Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What's the hottest headlight for 3rd gen runners these days?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 05:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What's the hottest headlight for 3rd gen runners these days?

The last time i was in the market for headlights, sylvania silverstars were the rage.
By now....there has to be an LED option or similar?
Not looking for HID conversions or any expensive options.
thanks!!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went with LED, i think they are way brighter and better then the silverstars.
if you do decide to go LED get ones with a separate ballast, and not the wire mesh thats behind the bulb.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
I just found out that headlight circuit for Non-DRL model has not evolved from the earlier gens. Ground side wiring goes over a convoluted path from bulb, through firewall, to cabin, to dimmer-combo switch/stalk, back to engine compartment to body ground (near cowl). Google "convoluted path 4crawler".
If you have the U.S. (non-DRL) model, I strongly-recommend a conversion harness that will send power directly to bulbs, via relays, not over the convoluted path. This is essential; ask your electrical engineer friend.
Canada (DRL) model will also benefit although not as significant as U.S. model would.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-06-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just chiming in, and this relates to the 1st gen Tacomas, there are differences between the years and the DRL models on whether the trucks are ground switched or conventionally switched. There is a big thread on TW about the issue and which harness to buy to upgrade the headlight wiring. In my case, on an 03 Tacoma with DRL, I will have to disable DRL to upgrade the harness.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...or-hid.398066/

That’s one of the links. This is for upgrading the H4 bulbs
Old 03-08-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinTaco
...... ...there are differences between the years and the DRL models on whether the trucks are ground switched or conventionally switched....
Correct. See above for 4Runners.

Non-DRL model have switched-ground and bulb current pass through the dimmer-combo switch. DRL model have switched-positive and bulb current does not pass through dimmer-combo switch (better). However, both have lots of wiring (possibly thin), so both would benefit from a relay retrofit.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I have a headlight wiring kit like the one 4crawler sold years ago. It does not play well if you have factory foglights, I ran into issues where the fog lights stopped working until I returned to factory wiring. Message me if you're interested. $10+ Shipping

When I used one on my '94 it was impressive how much brighter stock headlights became