YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200/)
-   -   Gizler00's 1999 4Runner Build Thread (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200/gizler00s-1999-4runner-build-thread-299415/)

Gizler00 03-19-2017 07:57 AM

Gizler00's 1999 4Runner Build Thread

9 Attachment(s)
Well I finally picked one of these up, and kind of silly how it happened.

Quickly After selling my 85 4Runner, I realized that I missed having the capability to load up the family and go on an adventure. I tried to justify keeping my 91 reg cab pickup, but the fact that I was never able to drive it or fit my family in it pretty much sealed the deal.

So....I had been trying to sell my Regular Cab 91 for some time, and had no luck. All the while, I kept finding quite a few 3rd gens for great prices that I kept missing out on. I really was pretty dead set on picking up one that was equipped with the Factory E-locker, and some basic amenities.

Weeks went by and there was the typical low ball offers on my 91 and then people not coming through with showing up to look at it. However......Yesterday everything changed. Friday night, I got a call from a guy down in Kansas City, KS that wanted to look at it. I agreed to meed him half way in Mound City, MO for him to check it out. Well needless to say.. he was happy, and I was happy driving back with Cash in my Pocket. Now I had not checked Craigslist, or really looked for another 4Runner for about a week. I just simply decided to wait until I was able to make an actual decision.

Well.....after I got back, I just decided to look and see if there were any new ads up in the last few days. Much to my surprise, there was a 99 Limited 4Runner that went up Friday. I immediately called the guy and asked if it had the E-locker. He was not sure what I was referring to, but I walked him through were to find the button and he confirmed that is was in fact equipped with it. So after chatting for a few minutes he informed me that it had 167,000 miles on it and recently had a timing kit, and intake gaskets also. So... needless to say, I asked the wife if I could leave again to check it out. Of course she already knows I have been a Toyota addict for longer than we have been together, so she was understanding. Haha!

I met up with the guy and everything was confirmed. Not only did he have receipts for the recent work, he also had receipts for work done dating back when he first purchased it, and also had all the factory owners manuals, and everything.

I was very happy and surprised by how clean it was inside and out. There are some blemishes and dents in the body here and there. Looks like the rear passenger door was repainted at one time, but the frame is solid, there is no rot on the body, it runs and shifts smooth, and did I mention....It has the E-LOCKER!!!! so Happy I found one of these. Now the family and I can go on little expeditions and explore the back country again!

Here is the first time I saw it.

Attachment 110491

Confirmed the Locker

Attachment 110492

Some Interior shots

Attachment 110493
Attachment 110494
Attachment 110495
Attachment 110496
Attachment 110497

First night in its new home.

Attachment 110498

And THIS is why I got it!!

Attachment 110499

Here is a quick list of some Modifications I want to do first.

OME 2.5-3" lift

Bigger Tires, Maybe 285's or see if my 15x8 steels will fit

Remove the Running Boards and possibly Make some Sliders

Make some Front and rear bumpers. Rear tire carrier bumper for sure.

But the First order of Business is take it to work tomorrow, Throw it up on the hoist and go over everything.

So Excited about this.

crashburnoveride 03-19-2017 08:36 AM

Yassssss!!!! :safari: sub'd

Charchee 03-19-2017 08:47 AM

Love it!
I doubt your 15" wheels will fit. I couldn't get one on my 2000 model. Was using one as a spare and found out the hard way.
For the lift, get the 3". I put a 2.5 on my 01 several years back and it nosed down in the front. The 3" will set level and if you are thinking about 285/75R16s, you are going to need all the clearance you can get.

Gizler00 03-20-2017 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by crashburnoveride (Post 52357246)
Yassssss!!!! :safari: sub'd

Im excited!!

Originally Posted by Charchee (Post 52357251)
Love it!
I doubt your 15" wheels will fit. I couldn't get one on my 2000 model. Was using one as a spare and found out the hard way.
For the lift, get the 3". I put a 2.5 on my 01 several years back and it nosed down in the front. The 3" will set level and if you are thinking about 285/75R16s, you are going to need all the clearance you can get.

Good info! I wasnt sure if they would or not. I could always sell them for a set of 16's

I am definitely thinking something along the lines of 285/75's for it.

Gizler00 03-20-2017 04:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got it up in the air this morning to confirm that the frame was as solid as it looked on while on the ground.

I still cant believe how clean it really is. Definitely needs some stuff here and there, but I think its a great base to start with.

Attachment 110488
Attachment 110489
Attachment 110490

kelvinb 03-20-2017 07:51 PM

heel yea

coryc85 03-21-2017 02:37 AM

Nice Gizler, I like the 3rd gens. That sig box is getting full listing all your past Toyotas!

Gizler00 03-21-2017 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by kelvinb (Post 52357518)
heel yea

:rockin::rockin:

Originally Posted by coryc85 (Post 52357538)
Nice Gizler, I like the 3rd gens. That sig box is getting full listing all your past Toyotas!

Thanks man. I know!!! Comes with the addiction I guess!! Haha

Gizler00 03-21-2017 04:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Just did a quick once over it yesterday while up on the hoist.

