YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   wiring harness need help ASAP (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/wiring-harness-need-help-asap-25250/)

Debra 01-24-2004 09:42 PM

wiring harness need help ASAP

wiring harness ????
my runner is an 89 22re automatic and I just wrote my new 88 runner off and it was a 22re 5 speed. now in the 89runner the wiring harness is set up for a automatic and my 88 harness is for a 5speed can I use the 89 and just leave the automatic tranny plugs undone or do I need to rip out my 88 wiring harness from under the dash and put it in the 89?? also the 89 brain says on it 22r-e and the 88 says 22r which one should I use??

And incase im confussing you im changing my truck from an automatic to a 5speed
:help:

arjan 01-24-2004 10:03 PM

You'll probaly have to short out one of the connectors since auto. trannies have a switch for the park position. By shorting this plug the starting circuit will "think" the vehicle is in park and allow you to start the car. You can also use this switch on your clutch pedal as a lockout. I don't know about the rest of the wires.

Arjan

Blair 01-24-2004 10:20 PM

Welcome

No hard answers to your questions, but....Welcome to the board, Debra.
If you can't find the answers here, someone over on Pirate is sure to know, just be careful in how you post there, as their a little more hard core.

Regardless, if you're female ( I asume) you're sure to have about 500 replies by noon tomorrow...do a search for sisterchristian...

And hey, it sure is nice to see another couple of Canadians on the board!

arjan 01-24-2004 10:31 PM

I'm actually born & raised in The Netherlands, but moved over here in '91. I didn't even notice that debra is only about 40 mins from here. Didn't look at the location at first.

MTL_4runner 01-25-2004 05:46 AM

Re: wiring harness need help ASAP

Originally posted by Debra
wiring harness ????
my runner is an 89 22re automatic and I just wrote my new 88 runner off and it was a 22re 5 speed. now in the 89runner the wiring harness is set up for a automatic and my 88 harness is for a 5speed can I use the 89 and just leave the automatic tranny plugs undone or do I need to rip out my 88 wiring harness from under the dash and put it in the 89?? also the 89 brain says on it 22r-e and the 88 says 22r which one should I use??

And incase im confussing you im changing my truck from an automatic to a 5speed
:help:

Hey Debra,
You should be using the ECM harness that is correct for your engine. So if I understand correctly, then continue to use the same wiring harness that is in the truck now and just leave the auto tranny connectors tied up somewhere. I am not sure if that will trigger a check engine light, but I doubt it. Best way to verify this is to look in the back of a haynes manual and look for the wiring diagram for your truck with both and auto and a 5spd. If there is no difference, then you are set. If there are differences, note them and modify the current harness accordingly. Don't tear out the 88 harness, totally not worth the time and effort.

Debra 01-25-2004 09:20 AM

ok thanks for the replies guys if any of you have ever done this I would love some more input.
Thanks Debra

Debra 01-25-2004 03:47 PM

so does anyone have any more info on this???:help:

zedex 01-25-2004 03:57 PM

If your just changing the tranny over you would probably just jump the wires that went to the auto tranny park switch.

MTL_4runner 01-25-2004 04:00 PM

Originally posted by zedex
If your just changing the tranny over you would probably just jump the wires that went to the auto tranny park switch.
That is true, you need to jump the neutral start safety switch to allow the ignition to start.

Fink 01-25-2004 04:05 PM

I don't know if this applies on your rig but the idiot that owned my Runner before me cut about 5 other wires in addition to the neutral safety switch...in turn, he caused my rig to just not start when its cold out because he had cut the cold start injector wire...people and their wire cutters! :pat:

Fink:devil:

Debra 01-31-2004 08:15 AM

well everything is done and the truck runs great, im so happy to have my baby back:bounce: