Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

My 96 taco build! Supercharged 3rz

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the 1st gen s/c on my 1999 Tacoma, and I love it. Lots of low end power, but it does suck gas like crazy. In comparison with my 4 cylinder turbocharged car, there is no comparison, much better low end response w/ the supercharger. Better top end power though from the turbo. Obviously depends on boost, displacement, number of cylinders etc...so difficult to compare apples and oranges.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ian951
I've got the 1st gen s/c on my 1999 Tacoma, and I love it. Lots of low end power, but it does suck gas like crazy. In comparison with my 4 cylinder turbocharged car, there is no comparison, much better low end response w/ the supercharger. Better top end power though from the turbo. Obviously depends on boost, displacement, number of cylinders etc...so difficult to compare apples and oranges.
What is your turbo car? Seeing as you say it is laggy i am guessing it is a DSM/EVO maybe even an STI they still have a little lag.

All of those cars use turbos that are 25+ years old. Modern turbos are far far better.

If you are set on the SC, then not trying to bash you but i have to ask, why not just do the much cheaper and easier V6 swap?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:28 PM

It's a Porsche 944 Turbo with a dual ball bearing Garrett T04E/T3 turbo. No, not the latest GT-series compressor and turbine wheels, but the same modern dual ball bearing cartridge. Lag is not bad at all compared to stock KKK, but significant compared to my Tacoma w/ supercharger.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:01 PM

4.0 v6 be nice. than supercharge it haha
cant wait to see more pix of the build. i think everyone needs to stop talking bout turbos and more bout this build and superchargers
Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 AM

nice!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
What is your turbo car? Seeing as you say it is laggy i am guessing it is a DSM/EVO maybe even an STI they still have a little lag.

All of those cars use turbos that are 25+ years old. Modern turbos are far far better.

If you are set on the SC, then not trying to bash you but i have to ask, why not just do the much cheaper and easier V6 swap?

yes i have driven tons of turbo cars. i have been a valet driver for 2 years and i understand the difference between a sc and turbo. I dont want a v6 swap when I can get more power with my SC 3rz. As far as everyone saying to turbo it i wouldnt have much low end boost if any... which is mainly what I want out of my motor right now.

sooo my parts are coming on the 18th! My pistons were on back order unfortunately but Ill take pics of all the new parts when they get here.

Anyone have a preference on gauges???

Will I need upgraded fuel lines or pump???

Last edited by Snoqualmie; 03-09-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I would run an upgraded pump at the very least. I'm running a walbro 190. I think that would be plenty for the 4 cyl. For guages i'm going with stuff from innovate as far as air fuel.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 AM

im jealous, i got a 3rz 95 its my first truck eventually maybe more when its not my DD i wanna supercharge it, i personally think that supercharge makes more sense for offroading and the like because of the low end power and increased, ive never drive a turbo or a s/c so i could be wrong but thats what makes sense in my head
Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 AM

the site im lookin at says thats its for dsm/evo/wrx sti. I know my pump is in the tank but is this going to be easy to install?

http://www.maperformance.com/walbro-...o-wrx-sti.html
Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Snoqualmie
yes i have driven tons of turbo cars. i have been a valet driver for 2 years and i understand the difference between a sc and turbo. I dont want a v6 swap when I can get more power with my SC 3rz. As far as everyone saying to turbo it i wouldnt have much low end boost if any... which is mainly what I want out of my motor right now.

sooo my parts are coming on the 18th! My pistons were on back order unfortunately but Ill take pics of all the new parts when they get here.

Anyone have a preference on gauges???

Will I need upgraded fuel lines or pump???
Dude, you just spend 6k on performance parts but didnt do research on fuel? Geez.
You need a 190 walboro fuel pump from urdusa.com
BTW, you can get a turbo that spools up at low RPM if you'd like, tho most people get turbos that spool up later.
Seriously, go on customtacos.com performance forum, there are TONNES of knowledgeable people there with 2rz/3rz's...

Also, i'd be impressed if you hit 200whp with the built s/c'd 3rz. What do you think you will hit?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
Dude, you just spend 6k on performance parts but didnt do research on fuel? Geez.
You need a 190 walboro fuel pump from urdusa.com
BTW, you can get a turbo that spools up at low RPM if you'd like, tho most people get turbos that spool up later.
Seriously, go on customtacos.com performance forum, there are TONNES of knowledgeable people there with 2rz/3rz's...