Changed the oil, and looked over the brakes. They are not too bad. The ball joints are original (still riveted in) and will be getting changed in the near future. Shocks and struts are also original and beat pretty bad, so I am saving for some OME coils and strus/shocks. THen most likely going to go with 285's of some sort.

I really want to set this thing up to daily drive, and to weekend wheel/explore.

First order of business after the oil change was to remove the rust forming running boards!

Attachment 110484
Attachment 110485
Attachment 110486

I think it looks way better without them.

Gizler00 03-21-2017 04:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gave it a bath after the kids and I got home.

Attachment 110483

Boy is it nice to be able to pick the kids up from school in this. We even went for a little ride last night. I think they like it as much as I do!!

crashburnoveride 03-21-2017 05:30 AM

Jelly. Love it. :eeek:

jakey poo 03-21-2017 10:19 AM

Congrats!!! This 4runner is in great hands

rustED 03-21-2017 11:37 PM

Nice score buddy! Thats a clean looking ride...looks like everything worked out good for you, look forward to your progress!

Gizler00 03-22-2017 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by crashburnoveride (Post 52357550)
Jelly. Love it. :eeek:

Thanks pat!

Originally Posted by jakey poo (Post 52357583)
Congrats!!! This 4runner is in great hands

Thanks Man. I have lots to do!!

Originally Posted by rustED (Post 52357680)
Nice score buddy! Thats a clean looking ride...looks like everything worked out good for you, look forward to your progress!

Thanks Buddy!! Hope all is well with you and the family.

Gizler00 03-22-2017 09:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So.....I decided to do some investigating. I knew there was one spot of concern for rust. Right in front of the passenger rear tire.

I started to Remove the rocker trim

Attachment 110480

And I discovered some scale. At first glance, it was just bubbled paint, then I started to poke around with a Screwdriver to open it up.

Attachment 110481
Attachment 110482

Glad I found it now while its still small.

Lesson here fellow Yotatech members. If your 4runner has the plastic flares, and rocker trim, it could possibly have some rust under there.

When I pulled the rocker trim down, it was full of dirt and a ton of crap.

If I could easily remove all the flares and trim without having to fill a ton of holes, I would. They are just safe havens for rust to start.

Anyhow....... I am planning on tearing into it on Thursday. Cutting out the bad, making a new panel, and welding it in. I an going to use some Fusor 2-part seam sealer on the seam near the tire, and most likely use some duraglass on the patch after its made. then ultimately paint and reinstall the rocker cover.

Just a heads up guys and gals.

crashburnoveride 03-24-2017 08:16 AM

Ugh.. my armada has rust in that same spot. I'm not sure when I'll repair it. It's a little worse than yours tho. :facepalm:

Gizler00 03-24-2017 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by crashburnoveride (Post 52357988)
Ugh.. my armada has rust in that same spot. I'm not sure when I'll repair it. It's a little worse than yours tho. :facepalm:

It sucks man. But I Finished it up today. I did not want to do it, but just went to town and got it done.

Gizler00 03-24-2017 09:49 AM

11 Attachment(s)
So I tore into the rocker and was able to get it taken care of in two days.

Yesterday morning I went to my local U-Pull it and cut off the section that I needed. 5$ Pretty good deal.

Attachment 110453

Then I came back and went to work cutting everything out.

Once I cut the outer out, it exposed the rot on the inner. So I cut that out also.

Attachment 110454
Attachment 110455
Attachment 110456

Then I started making my patch panels to plug weld and stitch weld in.

Attachment 110457
Attachment 110458
Attachment 110459

Got it all welded in and ground down.

Attachment 110460

Then I put some Duraglass on it and smoothed everything out.

Attachment 110461

Finally was some seam sealer and then Primer and Paint. I decided to use a puff can I had left over from my 4Runner. It has base and clear in it, which is perfect for stuff like this. Color doesnt match, but the door covers it up. I will cover it with the right color eventually.

Attachment 110462
Attachment 110463

When I was all done, I thought that it looked weird with a drop/dip down in the rear. I figured it was a result of the patch not sitting perfect. But I went over and looked at the other side and its the same way. I never noticed that it is shaped that way. The rocker cladding covered that.

So, I have decided to get some new clips from Napa, and i will be reinstalling the rocker cover in a few days.

Charchee 03-24-2017 04:36 PM

You've got to be kidding! I have exactly the same rust on mine and I was about half a mind to just get rid of it over that. I can't stand rust. I had the same idea you had about fixing it and even had a donor truck in my driveway for a time but had second thoughts that it would work. Yours is beautiful! I'm saving this thread to my favorites and am going to find me some cut out patches. Great work!

Gizler00 03-24-2017 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Charchee (Post 52358052)
You've got to be kidding! I have exactly the same rust on mine and I was about half a mind to just get rid of it over that. I can't stand rust. I had the same idea you had about fixing it and even had a donor truck in my driveway for a time but had second thoughts that it would work. Yours is beautiful! I'm saving this thread to my favorites and am going to find me some cut out patches. Great work!

Thanks man! Definitely don't get rid of it because of that kind of rust. It's totally fixable. What side is yours on? I think the 4Runner I cut this path off of had a good drivers side as well.

I would be willing to look around and cut something off to send to you, if you are having trouble finding one.

Let me know if you have any questions. I would be glad to help.