YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   what can i do for a smoother ride?? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/what-can-i-do-smoother-ride-89618/)

MONEY_MIKE 07-06-2006 03:41 PM

what can i do for a smoother ride??

i know its a truck blah blah blah, but my 97 tacoma rides pretty rough, and i am putting monroe sensatrac shocks in it, becuas ei have rancho 5000 on right now. but after that is there anything else that i can do to make the ride smoother. Anything easy??? I mean i know i could spend tons of money on better suspension but im not looking to do that.

by the way i jsut had an alignment rotate and balance done.

Tanto 07-06-2006 03:57 PM

Put a couple bags of sand in your bed. Then save for something better than Monroe.

LSUMatt1514 07-06-2006 05:29 PM

You're not gonna get a lot of sympathy from the guys on here about this question dude. The bottom line....there is really no way at all to make a 3rd gen 4Runner or Tacoma ride like newer model trucks and SUVs. It's just a fact of life. Granted, installing BamaChem's TRD lift will help, but only if you want to spend the money and lift your truck but even then, it's not going to be what you are looking for. No offense, but get used to the ride. I put a new set of Tokico TrekMaster shocks and struts on mine which helped with the rebound, better cornering, and not nearly as harsh of a ride as Bilsteins. Whatever you do don't buy Bilsteins if you want a "smooth" ride.

Matt

emptypockets 07-07-2006 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tanto
Put a couple bags of sand in your bed. Then save for something better than Monroe.

There are many people running Monroe Sensa Tracs here on YT and they're supposed to ride very well. They're cheap too! I have Rancho RSX's and they're a little on the harsh side. Like was said above, 4Runners and Tacos just won't ride softly no matter what you do!

habanero 07-07-2006 05:33 AM

You don't mention what tires you have....though I'd live with the ride for tires that allowed me to haul junk over passenger p-metrics, personally.

solarae 07-07-2006 07:45 AM

This thread cracks me up. I just got a 3rd gen 4Runner cuz I'm getting too old for the rough ride my 85 had. Just go drive an older Toy for awhile and get back in your Taco. It'll seem like driving a sofa in comparision. :laugh:

Jimmeh 07-07-2006 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by solarae
This thread cracks me up. I just got a 3rd gen 4Runner cuz I'm getting too old for the rough ride my 85 had. Just go drive an older Toy for awhile and get back in your Taco. It'll seem like driving a sofa in comparision. :laugh:

Or drive practically any vehicle from the 80's other then the high class luxury vehicles. You will be begging for your Taco's ride after a few months of driving a lawn chair at 70 miles an hour for a few months.

bob200587 07-07-2006 07:53 AM

My 4runner rides fine.....if you need it too be cushier than that, something is wrong, and its not with the truck.

cackalak han 07-07-2006 09:05 AM

Try driving around in an S2000 for a while. My 4Runner's like riding on a cloud.

rngrchad 07-07-2006 09:18 AM

My taco rides like a 2x4. Glad yours does to. Sorry but there aint much you can do about it other than add weight w/ sandbags in the bed.

Rick F. 07-07-2006 11:32 AM

I don't call my ride "kidney buster" for nothin'... But you gotta love it when other SUV's simply can't keep up with you on winding roads...

JGM 07-07-2006 11:39 AM

You could put that wicked expensive IRS system in. Might be marginally better. My sister's TRD Taco rides really nice, especially compared to my leaf-sprung 4Runner and FJ40.

But, I personally love the ride of my trucks. If I wanted to drive a cushy car, I'd drive my wife's ES330.

snap-on 07-07-2006 12:01 PM

put weight in the rear. mine rides rough till ive got 500 lbs in the back then its a soft baby

jrallan26 07-08-2006 06:02 AM

Instead of getting Monroes, consider the Tokicos that are in my Tacoma. The ride is very soft. I was considering getting a set of Bilstiens, I am going to get a new set of Tokicos. My .02 cents.

tom_mag 07-08-2006 11:25 PM

I put Monroe Reflex struts in the front of my 4runner and it rides really rough, but its better than the floating of the worn factory shocks. I was hoping to find an answer here too. My other car is a 71 Buick Riviera and it rides so much nicer than my 4runner. It also corners pretty good compared to my runner. I have always preferred cars that are softly sprung. That way if you want them to corner better you just install a humongus sway bar and you get a good compromise. These Toyotas are hard sprung and I don't think their is much you can do about it without swapping springs.