YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   What is your real world MPG on the 4th Gen 4Runner? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/what-your-real-world-mpg-4th-gen-4runner-40093/)

SEAN_at_TLT 09-02-2004 02:14 PM

The Subaru Forester XT is really nice for about 23K! It gets about 23mpg if I recall...

EDGE 09-02-2004 03:14 PM

www.nissanmurano.org & www.freshalloy.com

My mileage is about the same as Dutch Man but sometimes I've averaged 13-16 from just hard driving, pedal to the floor, guess it's the price I pay to hear the V8

spyne 09-02-2004 04:23 PM

I've got just over 18K on my 03 V8 and the lifetime average is 16.852 mpg. Best milage for a tankfull was 21.02 and the worst was 14.09. I live in the DC suburbs and average about 70% commuting, 28% highway and 2% off road miles.

EDGE 09-02-2004 05:05 PM

OH Yeah, all highway it gets 23-24mpg cruising at 75, anything higher suddenly it seems like their is a hole in the gas tank but still crusing at 90 and getting 19mpg is pretty good.

fromjeeptotoyota 09-02-2004 05:35 PM

how could you guys compare nissan with toyota?????? :bang: Toyota is much better. Before i got my 4runner i was also looking at a new altima, but the interior sucks it's made out of the cheapest materials on earth, inside and out. My friend took his finger and barelly pushed the hood and it almost dented it (the dealer's response. it's lighter matieral so you can save gas) yeah save gas when your in your grave?

fromjeeptotoyota 09-02-2004 05:37 PM

and you guys know nissan almost went out of business 10 Years ago :saw:

EDGE 09-02-2004 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by fromjeeptotoyota
how could you guys compare nissan with toyota?????? :bang: Toyota is much better. Before i got my 4runner i was also looking at a new altima, but the interior sucks it's made out of the cheapest materials on earth, inside and out. My friend took his finger and barelly pushed the hood and it almost dented it (the dealer's response. it's lighter matieral so you can save gas) yeah save gas when your in your grave?

noone here is bashing anything, just comparing gas mileage or is that not OK to do, the hoods on anycars can be pushed in with a finger they do that so they easliy bend in half and not come straight through the windsheild and cut your head off, as for being in your grave the car is lighter but the Altima has the same safety rating as the 5 series or es300 on offset and side impact, it might be of a cheaper build quality but what counts will keep you alive.

Nissan almost went out of business but if you read a Forbes or Business Week Magazine you would know they made 1 hell of a come back and are positioned right under Toyota and their still in the beginning stages of their comeback.

fromjeeptotoyota 09-03-2004 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by EDGE
noone here is bashing anything, just comparing gas mileage or is that not OK to do, the hoods on anycars can be pushed in with a finger they do that so they easliy bend in half and not come straight through the windsheild and cut your head off, as for being in your grave the car is lighter but the Altima has the same safety rating as the 5 series or es300 on offset and side impact, it might be of a cheaper build quality but what counts will keep you alive.

Nissan almost went out of business but if you read a Forbes or Business Week Magazine you would know they made 1 hell of a come back and are positioned right under Toyota and their still in the beginning stages of their comeback.

edge have you ever tried that with a bmw? do that finger trick with a bmw the hood will never move i guarentee it.you'll break your finger before you bend the hood. Now they all get a 5 star safety rating i dont really trust those ratings because there only based at about 35mph and the average test car only weighs 3000 lbs. A bigger suv at higher speeds would have different results,plus suv's are taller, if a 4runner hits an altima on the side where do you hit the altima? You hit the person in the head but if an altima hits a 4runner on the side you only get hit in your legs. So think before you believe everything :nono:

Parsh 09-03-2004 05:02 PM

umm back to mileage....

