi,
bought a 84 solid axle 4x4 pickup in california and brought it back east. ithis stupid kid who i unfortionately trusted at the time said he could do the swap he ended up taring my engine out without labeling anything and then managed to steal a bunch of money from me. i took it back and had a friend install the 2rz engine, right now the block is the only thing in it. i have all the accesories, custom labeled wire harness, w56 tranny, rf1a topshift tcase. i just finished installing mc high steer, and 4 inch tg spring lift, im still gonna need my drive shaft lengthened.. i want this thing geered too im going to put 35s on 15 x 10.5, i have 5.29 ring and pinion from marlin for front and a complete locking 5.29 for back. god damn this truck was supposed to be a fun project and done 6 months ago but ive gotten screwed over by some dirty mechanics who i thought were my friends... i dont have much mechanical experience and now this truck is stuck on the east coast where everyone drives jeeps and arent familiar with old toyotas.

does anyone know where i could take thison the east coast to get finished by a trust worthy mechanic who knows old toyos?

i

Last edited by mudturkey77; 07-13-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:24 PM

probably selling this unfinished 1984 pickup w/ 2rz

my truck is on the east coast with my dad i was hoping it was done and drivable. ive put way too much damn money into it and now i cant find a shop to finish my project. my wife and i are having our first child pretty soon and i need first of all a functioning vehicle, 2ndly something that would fit a car seat.

this dream rig is now a broken dream and i hope i can find someone to buy it or trade for a 86-87 built 4runner.

things already installed:there is a brand new 4inch trail gear lift kit front and back, with new marlin crawler high steer with new ifs steering box mounted. i bought custom engine mounts from northwesttoysllc, with a rebuilt 2rz off a 97 t100 - 0 miles bought from gnr auto wrecking in washington state.

things i havent installed: i have a rebuilt w56 tranny i bought from gnr auto wrecking( not sure what model w56 it is unfortionately). new flywheel, have a brand new lce header, a k&n air filter. and most of all the accesories for engine....(off a 97 t100)

i have a used rf1a topshift tcase

then i just bought marlin built complete 5.29 differential with a selectable locker and new air compressor. + 5.29 ring and pinion for front( neither of thes are installed)

I also undercoated frame which i sanded before( wasnt rusty, i bought car in california)

and then i welded a dui brush guard from northwestinnovations then got it powder coated black and hav brand new winch. these both arent installed.

anyways im throwing it out there that im trying to sell this thing, incomplete rig with pretty much ecerything you need for swap...including buying the truck ive put 20 gs into. which i dont expect to get selling it....which sucks, guess this is a common story..

anyone interested in buying or trading for 86-87 built 4runner?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow man that's a pretty bad story. I used to live in Philly and couldn't recommend any shop there, though I don't know much about the 'burbs.

Some of the guys I used to work with had 80's Yotas and they didn't work on them at all, so someone around must do decent work for cheap (the guys were furniture movers that played in bands and their rides were never broke down). Put feelers out on Craigslist and if something doesn't feel right, don't leave your ride with them.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I feel your pain !!

I bought one vehicle with a incomplete swap what a nightmare.

If you even found some one willing to take this job it would be so very intense labor wise.

The best money would be had by parting it out but then you need a place to remove the parts and shipping tends to not make things worth it

Maybe put it on Craig`s list or EBAY AS IS get what you can.

Just curious why not the 3.4 ??
Old 07-23-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm here in NY and I have two '88 4runners. I do have some parts to get a 22r in that truck and running but whats left???

Is it a stick or auto?

Should not be too hard to get it drivable and out to you.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:11 PM

hmmm. ya if I did things over I would have just done the swap myself, and sourced a 3.4 that woulda been bad ass. I rushed looking for a engine to swap into it cause anything with more hp than the 22r woulda made me happy, working on Toyota's was all new for me, and I was excited about getting a reliable 4 cyl with more horse power, and at the time I could only source a 2rz which also was most affordable at the time.

I was trying to squeeze a big project into a 2 month window, the kid who took my truck into his garage and was going to do the swap was a mechanic and a friend of a friend. Thought we coulda cracked open some brews and done some work!!! but I should known from the beginning he was a crook...ended up paying him 800 $ to pull the 22r unthoughtfully... Learned my lesson to feel people out first and not to pay money up front..haha Well thanks for advice yall, not a bad idea putting 22r back in to get it running, maybe ill try selling my w56 trans and 2rz. I'll stay in touch if I need some parts!! Hahah ill keep yuh posted what happens...

Last edited by mudturkey77; 07-26-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:13 PM

thanks for the input!
Old 07-28-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I am sure I have parts as well .

Drop me a PM if you need something