Also, i'd be impressed if you hit 200whp with the built s/c'd 3rz. What do you think you will hit?
I did plenty of research on fuel and 1500 of tha 6k was spent on http://www.lceperformance.com/LCE-Pr...-p/1063028.htm
just overlooked the fuel pressure problem thanks for the tip I ordered that kit from URD

SCREW TURBOS!! the sc gives you 40 percent hp increase. just with that alone I would hit 210... do the math, I have listed all the parts I have ordered and I am getting an 8psi pulley.

stalk 150
+ about 60 from s/c
is more than 200...
BE IMPRESSED

Last edited by Snoqualmie; 03-10-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:57 AM

SCREW TURBOS!! the sc gives you 40 percent hp increase. just with that alone I would hit 210... do the math, I have listed all the parts I have ordered and I am getting an 8psi pulley.

stalk 150
+ about 60 from s/c
is more than 200...
BE IMPRESSED
Stock 150hp is at the crank, not at the wheels, expect that to be more like 120whp, 40% increase = 30whp, putting you at 150ish total on a dyno. I'd be impressed if you hit 200+ as well, good luck with the build, but be realistic.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

stalk 150
+ about 60 from s/c
is more than 200...
BE IMPRESSED
Don't take this the wrong way, just pointing out a few things i think you have not considered

The Stock HP you mention is 150 CRANK hp, wheel hp would be round 120hp if i had to guess, there are dynos if you look around. Never paid a lot of attention to stock 4 banger dynos myself. but drive train losses on our trucks is about 20%, that is well known.

With a supercharger and your mods you should gain around 40%, you are pretty close there. That still only puts you around 170rwhp, same as a bone stock 5vz.

Now lets look at the money, for $6k you could have bought a 5vz and all the parts to do the swap AND a used supercharger and made around 210-220rwhp EASY with money left over for cams if you wanted.

You might make more power then a stock 5vz, but i HIGHLY doubt you make more power then a stock supercharged 5vz which would be cheaper.

EDIT: Ian beat me to it lol.

We are not bashing you but we are trying to reason some logic with you. What you are doing is cool and all, but frankly doesn't make the best use of the money. Now if you have money to burn and just want to do it that way, go for it. But there just seems to be a lack of real world research on this build.

Like was suggested earlier go do some reading on customtacos.com, they have a ton of performance info over there and i am sure they have a build just like yours someplace.

In the end it is your truck, do what you want. If you were not so defensive and would just explain why you are doing it the way you are doing it, people would leave you alone on all the boards.

If your reason is just that you have a ton of money you want to spend, then that is fine. Spend it all you want, it is helping our economy!

But if it is because you really think that this is the best use of your money, some explanation would be nice and maybe you could try listening to what people are saying? No one is being rude or "bashing" you here. We are just trying to understand what you are doing and why and there have been some very good points brought up that honestly it doesn't seem like you even read.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 03-10-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:42 PM

I don't want a 5vz motor. I don't think I should have to really explain myself as to why I want to spend the money on a 3rz motor. I have read about a lot of really sick builds with the 3rz motor and I think its an amazing block to build on. I plan on keeping this truck for a very long time but I want to keep this block even longer. If it ever does get totaled I would still have this nice motor.

Putting a 6 cylinder into it wouldn't be anything special at all. Tons of people have a 6 banger... But for me to spend the same amount of money on my motor I already have it will be much more unique.

After buying a 5vz and everything else for the swap I wouldn't have any money for the awesome fuel system I have now. I understand everyone's concerns that I am not spending quite how you would but that's not the point of this post at all.

I AM SUPERCHARGING A 3RZ not doing a motor swap and I am definitely not goin to turbo it. Maybe in 150k miles when my s/c goes out I will put it into a celica and put 30lbs of boost on it.

As far as HP goes IDK what to expect I know of many posts of people getting 270 with 10lb boosted from a turbo but haven't seen many people S/C before.

Last edited by Snoqualmie; 03-10-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Thats fine, i said all along if you just want to burn money, feel free you are helping the economy!

Just can't understand why personally, why spend more for less? just doesn't make sense from my budget hurting wallet.

Far as power output, a turbo will give you a LOT more power then a supercharger. A supercharger uses power to make power first off.

It can take 30-50rwhp to drive a supercharger easy, that is power you instantly gain when going turbo. Not to mention that turbos are much more efficient to start with.

With the right turbo i could see 250rwhp @ 10psi, no way that is happening with a an MP62 supercharger. You would be lucky to break 200rwhp unless you have massive flow mods to the head which will hurt your bottom end about the same as running a small turbo.

I really do wish you the best of luck with this build, i just don't think you know what you are getting into or what you are going to get out of it.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i agree with the v6 guys on thats what i would do, but i also agree with the OP because this thing is gonna be soo amazingly sweet and unique. i say go for it, its what you wanna do, make your truck like nobody elses
Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 PM

I don't want a 5vz motor. I don't think I should have to really explain myself as to why I want to spend the money on a 3rz motor. I have read about a lot of really sick builds with the 3rz motor and I think its an amazing block to build on. I plan on keeping this truck for a very long time but I want to keep this block even longer. If it ever does get totaled I would still have this nice motor.

Putting a 6 cylinder into it wouldn't be anything special at all. Tons of people have a 6 banger... But for me to spend the same amount of money on my motor I already have it will be much more unique.

After buying a 5vz and everything else for the swap I wouldn't have any money for the awesome fuel system I have now. I understand everyone's concerns that I am not spending quite how you would but that's not the point of this post at all.

I AM SUPERCHARGING A 3RZ not doing a motor swap and I am definitely not goin to turbo it. Maybe in 150k miles when my s/c goes out I will put it into a celica and put 30lbs of boost on it.

As far as HP goes IDK what to expect I know of many posts of people getting 270 with 10lb boosted from a turbo but haven't seen many people S/C before.
Superchargers add way more heat than turbo, so that will limit your power potential, and as stated, they use power to make power, whereas a turbo uses waste energy to make power. There comes a point where a smaller pulley for more boost will hurt more than it helps due to heat production, and an M62 isnt' a huge SC. If you have modest power goals, and are more focused on a power curve that makes for great driveability, then you are on the right track.

It's a very cool project, and I hope you get what you want out of it, but you aren't on the path to big power numbers, and honestly there's no point anyways, nobody races pickup trucks, lol.

What are you doing for tuning? I'm fairly new to Toyota trucks, so I'm not sure what's out there.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

ECU is actually a good question, i am curious as well, meant to ask that earlier.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 PM

I want to get all of my power before 5k rpm. The high boost pulley isnt really that much boost but I am not very familiar with tuning. I know this to be the easiest to setup since the ECU is just up or down adjustments. After we get everything setup and roughly tuned I am goin to drive it to a shop to fine tune and dyno.

I am shooting for something reliable and right now I am considering doing a meth injection to help with the temp. Im not looking for any huge hp numbers since I am going to be commuting in this truck. I think if I were going to be using a 5vz I would use a lot bigger injectors and my gas mileage would be exponentially worse.

Anyways.. think its worth it to meth/water inject for this build? If so which kit should I get for most reliability.

Last edited by Snoqualmie; 03-10-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Contributing Member

I want to get all of my power before 5k rpm. The high boost pulley isnt really that much boost but I am not very familiar with tuning. I know this to be the easiest to setup since the ECU is just up or down adjustments. After we get everything setup and roughly tuned I am goin to drive it to a shop to fine tune and dyno.

I am shooting for something reliable and right now I am considering doing a meth injection to help with the temp. Im not looking for any huge hp numbers since I am going to be commuting in this truck. I think if I were going to be using a 5vz I would use a lot bigger injectors and my gas mileage would be exponentially worse.

Anyways.. think its worth it to meth/water inject for this build? If so which kit should I get for most reliability.
Don't take this the wrong way but i can tell from this post you really have no idea what you are getting into or what you are going to get out of it. Your thinking is also about a decade or 2 out of date. No offense, really.

First off what ECU are you getting, the stock toyota ecu is NOT tuneable. Tuning is NOT just as easy as up or down no matter what setup you have even if you are NA there is more to it then that. Now some systems are harder then others thats for sure. You will need at the least a piggy back or better yet a stand alone to tune it.

Second, larger injectors does NOT mean worse gas milage or a worse running truck in any form. I know of a TON of cars running 2200cc injectors that idle perfectly fine at normal idle RPM's. Even stock cars with them run fine. Modern injectors have come a long way and are capable of doing way more then older injectors.

Third, the tune is the MOST important part of your build. Without a doubt a cars tune does more for power and performance and gas mileage then any other single thing on any car. I have seen cars make 500+rwhp on a stock engine with a good tune and other cars blow up at 300rwhp with a bad tune.

Last, Yes, i think meth injection is a VERY good idea and highly recommend it but i also recommend a high quality system. I can talk you ear off for hours on the subject of meth injection, it is a pet project of mine for several years now and i love the stuff. Run it in all my cars. Feel free to Ask any questions you have.

Quick Reply: My 96 taco build! Supercharged 3rz