Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

You guys build my lift for me!..seriously--

Old 06-22-2003, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys build my lift for me!..seriously--

Aight fella's (and ladies) I am almost positive I am going to convert myself from the Grand Cherokee to a 3rd Gen. Runner..

I have read ALOT of articles thanks to ya'lls site and have come up with so many different lift options that I loose sleep at night.

First, I would like to go as high as possible with ONLY a suspension lift. Therefore I am thinking about the OME HD springs and regular duty shocks, being as the springs support the weight and the shocks determine the ride (mostly). I do not mind FIRMNESS, but do not want a HARSH ride. I hight doubt my understanding of HARSHNESS and ya'lls is going to be the same ( had 36"s on my ZJ with short arms.)

I have a set of 285s lined up to get as well, but I do not see a problem running these tires with that lift.

Second, I AM going to run an ARB Bull Bar up front and later on a rear bumper once I find out who and where to get on build up from, most likey will be a prot. job from Carolina Rock Shop, but we will see. I am not opposed to throwing in a rear spacer to compensate for the sagging.

Third, if I do use front diff. drop spacers, will this help my CV angles with the amount of lift expected up front?
I want as much lift, safely up front as possible, I DO NOT want any sort of sagging. Yet, can not fund the SAW's at this point. However, they are on the list.

Thanks alot fella's, go ahead, design me a decent lift, that rides good, and performs well in all areas, but keep out the SAW's..THANKS!!
Bennett
Old 06-22-2003, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

CONVERT!

I love to see another Jeep convert!
Sounds like you've got it all worked out.
Hope this forum helped you make the call...It did for me.
I'm two months into 4runnin and just got back from my first fieldtrip with it. Really made my XJ look

Don't know if the folks here are really gonna build your spec, but they sure will tell you what's gonna work for you.

Got no advice re: suspension, but it's next on my list, so I'm watching this thread. Anyone thinking of selling their Downey's - PM me! My first mod was just to put the Aisin's on mine, but I got Mod fever!

Good luck and tight lines.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:04 PM

Honestly I would say just keep waiting and get the Saw's. There was a thread here for a new coilover that just came out. It was pretty steap price-wise, but maybe that combined with the King coilovers, will drive the price of SAWs down.

Also, I talked to a rep at ARB about a month ago, and he said they are working on an actual lift kit specifically for the 3rd Gen 4Runners. The OME lift you would get now is actually made for the Prado.

I allready got my coils, and shocks, and if I had the chance to do it again, I would go with the saw's. who knows, maybe after I get the rest of my toys, I will relift it. or maybe I'll just SAS it! haha yeah right!:pig:
Old 06-22-2003, 07:16 PM

Welp, I would just wait for the SAW's, but I cant, I have to have the RUNNER lift, I HAVE TO.. I really dont mind if the ride is a little stiffer, as well as the 4Runners ride, I think I can live with it for a while.

So being that the OME lift is made for the Prado, are there any sort of adjustments, or other mods. that I should know about?? The reason I am considering buying this lift is because I already have EVERYTHING for the ZJ, BRAND NEW, and can just return it for 4Runner parts.

Thanks,
Bennett
Old 06-22-2003, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

You're on the right track with everything.

For the rear, no modifications are necessary with the setup you proposed. The OME HD springs will give you the most lift of what's out there. I run the regular shocks with them and that setup is great. No complaints. I have 3.5" in the back, but your results may vary.

For the front, you would need to use a spacer should you go with the OME setup. That's the only modification you'd need to do there. Many others have done this.

As for the diff drop, yes, that will help your CV angles. Once I install mine (waiting on skid plate), I plan to go up to 3" to level my Runner out a bit more. I'm at 2.5" in the front now. 3" is the most I've seen anyone run. It would help matters to get the manual hub kit for that height, but at $1,000, there's far better things to go after first.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with Darren, the Rear OME's are great! I have about 3" in the rear. I am at just over 2" in the front with daystar spacers only, I chose that for budget reasons right now but they are working out great.