Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Thanks Mr. Junk.
50....I didn't know I could get that old!

And a new distraction, a rattly noise suddenly appeared that appears to be coming from the rt rear drum, hoping for broken or misplaced spring or something. The flu is finally giving up harassing me, just down to coughing my guts out. I'll try to peek at it this afternoon.
The hubby gifted me a couple of winch solenoid relocation kits so I can cram the Zeon into the bumper. I think I'm only going to need one so am going to share the other with him.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Pulled the drum on the 96, nothing bad stuck out, pulled the abs sender, no damage to it. Put the drum back on and was able to recreate the squeak. It was cold, I am sick, it will wait further probing. At least it doesn't sound too alarming.

I also pulled the charcoal canister off the 96 and stuck it in the 99 to see if it'd throw a code in the 99...curiosity and the availability of a more finicky truck and all that.
I know the vsv is out of spec and that it occasionally makes a weird whistling wheezing sound that lead me to test it.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

The truck's been parked since I pulled and reinstalled the drum until yesterday when I made a 40 mile round trip beer run (Schlafly Double Bean, Mexican Chocolate Stout, Blueberry Coffee Stout, Tasmanian IPA).
Now the abs activates at the end of every stop no matter how gentle. No abs light. I looked for broken abs wiring near the sensors, those all look good.
Also, I checked the rear diff fluid level (full) but still haven't pulled the axle on the right rear. The squeak is gone though.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 297,664 miles

Found the cause of the slight rattle/squeak that started on Feb 8th, pulling out of the parking lot on my way home from work. Parked it when I got home,

pulled the right rear drum on the 12th and saw nothing. I couldn't get it to squeak again until I reinstalled the drum, and it was very intermittent and hard to hear. Pulled the abs sensor to see if the axle shaft had been moving/rubbing against it but aside from some black junk it was fine. Wiped off junk and reinstalled.

Kept it parked until the 16th, when I drove it for a beer run. Could no longer hear the noise but oddly the abs was activating at the end of stops during this run. Checked the sensor wires all the way 'round and all looked good, was suspecting the problem was at the right rear again.

The snow melted and went away so I pulled the right rear abs sensor and sure enough, full of junk. With sinking feeling pulled the right rear axle. Bingo.
Name:  BjsEUpK.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  77.7 KB

A lot of ughs were said, and several yeps.

There was never the tell-tale oil all over the tires from a wobbling axle allowing oil past the seal. Until the rattle/squeak there wasn't anything growling or too weird sounding. I'll get a new Toyota bearing and seals and have it pressed by Phase II machine because they know how to do it correctly. Getting one of these axles out is scary easy, remove tire, 4 nuts, brake line, parking brake cable keeper, remove axle.

Went through my records, the right rear wheel bearing had about 120,000 miles on it, last replaced with toyota parts in 2008

Last edited by habanero; 02-18-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:55 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
dang! glad you caught it at home

looks like a new bearing cup will help..
Old 02-19-2018, 07:24 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Well there's your problem!

It is a good thing the bearing stayed together enough to not leave you stranded and you were able to figure this out at home.

Time for some new parts!

Old 02-19-2018, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dropzone
dang! glad you caught it at home

looks like a new bearing cup will help..
Yep, just a bearing cup!
Sealed bearing and other bits on the way.

Originally Posted by old87yota
Well there's your problem!

It is a good thing the bearing stayed together enough to not leave you stranded and you were able to figure this out at home.

Time for some new parts!

When I pulled it apart I wasn't expecting that much mess after that short a warning.
New parts on the way!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
That bearing is toast! I'm glad your diligence to weird noises paid off. I'm curious why you ordered new parts though. Don't you have a green parts rig hanging out at your house?

By the way, my door lock actuators are going out on me and I'm going to replace them before the heat comes, since they work worse in hot sunlight. Thanks for posting good pic and instructions on how to replace them. I don't know if I'd tear into it without good info.

Also the panaracer fire's are still working out great. I did a 17 mile downhill run on an old train track and they were awesome. Plus the regular trips to drop off the kid at kindergarten on a one wheeled trailer with the 2 year old on the handlebar seat. No complaints so far!
Old 02-20-2018, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JBurt
That bearing is toast! I'm glad your diligence to weird noises paid off. I'm curious why you ordered new parts though. Don't you have a green parts rig hanging out at your house?

By the way, my door lock actuators are going out on me and I'm going to replace them before the heat comes, since they work worse in hot sunlight. Thanks for posting good pic and instructions on how to replace them. I don't know if I'd tear into it without good info.

Also the panaracer fire's are still working out great. I did a 17 mile downhill run on an old train track and they were awesome. Plus the regular trips to drop off the kid at kindergarten on a one wheeled trailer with the 2 year old on the handlebar seat. No complaints so far!
Oh yeah....that green parts truck! And those wheel bearings are under a year old. Think anybody would notice if I swapped?? Easily under half an hour......Actually, isn't YOURS green now too???

Love hearing info here is potentially helpful, there's another issue that can cause actuator problems but I haven't experience it, just remember posts, so don't know the 411. I'm not sure, if all the actuators are failing at the same time it might be that issue?
The little MOPS motors are still holding up great.

17 miles of downhill??? Jealous!! Glad the tires are working for you, of all the tires I've run they're my favorites for the terrain around here. My Niner's wheels came with Mavic Crossmax Quest, not so much a fan of them.
At the rate you're going you'll need a triple tandem.
Name:  zTTi9Cu.png
Views: 34
Size:  202.2 KB
https://co-motion.com/bikes/trident_conv
(just don't look at the price!)

Last edited by habanero; 02-20-2018 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Double post? Need. More. Coffee.

