Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Json's TURDrunner Build up thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Json's TURDrunner Build up thread

So got my 1996 4Runner SR5 4x4 3.4l (no locker as of right now) in late October 2016. Had about stock everything except for a new timing belt and a moog grill bumper. Hood paint is in horrible condition and the tires were horribly dry rotted. Steering rack was leaking pretty bad. And drivers side window was finicky. Got it for $3300 and had about 142,000 miles on it. Left it alone for a week after I got it and decided that it was time to start working on it!

Heres a list of the things I did in order

1. Synthetic high mileage oil change
2. Transmission fluid change w/ filter change
3.new front brakes
4. New passenger side steering knuckle with new bearings and bolts
5.new upper ball joints from oreilly (don't know brand)
6. Got some adjustable Sway-a-way racerunner 2.0 coilovers from OfferUp for $500 (usually cost $1000-1500 new)
7. Got some brand new toytec super flex coils and fox shocks from a Tacoma for $150 off of OfferUp.
8. New rack and pinion and high pressure line and power steering pump installed
9. New tie rod ends
10.new drivers side cv axle
11.diff drop from eBay $20
12. New BFG KO2 265/75r16 for $800 installed
13.got a CBI spare tire hitch carrier for $100 off of Craigslist and works great!

FUTURE PLANS
1. New sway bar end links
2.new drivers side window motor
3. New ignition cylinder
4.roof rack
5. New rear shocks(undecided)
6.matching spare tire

First picture I have of it. Went camping around lake cuyamaca. BEFORE PICTURE AS OF RIGHT NOW

Decided that it was time for some new front brakes and the drivers side ended up going flawlessly but the passengers side ended up being a different story and one of the caliper bolts got seized and was basically impossible to get taken off the steering knuckle

As you can tell from the pictures I tried everything to take it off but did more damage in the process and decided to go to a junk yard and get my self a new steering knuckle. Ended up finding one for $100 for a junk yard with blown bearing so decided to rebuilt that with new Bearings and made it like new!
Ended up finding some Sway a way racerunner 2.0 coilovers for $500 with a recent recharge and decided to pull the trigger and get them. They were basically brand new with a few scratches here and there but nothing serious. The shocks it had on it before were beat and ready for a change Ended up changing both upper ball joints while getting the new chicks in. Then it was time to move to the rear and install the rear lift. The rear was pretty easy to put in and didn't have a rake when it was done. Decided to take it to go get an allignement and a few things happened there. Found out that the whole power steering system was crap and the cv boots came off due to the lift. Got pretty upset and as I found this after I got the allignment done. Decided to do the steering job my self as the shop quoted me $1700 for work and parts. Bought the rack and pinion refurbished from oreillys for $400 and a power steering pump refurbished for $110 and a brand new high pressure steering line for $100 from oreillys. New tie rod ends. Got it all installed and working with no problems. Decide that the from lift was a little too much and took it to a different shop to get a front suspension lowered about 3/4 of an inch on each side giving it a little rake. And a new allignment as well. After that I got a new cv axle for the drivers side and got a diff drop from eBay for $20. Better than most of there other prices after that I did diff fluid change on the front and still waiting to do the rear and transfer case. Found a good deal on some new bfg ko2 265/75r16 for $160 each tire and ended up being $800 installed and feel great! Last thing I did was cut the from lower bumper around the tires to give it more clearance and looks pretty damn mean too. Will post more pictures through the week.

Last edited by Json.TURDrunner; 03-19-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice looking Runner you have there. I always loved that color. Nice score on the coil overs.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:29 PM

Found an addictive off-road plate bumper for $600 on offer up. The website states it's 100% bolt on but doesn't seem to mention cutting of the frame . But took me about 2 hours to install by myself. Pretty good fit too and I'm happy with it

Old 04-30-2017, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Nice score on that bumper, and some of those other bits too, a promising beginning on an already nice truck.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
New bumper looks good!
Old 08-08-2017, 03:23 PM

Ended up removing the faded fender flares to give a cleaner look and I like the look of it . Around the same time I decided to change the radiator and put in a b&m transmission cooler running inline with the new radiator. After all that was done I installed some new led fog lights to my new addicted off-road bumper and did the turn signal blinker mod and ended up working pretty good. Changed out the front brake lines.Also replaced the intake tube as my old one was cracking . Painted the front grill and now the TURDrunner doesn't look too dirty!
Things to do:
new window motor
weathertech floor mats
new lower ball joints
sway bar end links front and rear

Old 08-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Gotta love a 96, looking forward to more.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:47 PM

My window motor came in today and took about 20 minutes to install! Feels like new
Old 08-16-2017, 11:25 AM

Bit the bullet and ordered oem lower ball joints and got some brand new total chaos UCA. Also decided I’m going to lift the front about an inch more so went out and got a spammer wrench from ORW. Can’t wait to see how it turns out
Old 08-19-2017, 01:14 PM

Finally got the total chaos UCA installed. They weren’t hard at all to put in. Greased them up and torqued then down good. Threw my alignment off but going to get a new alignment after I install the new oem lower ball joints. Here’s a few pictures of the process

Old 08-20-2017, 07:26 PM

Put the new lower ball joints. Not fun if you’re doing it by yourself.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

Loosen upper a-arm bolt = easier. Tighten a-arm bolt after truck is back on the ground.
Loctite the 'little' bolts.

Nice work for a peace of mind job.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
Loosen upper a-arm bolt = easier. Tighten a-arm bolt after truck is back on the ground.
Loctite the 'little' bolts.

Nice work for a peace of mind job.

my biggest problem was One side of the cv axle coming out of its boot. Had to take it out and fidget with it until it went back in. Other than that pretty easy job.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:09 PM

So going to be away for a couple of months but go a couple of things that I need to do. Gotta change the diff fluid on the front rear and transfer case. New sway bar end links. And finally an allignment. After that I will start working on the rear. Will off road in between projects so hopefully nothing breaks down on me
Old 08-22-2017, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Json.TURDrunner
my biggest problem was One side of the cv axle coming out of its boot. Had to take it out and fidget with it until it went back in. Other than that pretty easy job.
Ah, well then that thing I said wouldn't have done you a bit of good, would it?
Old 08-26-2017, 01:56 PM

So I saw this today and made me wonder if would buy it if I had the money.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:43 PM

Lifted my suspension about 1in higher and it made a good difference. Went to go get an allignment and my LCA bushings were blown so I had to get them replaced for my allignment to be good. But my front end is completely re done and feels like new. New total chaos UCA, New brakes and brake lines, New cv axles, New lower ball joints and sway away 2.0 race runners. Now I gotta re do my rear suspension. New toytec boss shocks and bump stop spacers, new rear brake lines and adjustable rear trac bar are all on my list of what I need to do.