YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Wiring backup lights for 2nd gen (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/wiring-backup-lights-2nd-gen-19020/)

Robinhood150 10-10-2003 08:09 AM

Wiring backup lights for 2nd gen

Here's some info for anybody who wants to wire up some auxilliary backup lights that automatically come on when shifting into reverse (for the 2nd gen 4runners only).

I had a heck of a time trying to find the reverse light wiring. There is a bundle of wires that run on both the driver side and passenger side near the doors and after poking way too many holes in them, I gave up and started poking holes in the wiring that exits the bottom of the tailgate. I finally found the wire that is live when in reverse.

It's the small red wire with a white stripe and blue tick marks.

I could not find this same wire in the cabin so I just spliced into it near the tailgate and ran it to a relay, via a 3 way switch.

If anybody is going to do this, verify that this is the same color scheme. Becareful, though, there are other wires that are live when the ignition is on and the tranny is not in reverse. Make sure you verify this when you are in reverse (with the engine off and parking brake set, for safety reasons).

So, now I have it wired so I can have them on, off, or automatically come on with reverse. I even got fancy and wired in a LED light that comes on when the lights are on.

Scofco 08-03-2004 07:18 PM

Bump for anyone that cares.
Thanks for the help Steve, my search yielded just what I was looking for.

green91runner 05-01-2005 07:42 PM

i know, really old thread.. but, im curious when you spliced into the wiring entering the tailgate, how did you route your wire.. guessing you went up through the floor and then up the sides and through the roof (since they're on your roof rack) just worried about the wire moving around too much and shorting out. thx

Robinhood150 05-02-2005 10:21 AM

No, I have no idea what that wire does so hooking it directly to the 110w (total) lights isn't a good idea, especially considering how thin the wire is. The wire that is tapped into the green wire is routed into the cargo area through a grommet and up to the front where the relay is.

But the main power wires are routed from the cab, through the door seal on the drivers side, up the rain gutter to the rear doors and to the roof rack.

green91runner 05-02-2005 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
But the main power wires are routed from the cab, through the door seal on the drivers side, up the rain gutter to the rear doors and to the roof rack.

so, the wire is pretty visible then?

and yea.. only going to use that wire tap for the relay's 'switch', thx

Robinhood150 05-02-2005 10:48 AM

There's only about a 2" section that is visible, everything else is hidden by the rain gutter or the roof rack. Plus, the wire is white and my truck is white, so it's not too bad.

green91runner 05-02-2005 08:08 PM

:great:

small hijack (just dont want to start another thread about it) for a power wire, i was planning on running a 14gauge. so, 110watts (2 lights) running on the 14gauge, shouldn't have any issues? right? or should i go 12 gauge?

Flamedx4 05-03-2005 09:40 AM

I would go to 12 gauge. 14g will do it with a 15 amp fuse, but if you are running front to back, bigger wire will help.