Last edited by habanero; 02-20-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
FYI -- you don't actually need to get the bearings directly from Toyota. Our axles (the 96-00 ones) spec a 6308 double-sealed bearing which is a standard size. I was able to find some Nachi's for $25 each when I did mine. The factory original ones in there were Nachi's as well.

Or, maybe it's time for a full floater conversion
Old 02-20-2018, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RustBucket
FYI -- you don't actually need to get the bearings directly from Toyota. Our axles (the 96-00 ones) spec a 6308 double-sealed bearing which is a standard size. I was able to find some Nachi's for $25 each when I did mine. The factory original ones in there were Nachi's as well.

Or, maybe it's time for a full floater conversion
Would LOVE a full floater, after a few other things I'd love more and don't really need need. My lovable husband said I should just throw Land Cruiser axles at both ends. Hmmmm.....

Yeah, I knew about the bearing and seals- not that I thought of them when I ordered my parts- and I'm not sure about the retainers. Phase II will re-use the abs ring so yay for that. Maybe I should've gone your route. Too late now, at least this should be the last one until another 120,000 miles, knock on wood!
Toyota 90363-40020-77 Bearing 64.72 is what I've got coming.

You know Mr. Rustbucket, thanks for bringing it up, It's good info that there's options for anyone reading this and needing to do their axles, Nachi, Koyo, I also saw Marlin Crawler has a kit though it doesn't seem to entirely match what's on there now.

Last edited by habanero; 02-20-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:17 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by RustBucket
6308 bearings' fit virtually all 4Runners and trucks back to at least the early 1980s'
Old 02-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by millball
6308 bearings' fit virtually all 4Runners and trucks back to at least the early 1980s'
Oooh, more good info.
For what it's worth later 3rd gen bearings are different, for sure '01+
90363-40068
Old 02-20-2018, 07:41 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
As a general point of interest, The SKF bearing master catalog and the SKF master seal catalog Pdfs' (Google 'em!) convert virtually all manufacturer part numbers (including Toyota part numbers) into SKF bearing and seal numbers which, in turn, can easily be cross-referenced into just about any other bearing/seal manufacturers numbers.
Many of the Toyota bearings I have sourced by SKF numbers have turned out to be Japanese bearings, Koyo, Nachi, and the like.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by millball
As a general point of interest, The SKF bearing master catalog and the SKF master seal catalog Pdfs' (Google 'em!) convert virtually all manufacturer part numbers (including Toyota part numbers) into SKF bearing and seal numbers which, in turn, can easily be cross-referenced into just about any other bearing/seal manufacturers numbers.
Many of the Toyota bearings I have sourced by SKF numbers have turned out to be Japanese bearings, Koyo, Nachi, and the like.
More good info!
Big huge PDF:
http://www.skf.com/binary/79-66347/457013.pdf
Years ago we all worked with multiple paper cross reference and spec books, calipers and magnifying glasses to ID and cross bearings and seals and lots of other things. Sometimes I really miss them even though a lot of it's available online.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:53 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
More good info!
Big huge PDF:
http://www.skf.com/binary/79-66347/457013.pdf
Years ago we all worked with multiple paper cross reference and spec books, calipers and magnifying glasses to ID and cross bearings and seals and lots of other things. Sometimes I really miss them even though a lot of it's available online.
Excellent!

Saved for future reference.

Thanks for posting the PDF.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Where was all this info when I did my bearings?

I won't get the triple tandem, the kids have to pedal themselves. My 5 year old can ride his own bike, but for morning traffic I stick him on the trailer. My three year old does fairly well on a balance bike. However we do have #3 on the way, so who knows. I'm excited when I can take them with me on real trails. Seems like the three of you have a good time.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by old87yota
Excellent!

Saved for future reference.

Thanks for posting the PDF.

You're welcome, thanks to millball for inspiring me to look it up.

Originally Posted by JBurt
Where was all this info when I did my bearings?

I won't get the triple tandem, the kids have to pedal themselves. My 5 year old can ride his own bike, but for morning traffic I stick him on the trailer. My three year old does fairly well on a balance bike. However we do have #3 on the way, so who knows. I'm excited when I can take them with me on real trails. Seems like the three of you have a good time.
That thing is modular- you can add room for more! We won't talk about how it costs (!) as much as my truck did 13 years ago.
It seems like forever we're waiting for them to be big enough to enjoy our fun and like yesterday all at the same time, doesn't it?
Awesome and Congratulations on #3!!! It seems like yesterday you were expecting that first one.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 297,664 miles

Waiting for the axle. In the meantime I replaced the hood support doo-dad that broke this past week. Easy, didn't worry about breaking the clip to get it out since it's not re-usable.
Name:  A2qwswW.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  40.9 KB

If you ever do need to get it out it's a staggered clip
Name:  Xe6VVmN.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  27.8 KB
that you can get to from the front of the support. Very obvious. Push in to install, also obvious.

Also picked up a fuel tank strap for the '99 since the one it has rusted through and broke. This is available aftermarket from suppliers like Dorman but doesn't come with the insulator. Toyota's does:
Name:  fHyfQaa.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  17.1 KB

And got some of grille clips: they occasionally break:
Name:  kXiq3Id.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  42.0 KB

Also spent a bit of time deciding how I want to mount the winch in the bumper. It will likely require some cutting on the bumper, but I think I can avoid cutting the grille which is good because that would force me to abandon my Junkdrawerashi grille and put in one with center support. So far I think the solenoid pack will be over the right front fender. I'll have to move the cruise control and likely re-purpose the bracket.

Last edited by habanero; 02-24-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread