YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200/)
-   -   TPF racing's '04 tacoma build! Picture heavy! (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200/tpf-racings-04-tacoma-build-picture-heavy-254559/)

sirhk100 12-10-2012 08:12 PM

Just cause it runs doesn't mean it's done! Mounted rear amber and blue light, mounted up a billet aluminum prototype quick release setup from the company I work for on the jack handle and fabbed up a pretty simple quick release jack mount setup also. Kinda figured video would show the action and simplicity better then pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t9e8...ature=youtu.be

racerflea 12-11-2012 09:25 AM

I see!! Yeah ive never thought about how they change tires just always figured thats what chase trucks were for

sirhk100 12-13-2012 02:34 PM

Bodywork is finished, siren is hooked up and rear amber and blue lights are hooked up along with a few other things. Not sure what tonight's agenda really is at this point. I've got a couple for sure to do items but not enough for a full night's work. I guess that's just signs that it's almost done!

racerflea 12-13-2012 05:07 PM

!!! I hate when projects slow down lol oh well.. btw what are blue and amber lights for?? To signify the rear en

sirhk100 12-14-2012 06:20 AM

All race vehicles have to have a rear facing amber to help someone charging thru the dust see you a bit sooner. Blue is cause we're considered a slower class basically and it hopefully helps keep guys coming up on us at twice the speed were running from exploding the rear of the truck.

racerflea 12-14-2012 06:30 AM

Ah ok makrs sense!! So when does season start?

sirhk100 12-14-2012 09:47 AM

The first two races we have planned are Jan 12th and Feb 23/24th.

We have an appointment for shock tuning this Sunday morning and then Jason is in town next Thursday and Friday to finally get to drive the truck himself. He's sat in it once or twice about a month ago and that's it so far.

racerflea 12-14-2012 12:03 PM

Oh wow well good luck!!!

sirhk100 12-17-2012 07:08 AM

Well, didn't get a ton done over the weekend but made a bit more progress. Got the driveshaft safety loop installed and also fabbed up a carrier bearing support brace setup. Also got the shocks dialed in quite a bit better. Wouldn't really say we gained a whole lot of speed thru the testing session cause we really only have so much motor. I will say the ride got smoothed out quite a bit, it's much more controllable and reacts much better on hard hits. The steering wheel stays virtually straight with minimal feedback thru the rough. It's actually impressive to watch the in car footage of how little the steering wheel gets used, not much different then running down the highway.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s1543784f.jpeg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s61147089.jpeg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s381232c2.jpeg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s6400df47.jpeg

sirhk100 12-17-2012 09:31 AM

Just a short teaser of what's to come. Sorry for the lo res version, we'll have some HD stuff to show relatively soon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvVZFximhsM

racerflea 12-17-2012 09:57 AM

Looking good guess u also tested it fully geared ehy?? Lol why are the bed skins off though

sirhk100 12-17-2012 10:26 AM

Yeah, better safe then sorry on it and if we have the gear we'd be kicking ourself for not wearing it if something goes wrong. We pushed it pretty much at race pace for a lot of yesterday so it just makes sense also it's the best way to make sure on race day that there's no surprises that we didn't know about regarding our gear.

Bedsides were off cause the first part of the day was shock tuning and not knowing how many times they needed to be on and off the truck or adjusted it's just way easier to get access to them without the bedsides off. Figured it's easier and saves the chances of damaging them in the process.

racerflea 12-17-2012 10:42 AM

Lol well i meant with tires jack and tools but i dont blame u on safety.. looks like the is jarred on landing seems lije that might gurt after a while yall got neck braces?

sirhk100 12-17-2012 10:56 AM

Ahhh, all that stuff, well the main purpose for yesterday was shock tuning so I wanted the truck setup as close to race trim as possible to get the most out of the session.

As far as the ride, it's all part of the game, drive the truck as fast as you can without breaking it or yourself. Right now, no we don't have them. We've discussed them though.

racerflea 12-17-2012 11:33 AM

If yall decide to get them id loom at the type nascar uses they seem to get out quickly of burning cars lol

j prich 12-17-2012 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by racerflea (Post 52014446)
If yall decide to get them id loom at the type nascar uses they seem to get out quickly of burning cars lol

Funny that you bring this up as there has been a lengthy discussion about the topic of head/neck restraints on a popular off road racing forum. There is a lot of debate about the pros and cons of the neck restraints used in other forms of racing.

Depending on the type of crash, the popular circle/pavement track kinds can prevent neck injuries, especially from front to back impacts. The downside, according to desert racers who've used them (not speaking from experience) is that they severly limit mobility and vision. Unlike circle tracks where you have spotters and a relatively known track, desert race courses have variable terrain. Some drivers prefer to have the mobility to be able to look around comfortably.

In addition, traditional HANS devices are fairly bulky and cumbersome. In a circle track race, first responders are usually on scene within seconds, and can assist the driver out of the vehicle. If you crash in the desert, you are likely alone and depending on the position/condition of your vehicle, getting out can be a problem.

A friend of ours actually took a hard nose dive crash at a race last weekend and fractured his neck. He wasnt wearing a brace and there is no way to prove I suppose whether or not it would have helped him given the dynamics of the crash but it definitely is a scary reminder.

Most desert racing organizations dont currently require restraints but for liability purposes alone its likely to assume that it's coming at some point.

racerflea 12-17-2012 10:10 PM

You sound well versed in the topic lol

sirhk100 12-18-2012 06:55 AM

My gut feeling is Greg's injury 2 weekends ago would've happened with or without a neck support. Sometime I'm actually going to jump in the truck with my leatt on. I'm 99% sure it won't work but I want to try it. It's more for side to side and backwards motions though, not forward cause typically when you crash your bike your heads going to the back or side for the most part, not typically forward unless you're going somersaults down the road.

I was looking at one in person at Butch's last night. $600 and your current harnesses won't work with it. I think it has to have 2" shoulder straps, not the wide 3" ones you have now.

racerflea 12-18-2012 07:57 AM

Lol yalls post through me off @ first i forgot to look at who posted lol

600$ ouch... thats alot for something that may or may not work.. i would feel safer in 3" straps vs. 2"

sirhk100 12-18-2012 02:32 PM

LOL, yeah that's the actual true owner of the truck, it's just on long term loan to my garage! HA! In fact, he actually hasn't even drivin it yet! Sucka!!! Thursday is his big day finally!

Funny thing with neck braces is I wear a $400 one when I ride/race my dirt bike yet there's arguments all day long since they hit the market on their effectiveness. Same thing with my $600 knee braces... But you know what, when I wear them, I feel safer that's for sure! I've tested both out and won't say either has saved my neck or my knee but I will say that I know my knee braces helped a ton in 2 different specific wrecks and I can think of one time my neck brace definitely did it's job! Would I truly have been injured without the neck brace? I doubt it honestly but I probably would've had at least a sore neck which I didn't have any of. Both times I really tested the knee braces though, I'm confident I would've drawn a lot of blood from one and the other possibly internal damage or tweaking... Point being, both products have people that say they're not effective by my first hand experience is they are.

And with all that said, you can read and read and read on head/neck restraints for cars but until you actually try one yourself and see how it works I don't think you can really say one way or another.

Jason, if I bring my bike out thurs or fri I'll have my leatt with me for sure so it'll be interesting to see if it works in the truck at all. I don't think it's going to and even if it does, I'm not sure how effective it really will be in that application.