YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Wind Noise (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/wind-noise-7983/)

BigGunna 03-20-2003 01:11 PM

Wind Noise

I'm trying to figure out if its possible to reduce the wind noise on a '91 4R. Its sounds like its coming from the windshield area, but I'm not certain. Last night I removed my wipers and taped the top of the windshield to make it more "aerodynamic" but it didn't impact the wind noise at all. The wind sounds like a whistling tea kettle, and it begins around 40 mph and gets louder as the truck goes faster. I don't have a moon roof but do have a factory roof rack. Would a bug deflector be the answer?

Bob_98SR5 03-20-2003 01:39 PM

Big:

Its the roof rack. If its high pitched and it gets louder as you increase speed, its the roof rack. A wind deflector will cure it. What kind of roof rack do you have?

Bob

BTOWN4RUNNER 03-20-2003 01:43 PM

I am sure that a bug deflector will help as well. Just like it will do with bugs, it will do with the wind. It will redirect it over the vehicle. Try those two and it should help. :fireman:

enthalpy 03-20-2003 02:08 PM

it's gotta be the rack

Big,

I back Bob's post - my yakima rack is mounted on the factory rails - and made the worst whistling noise. Got the fairing and it was much quieter.

My next question would be if you are using the factory bars or not. The factory bars are pretty aerodynamic, and I never had any noise problems. It was only after putting on the Yakima that the wind noise became apparent. Also, my Yakima setup uses round bars, but I have had friends with Thule racks (and square bars) have the same problem.

I would say try ebay to find a used one.

Good luck!

Robinhood150 03-20-2003 03:49 PM

When our runner was new the windshield seal had a defect which created a whistling noise. Try taping the whole perimeter and see if that helps. If it does then that means it's your seal.

My factory roof rack doesn't whistle.

Steve

BigGunna 03-20-2003 05:27 PM

I believe that my roof rack is factory, but I'm not positive - I've attached a pic. The roof rack only covers the rear quarter of the truck, not the front. Do you guys still think it causes the wind noise? Reason I ask is that the wind noise sounds like its coming from the front of the truck.

Robinhood: I'll tape down all the edges of the windshield this weekend to confirm it's not that.

http://members.cox.net/biggunna/imag...roofrack01.jpg

BigGunna 03-25-2003 06:33 AM

I taped all the edges of my windshield and today and still got that high pitched wind noise. So the next step would be to invest in a bug deflector to see if it will cure the wind noise. I've done some searches already and have drawn the conclusion that Lund makes a good quality deflector. Looking at the product specs, it seems that it uses tape to secure itself on a '91 4R, so no drilling required. However, does this mean that the deflector can't be easily detached/attached when I wash the truck? Is there another option?

mtnfreak 03-25-2003 01:40 PM

Do the crossmembers on that rack come off? If so, pull them off and see if the noise goes away. Also, check your side mirrors. Most of them are noisy to start with and get worse if they are damaged (and they are so easily damaged).

gwhayduke 03-25-2003 05:11 PM

I found this effective on mine....

Pull the cross members off like MtnFreak suggested.

Then move the front bar all the way to the back, out of the windflow.

I also have a hood wind deflector on mine...it came with it, so I have no basis for comparison. But I don't really have any complaints on wind noise since I did the above adjustments.

Cebby 03-25-2003 05:29 PM

Check the seals around your doors.

How about your sunroof seal (if you have a sunroof)?

Do you get it with the radio off (antenna down)?

Put your vent to recirc to see if that helps.

Just a few thoughts

Cebby 03-25-2003 05:31 PM

Also try moving the front bar on your factory rack back about 2 inches. It looks like it's overhanging the "boot" on the rail mounted to the roof.

BigGunna 03-26-2003 05:57 AM

Removed all the roof rack cross bars today and still got that hitch pitched wind noise. I don't have a sun roof, and have tried everyone's recommendations so far. No biggie... I'll just live with it.

Bumpin' Yota 03-26-2003 06:12 AM

I have a '90 4Runner with that exact same luggage rack, never made a noise but then again I have an EGR bug deflector. The ONLY reason I moved the crossmembers (and the front one) to the back was so it would stop rattling with the bass.... Now just my damn valence squeaks on bass hits....grrr

Anyhow check all of your weatherstripping then invest in a bug deflector - 4Runner's look better with them anyhow...lol

Steve

Robinhood150 03-26-2003 07:58 AM

A trick to pinpointing a noise location is to stick a small tube in your ear (maybe 1/4" in dia or so) and move the other end of the tube around the area of the noise. It will sound louder as you get closer to the noise. I recommend you have a passenger do this so that you won't look dorky.