YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   What other weird changes did they make to the 04 4runner? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/what-other-weird-changes-did-they-make-04-4runner-29853/)

Pitbull 03-31-2004 06:35 AM

What other weird changes did they make to the 04 4runner?

Just noticed on another thread that Toyota got rid of the dip stick on the 04 4runner 5 speed automatic transmission and made it a sealed unit so you never change the fluid. Also noticed on the service interval from Toyota that the coolant is not changed until 100K miles. I think it also indicated that the differentials and transfer case are only changed if you use your 4runner to tow. What other changes did they make to cut down on maintenance? Is this a good thing? In the past it alway made me feel like a good person to change fluids in my vehicles :)

The Dutch Man 03-31-2004 07:10 AM

Well, I have the 03 Runner. Just had the 15K service done Monday. It cost me $239.00-10%= $215.10. For this they did change my tranny fluid, t-case fluid, rear diff fluid, oil & filter, cleaned the t-body, tourqued all the usually BS things, etc. So, I feel glad mine is serviceable! Not changing tranny fluid is really scary. Amazing, the disposable economy we live in today! All I can say is the Toyota service departments must be peesstt!

Highland Runner 03-31-2004 07:41 AM

I'm sure it just means you have to have special tools/machine to change the fluid. More money for the dealer. Some GM cars have sealed cooling systems. I tried to fix my sister in laws car from overheating. I could get to, or even check the coolant level.
This is not as bad as some Dodge cars (Stratos I think) with the V-6 and FWD. The engine had to be removed to change the rear 3 plugs. Dumb.

X-AWDriver 03-31-2004 08:12 AM

Yep,the further we move along the car companies don't want us even opening the hood if they could and forget even modding a vehicle in another 20 years. :pop:

Highland Runner 03-31-2004 08:59 AM

If you open the hood of most new cars today, the only thing you see is a big piece of plastic. We wouldn't want to see that ugly engine.

r854rnr 03-31-2004 10:44 AM

Did 4th gen 4runners get rid of that crotch vent that 1st-3rd generation(I assume 2nd gens have it) 4runners have?
Just and odd curiousity I had the other day as my crotch was getting cold!

superjoe83 03-31-2004 11:12 AM

the main reason that car comapaies are making every thing sealed is to keep the do it your self car owner from doing matainence themselves, so they take it to the dealer. and in the end the car manufacture comes out on top :pop:

Pitbull 03-31-2004 11:40 AM

On the new Mercedes they eliminated the crankcase drain plug. They now suck the oil out through the dipstick access. You need a special machine to do it. Quess who has the machine :) That's right your local friendly Mercedes Dealer. Can anyone that owns a 04 4runner list all of the changes from a maintenance standpoint from the 03 4runner? Example the Dutchman got his transmission fluid change at 15K miles on his 03, I don't think they can do that on the 04 and it sure isn't in the Toyota Maintenance guide.

EDGE 03-31-2004 12:24 PM

BMW has lifetime fluid in the trans, my friends 528 has almost 60k on it and no problem, if any work is needed on the trans it is 140 bucks a quart, 10 quarts :con:

The manurfactures are doing the extended oil, no maintenance cause people already don't change the current stuff also less dirty oil to pollute, my fathers x-gf has a camry with 70k on it and never anything but an oil change 3k, no 15k, 30k or any maintenace interval :P