YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Yet another Gas mileage question (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/yet-another-gas-mileage-question-18575/)

PirateFins 10-03-2003 05:28 AM

Yet another Gas mileage question

Ok someone try and figure this out, because I am stummped. After all of the improvements I have done. Full tune up, new header, sudo-deck plate mod, new thermostat, cleaned throttle body & adjusted TPS, etc...

I am getting better gas milage in stop and go traffic (city driving on the hi-way), than I am getting when cruising at hi-way speed (AVG 70 mph).

I thought stop and go is supposed to have a negative effect on milage not the opposite? Any thoughts.

Corey 10-03-2003 05:49 AM

It is weird, but check this out.

I always get better gas mileage after a 4WD romp in the woods.

I normally get about 12.5 to 13 MPG in my rig with city/highway driving.
Take into consideration though I'm not geared for the 31" tires, so my mileage is actually a bit better than it comes out on calculator.
And I do check my mileage every fill up.

I filled up yesterday and I got 14.25, the highest I have gotten in months, and it was from going wheelin'.

That is with lots of slow driving up steep hills too.

I can only attest this phenomenon to the fact that the rig is happy getting it's shoes dirty in the woods, and everyone knows a happy rig is a good running rig ;)

PirateFins 10-03-2003 06:22 AM

yeah Corey, I also am not geared for the 31's on my truck. But is noticeable on the gas guage. If I have a bad traffic week, 24 mi. stop and go traffic, I can go 4 days on a tank. If I have a good week with little to no traffic, I can only go 3 days on a tank.

Stop and go is a pain but I'll take it if it is better on milage. Just wish I could get better hi-way driving milage.

idahorunner 10-03-2003 07:44 AM

Pirate,
What tranny do you have auto or stick? Dont know if this is a factor with only 31" tires, but I have heard of people with large tires and auto trannys not geting up to high enough rpms to kick the tranny into final over drive. Just a thought...

PirateFins 10-03-2003 11:01 AM

5 spd w56

X-AWDriver 10-04-2003 05:31 AM

Pretty much still stock and I'm getting about 19.1 around town and almost 20 on my Aspen trip which surprised me with climbing the long passes required alot of 4th-5th gear shifting just to maintain 65mph speed.

KING 10-04-2003 04:20 PM

94 PICK-UP, 3VZE, V6, AT -- I got 17MPG the other day (about 100 miles for one quarter tank). In city drive.

I think a lot of is my driving habits. Normally, I am very slow on take-off and whenever I am approaching a red light, I let it cruise there, sometimes as far as 100 yards away.

I am also a very slow driver. That's why people hate me on the road. If the limit is 40; I'll be doing 40, while the majority of the others are doing 45 with a few crack heads doing 50+.

This helps alot, I think.