99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

06 double cab Tundra 6BT cummins

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 double cab Tundra 6BT cummins

It seems I am about to go where no man has gone before... I can't find anyone that has attempted to put a diesel in a Tundra yet...have been digging across the internet regularly... I have found a guy in TN that has a 6bt in a tacoma...and have another buddy with a 4bt in a tacoma..but that is it... The reason I am going with the 6bt is because of the ease of the engine...really easy engine to work on compared to other diesels...weight is an issue with these but the power makes up for the extra bracing on the frame that I will have to do. If rebuilt right, these engines will outlast most owners...

I am just starting the hunt to gather parts from here and there to build a 2006 double cab Tundra 4wd powered by a 6bt 5.9 12 valve cummins.... My reasoning behind it is as follows:
1. I think the 2006 model Tundra is the best looking truck body ever built!
2. I feel one of the best, if not the best, diesel engine ever built is the 5.9 12v cummins...(powerstroke 7.3 would be a close second)
3. I want another (another because I sold my 04 access cab) tundra but also want a diesel...can't buy it as a package in the states so I'm going to build it.

Parts in my mind at this point are as follows:

1. 2006 double cab 4wd..color don't matter i will paint anyway

2. 5.9 12v cummins...gen doesn't matter to me

3. p7100 injector pump or VE

4. allison tranny

5. Dana 50 front and 60 rear (probably pull from a superduty)

6. Transfer case???not sure

7. 5" pipes

8. S&B cleaner

9. Mahle pistons (only if i can't find a good engine and have to do a complete build)

10. Fox coilover shocks

11. 3 & 3 lift or higher if needed

12. 36 or 38 x 15 boggers (maybe a good AT...but rather boggers)

I guess I could go on and on with all the other goodies I need to gather up... found a 200k mile 5.9 thats in good running shape for $600 today...if purchased, i would still do a short overhaul on it.... anyway... thats my coming project... let me know what you guys think rather good or bad so we can chat about it. also let me know if you know of anyone that has tackled such a task. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 PM

Good luck, if you make progress be sure to keep us informed. The 5.9 12 valve is definitely one of the best diesels made, would be sweet to see in a Tundra.

Can you share the info you found of the Tacoma with the 5.9?
Old 08-06-2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by stockwell45
Good luck, if you make progress be sure to keep us informed. The 5.9 12 valve is definitely one of the best diesels made, would be sweet to see in a Tundra.

Can you share the info you found of the Tacoma with the 5.9?
Thanks!! I will keep yall updated. You can watch a couple videos of the tacoma with the 5.9 cummins on youtube... It's a beast of a truck man!!! love it... look up 6bt tacoma and you should be able to find it. he has superduty axles, 6bt, not sure of the tranny, coilover shocks and I think he's spinning 42" tires... and it's his daily driver!!! really sweat!!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:59 PM

Sounds amazing hope you can make it happen...
Old 08-06-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by shakes_24
Sounds amazing hope you can make it happen...
Thanks bubba!! I am going to give it a go... just collecting at this point though...
Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can we start a total project cost betting pool?

Put me down for $20 on $25,767 (Cost of an 06 SR5 Tundra included).
Old 08-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by bob200587
Can we start a total project cost betting pool?

Put me down for $20 on $25,767 (Cost of an 06 SR5 Tundra included).
ha ha haaa... i like the idea!! I am shooting for around $15k... but my guess is $12,327... I think it's a pretty reasonable guess pending on two things... 1. If I can get away without a ton of machine work on the engine... 2. If I don't have to buy new pistons or a head....
If I can get past those two opstacles, I'm good to go... Fabricating is going to be a freebee cash wise because I have enough extra material laying around here to probably build a new frame.... and will do that part myself...the biggest expense is the tundra...still trying to find a good deal on one right now.... Do any of you know if there are any benefits to buying the 4wd frame versus a 2wd frame and converting after?... is the 4wd 2003-06 tundra frame more rigid than the 2wd? ...

