Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

BigFishAllDay's 2001 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigFishAllDay's 2001 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Then...

Now...

Last edited by BigFishAllDay; 05-24-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:30 PM

Nice catch Fish!(pun intended). Aside from some minor details, our trucks are twins. I'm really diggin your custom mods: Andymod sticker and dual pod pillar . I wish I had an AFR gauge.
Your future upgrades will be excellent additions to an already beautiful truck. Looking forward to seeing those sliders on. Thanks for the formal intro!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM

that is a nice lookin rig im lookin forward to the pics with the new bumper and sliders
Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 AM

This part of the build has been deleted to save photo hosting bandwidth.

Last edited by BigFishAllDay; 07-05-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM

Those mounted up real nice. With those duratracs sticking out a little farther, they should help with rocks, sand, etc. tearing up your paint. In fact, Paddlenbike integrated inserts into his stubbs and it seemed to work pretty well for him. I've tought about doing it myself whenever I install sliders.

Looooking great though, keep up the good work.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM

ahh if i ever run across a s/c 4runner im grabbing it. this has turned out awesome man
congrats on a sweet rig
Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Its very cleanly done. Well done good sir, well done.

Question, was that oil compatible with the sc? Was it over the counter at a gm dealer or did you have to order it? I need to service mine.

Last edited by vital22re; 02-22-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by vital22re
Its very cleanly done. Well done good sir, well done.

Question, was that oil compatible with the sc? Was it over the counter at a gm dealer or did you have to order it? I need to service mine.
toyo'n'around, I appreciate the compliments, and thanks vital22re!

I did alot of searching on the subject both here on YT and on the web in general. All the discussions I read through led to the same conclusion: that the GM supercharger oil is the equivalent of TRD's s/c oil. There were also several individuals that had contacted magnuson and were instructed to use the GM oil. Based on that research, I went ahead and used the GM oil myself. I've had no problems with it so far.

I bought 3 bottles over the counter at a local Pontiac dealer. I can't remember the exact price, but it was around $30 for 3. It took one bottle to refill the s/c after I'd removed as much of the old oil as I could. (Btw, the title in my signature is a link to a more detailed build thread over on t4r.org... I did a brief write-up on the s/c oil change in that thread, I think it's on page 4)

PS.. Okie, I like that idea, but I also like the look of the sliders being open. I've been considering adding some front mud flaps the same way Speedy did here >>> http://www.speedysgarage.net/sportrunner/index.htm

Last edited by BigFishAllDay; 02-23-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:29 PM

ARB, IPF968's, XRC8, Endcap Mod, Gamiviti lenses...

Last edited by BigFishAllDay; 07-05-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 PM

That bumper looks sick fish, especially that front pic with the tires and skidplate How was the install?
Just a slight bit to rake judging from that last picture. Between your bumper and those sliders though, that's a lot of added weight. If your struts have had some time to settle out already, I can't imagine them drooping much farther.
Still, a small price to pay for a bad@ss rig!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
youve done a nice job on that runner man .. looks real good ..clean.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Last edited by BigFishAllDay; 07-05-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:46 PM

It's been a while since I updated this thing, and alot has been done since the last post. Since this is kind of a summary build thread for this thing, I'll keep it brief....

Blacked out the emblems...

Trimmed the pinch welds and fender liners...

Added Poly Sway Bar Bushings from Wheeler's

Grip Tape on the sliders...

Installed a Group 34 Sears Die Hard Platinum and did the "Big 3" upgrade...]

Finally got the winch all wired up and set it up for In-Cab control...

Last edited by BigFishAllDay; 05-23-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 PM

Last edited by BigFishAllDay; 07-05-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:57 PM

Last edited by BigFishAllDay; 07-05-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
clean machine, man.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice rig man! Very clean work. If you're doing a lot of wheeling in that soft New Mexico sand you might want to get a locker. I have gotten stuck a couple times in hidden sand pits but fortunately I have been with other guys who pulled me out.

Last edited by 4ever4running; 07-21-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by BigFishAllDay

With the supercharger on the engine, I wanted to have a way to keep an eye on the transmission temps, so I put an Autometer Transmission Temperature Gauge in the center console near the shifters… Credit goes to a member on here (Mastacox) for giving me the idea to put it there.

Hey, I also have a Lotek A-pillar gauge pod and I love it. The only downside is that it only has 2 gauge pods...I had an oil pressure gauge and a voltometer in the two pods, but a couple of weeks ago I installed an external transmission cooler and a transmission temperature gauge. So, I removed the voltometer and now it is collecting dust. I really like the mounting location for your transmission temperature gauge and I would like to mount my voltometer in the same location so I can actually use it. I just have a couple of questions...Does the gauge interfere with anything under the plastic bezel? Did you just use a hole saw to cut the hole? If so, do you remember what size you used?

Last edited by 4ever4running; 07-21-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:19 AM

MaK92-4RnR,

Thanks man.

4ever4running,

I don't spend alot of time in sand, but regardless a locker is on my list. I still have alot of parts piled up in the garage that I need to get to first, but eventually I'm looking at a regear... traction devices will go in at that time.

Hey, I also have a Lotek A-pillar gauge pod and I love it. The only downside is that it only has 2 gauge pods...I just have a couple of questions...Does the gauge interfere with anything under the plastic bezel? Did you just use a hole saw to cut the hole? If so, do you remember what size you used?
I like the look of 2 pods better than 3, so I'm happy w/it. Re the trans temp in the shifter bezel... Yes, it did interfere with a some plugs/wiring and a plastic bracket underneath the bezel. I removed the bracket and re-routed the plugs/wiring in order to make it fit. And yes, I used a hole saw. The guages are 2 1/16" in diameter, so I used a 2" hole saw, then widened it out little by little with a dremel until the guage dropped in.

Re your voltmeter, have you considered a scangauge? They have a voltmeter built in, plus you get all the other functions.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by BigFishAllDay
MaK92-4RnR,

Thanks man.

4ever4running,

I don't spend alot of time in sand, but regardless a locker is on my list. I still have alot of parts piled up in the garage that I need to get to first, but eventually I'm looking at a regear... traction devices will go in at that time.

I like the look of 2 pods better than 3, so I'm happy w/it. Re the trans temp in the shifter bezel... Yes, it did interfere with a some plugs/wiring and a plastic bracket underneath the bezel. I removed the bracket and re-routed the plugs/wiring in order to make it fit. And yes, I used a hole saw. The guages are 2 1/16" in diameter, so I used a 2" hole saw, then widened it out little by little with a dremel until the guage dropped in.

Re your voltmeter, have you considered a scangauge? They have a voltmeter built in, plus you get all the other functions.
Yeah I hear ya. I just finished regearing my truck earlier this week and I ended up locking the rear while I was at it. I don't know if you have any parts to regear yet but I ended up buying the complete assembled 3rds from here: http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/. They do all the hard and tedious work to swap the ring and pinion, install the locker, etc. then all I had to do was a simple drop and replace. I was able to to the rear myself in about 4-5 hours, but I don't have a lift so I took it to a shop to have the front done. Just an option to consider...

Okay so it sounds like it will require moving some wires and a plastic bracket around a little, but that should be no trouble at all.

So 2" hole saw + dremel = perfectly sized hole. Thanks!

I have though about getting a scangauge, and I would like to get one eventually...There is just a list of other things that I want/need to get done first. So basically it is on my to-do list, just more towards the bottom

Last edited by 4ever4running; 07-21-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BigFishAllDay's 2001 4Runner Build-Up Thread