Stock V8 4WD i get 15-17 mixed driving

bft4.7 09-04-2004 04:09 PM

I have an '03 4runner w/ v8 and with my 20" rims I am doing about 17mpg city. I would say about 20 highway. With stock rims I was about 18 city / 21 highway. Though I do have a lead foot. My mom has the same thing but drives normal and is getting about 19-20 city/ 22-23 highway. Either way with a v8 I am impressed by the mileage it gets.

r0cky 09-04-2004 04:43 PM

by the way, i double checked today during some driving in the city and i am getting about 13 mpg. :(

Gadget 09-05-2004 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gringo
Gadget I am sure you already know this but the new 05 V8 is supposed to have numbers of 17/23--pretty incredible for a 270hp V8--this is what our V6's have(on paper)..... Also the Murano has some type of issue with the steering--I know consumers mentioned it but I think I read it elsewhere as well. Besides if you got a new V8 you could write it off---also the prototype for all your new fuel upgrades........

I have been trying to lean her toward a 4Runner for just that reason, but she has made it clear that I will not be tinkering with it.

There is a change in the 05 V8 and the current TRD supercharger will not fit it. It will require a redesign which it appears that TRD is not going to do.

There is also a chance that TRD will not ship anymore superchargers at all for the V8 so as far as a market for fuel upgrades, I doubt there will much of a one, but don't think for a minute that all of this was not in the back of my mind.

Gadget

Gadget 09-05-2004 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by fromjeeptotoyota

Well, I don't really think Toyota is better then Nissan. Remember I had that Maxima for 10 years and 280,000 miles. In that time it was only in the dealer once for a failed O2 sensor under warranty. Service was GREAT. From the time I pulled in with the light on, I was back on the road in less then an hour all fixed up. Then the only other things that failed in that 280,000 miles was both outer CV boots, a starter, and one knock sensor.

Now, my 96 4Runner was in and out of the shop about 12 times in the first year for a bent wheel they refused to say was bent. I had to go all the way through arbitration to get that very simple problems solved. I really don't think it was a vehicle problem, any vehicle can have an out of round wheel, it is a real and serious problem with Toyota. There is just something wrong with that corporate mind set that makes a customer have to go through arbitration to get a simple problem fixed.

I also had a Pathfinder before the 4Runner. Great vehicle, just no power. All and all I think Toyota and Nissan are pretty much the same as far as quality and reliability.

Now about cheap plastic interiors, I test drove a Highlander. That had that cheap plastic interior feel and antiquated ventilation controls. The amazing thing is it cost about the same as a 4Runner.

Gadget

Gadget 09-05-2004 08:20 AM

Well, "she" is having a hard time making up her mind. Here is the last thing that is keeping her out of a 4Runner. She wants electric driver's seat, but it has to be cloth, no leather and insists on side curtain airbags. It seems electric driver's seat is only available on a Limited with leather.

So, do any of you have a 2004 with an electric cloth seat and side curtain airbags? I sure hope this a possible combination.

Gadget

jharris2 09-05-2004 02:33 PM

V6, stock engine, 13K miles. I get 17-18 mpg around town, up to 22.4 mpg on the highway at 70 mph, all 2WD mode.

r0cky 09-05-2004 03:58 PM

i got an average of 17.5 mpg's today on a long highway drive. :bigok:

FirstToy 09-05-2004 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gadget
So, do any of you have a 2004 with an electric cloth seat and side curtain airbags? I sure hope this a possible combination.

Gadget

Unless the 05's changed that is not a possible combination. You can't get that combo in a Murano either, I don't think. Cloth in a Murano is going to be very, very hard to find.
In both cases, I think it might be done with a special order.

*on the mpg note, I think the computer is only 1-2mpg high from what I'm reading on these posts so my 2-4mpg was erroneous I guess.

FirstToy 09-05-2004 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gadget
All and all I think Toyota and Nissan are pretty much the same as far as quality and reliability.

Gadget

Not even Nissan thinks that.

Roadtripr 09-07-2004 09:51 AM

why doesn't she want leather seats?

Gadget 09-08-2004 05:59 PM

"why doesn't she want leather seats?"

She does not like the way they feel. Cold in the Winter, hot in the Summer. Then there is the sitting on dead animal skin thing. In the end nothing matters other then she does not want leather, so that is the way it is going to be.

I bought her a Silver Murano Monday with black cloth. Very nice vehicle. First tank of fuel, 23 MPG...

The Bose sterio simply KICKS!!!

I will probably pick up a new 4Runner for myself in the near future.

Gadget