i've located one cummins 5.9 12 valve for $600 with vacuum pump and steering set up but it has a VE injector pump...which i can deal with.. rather the P7100 just for versatility... I also found another 5.9 24 valve that I am waiting to hear back on a price for..... one other line I have hanging is with Cummins memphis on a reconned 5.9 12 valve block, head, pistons and injector pump set up... so we'll see... but the truck is the big one... the rest is pocket change compared to it!!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 PM

Collecting seems to take forever if your on any kind of budget..... It's taking me forever to get my rig done but I'm poor
Old 08-07-2012, 05:21 PM

This should be a really interesting build, cant wait to see how it turns out!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:46 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Scrib'd
Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by shakes_24
Collecting seems to take forever if your on any kind of budget..... It's taking me forever to get my rig done but I'm poor
I'm not rich by no means..but extremely persistant... I am shooting to have all the main components (truck, engine, tranny and axles) by the end of the year.... i want to have either the truck, motor or both by hunting season in mid september...and the axles and tranny by the end of the year...

I found a decent 05 4door 4wd tundra in Texas just a minute ago online listed for 7k (hopefully can get it for 5k)... i have a buddy that lives within an hour from the place... he is going check it out for me tomorrow... so i might have the truck sooner than expected....
Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 PM

Aight... so I had that mixed up... the truck for 7k is in northern Georgia...the one in Texas is 10k... either way my buddy hasn't had a chance to get out to the one in Texas... The one in Georgia is an 04 4 door 4wd... The one in Texas is an 05 4 door 4wd... let the arguing with the sales people begin ol boy!!! ha ha... looks like the truck will be the first purchase.... I'm shooting for 5k for the truck...we'll see
Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 AM

after much debate and research, I think I will go with the 4bt for the tundra instead of the 6bt.... main reasoning is weight and length... I can achieve my desired power from the 4bt (275-300hp 400-500lb torque) with just a few upgrades to the engine.. and it is much lighter and shorter... I can keep this truck with a semi-sleeper look but still have a beast under the hood!! unless something changes drastically, it will be a 4bt twin turbo under the hood...
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 AM

awesome!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds awesome! Subscribed
Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 AM

theres a few 4bt's at one of my vendors shops in Houston....I'm going to try to make the trip next week to check um out... i'm ready to get started on rebuilding an engine.. been a while since I've done that!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:57 AM

by the way... 3 of those engines are sitting as cores... the other 2 are recon engines from cummins
Old 08-18-2012, 05:19 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
So I how are you going to extract that much power from that lump? Bigger injection pump and turbo or mod the existing pump? I read that the 4bt is just a smaller 6bt. I'm sure you are going to need an intercooler to make the desired power, but how does the modding affect reliability?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i love diesel swaps, looking forward to this one
Old 08-18-2012, 07:29 PM

This is what I am looking to do the engine:

port and polish the head
arp head studs
hy35 over hx52 twin turbos
either cam grinding or a new colt cam
kdp tab (nothing to do with power)
may modify the plentum (will explain below)
100hp injectors or 5x12's
new oil & water pumps (pending age and condition)
ve pump
new fuel pin
smoke screw adjustment
power screw adjustment
small advance in timing

think thats bout it... a buddy of mine built a different plentum for his engine... he cut off the old intake and built one with an individual pipes leading to a catch tank, then from the catch tank there was a pipe exiting on each end of the catch tank that met and were entered into the intercooler as one.... was a really nice set up... the thought was to give each intake the same amount of air... was the first I had seen like it...and I am thinking of doing the same for mine...

as far as durability, this will be minor adjustments for this engine... they can withstand much much more... I know a guy who is getting 496hp out of his (with a methanol shot)... he has a bit more into the engine..but drives it daily and has been doing so for quite some time without many problems.... I will not be trying for anything near that!!! this will be a daily driver, and will hopefully have a sleeper type of look with the minimum lift to clear for the tires.... i will mess wit the suspension a bit...probably a 4link... or 3 and 4... not sure.... also am not sold totally on the shocks but like the fox coil overs..... much more digging to do but this is where I am so far...

Quick Reply: 06 double cab Tundra 6BT cummins