Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Well.. She's off to have her valves adjusted again!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well.. She's off to have her valves adjusted again!

Droped her off for the second round of valve shimming.. I think this guy is trying to get too close to the tight factory tollerance and after about 3000 miles they seat in just a bit and stay just slightly open.. Keep in mind, we are talking 150-180psi with to seals, just a 3 angle valve cut, steel to steel, to seal fully..

I did kinda feel better in a way, they guy has been great about it. Keep in mind also, this is at the very least a 5-6 hour job to do. Also when I droped it off, there was another 3.0 2nd gen 4Runner that had come back with the same problem as mine (and he installed the heads on that one)

Next nightmare.. The fuel pump!! Do I cut the floor open, or mess with 11 year old New England bolts??
Old 07-03-2003, 05:20 PM

Damn Lee, that truck is certainly trying to give you some fits.

I would not cut the floor. Wern't you at the Fall Colors Ride when Patrick had to swap out his pump at the campsite?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-04-2003, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

No.. My truck never runs in the Fall... The damn heads are always shot.. (Did you know I have run 2 out of 3 Jamboree's with my motor missing due to valve problems??) I sure the hell hope this is the last time he has to touch it.. I will probably end up pulling the tank, the lines are only $17 each and there are 4 of them...

:pat:
Old 07-04-2003, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Makes me wonder if he cut the valve seats too high or too narrow? Stock valve springs or stronger aftermarket?
If valve lash doesnt stay steady after the initial break in period I would look at something on the original valve job being off kilter.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

I have no idea.. I would have to say the springs are stock.. But what kills me is it looks like 2 shops have done the same problem?? This set of heads just did the same thing as the last set, but this time I paid all the money to have them done and damit, he is fixing it I don't care if I was the one who installed the heads or not.. He can tear it down and fix what is wrong.. I am a nice guy and will pay for the gaskets or what not.. But he is going to be tearing it down to fix the problem..

It may be cut wrong, But I somehow don't think they were wrong.. I think it all has to do with the adjustment and a break in period.. It always happens after about 3k after they are set.. But now, this is a second adjustment... So we will just have to see.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:55 AM

Hmm, been gone a bit so thought this was the valve job from last year I remember you had done.

I wonder if he did a interference cut on the valves or seat faces? Cutting the valves or seats so they are usually 1 degree different so valve contacts seat at upper part, this promotes fast sealing and break in but does allow lash to change more the first few thousand miles until the angle difference wears away.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Welll.. It is like this, Feb. 02 I had a 3.0 with 1 exhaust valve, so I tried to swap in a used motor from a parts truck.. That went bad (cliff note version here) Then I decieded to take my old heads and have them rebuilt. They lasted about 3k, motor ran rough as hell (shop now gone) Soo.. due to lack of funds, she sits from mid summer to Feb of 03 I had sent the heads from motor swap doner gone bad to a shop I had researched and looked into for building good heads and motors. I give him the heads and tell him that I dont care how long he has then, I don't even want to be called with a price.. I want perfection!!!, and this is why... (insert above story here)
So give her about 3k and I almost flip.. she is running rough. So I keep my self from running it off a clif anf call hime to tell him it is going to be at his shop to have him fix it.. He said he found one valve out and changed the ship.. Problem seemed fully gone. Now give about another 3k and WTF??!! it was back!!

Soooo.. Now we shall see what is going on now.. and how long this lasts..

˟˟˟˟in truck..
Old 07-24-2003, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Log note.. Day 21

No sighting of truck yet, starting to feel faint from lack of 'Yota in yard.. Not sure how much longer I can hold out. Jeep broken, down to just van... must push on... can't stop now...somewhere in the distance i can almost hear the sound of MT's on asphault... Mind must be slipping... must retain focus.. maybe I can send message in bottle to truck..............if only had bottle..............
Old 07-24-2003, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

haha

It's pretty funny how you worded your post. It's not funny that your truck isn't back yet.

I still can't believe you don't have your truck back yet. What is he doing to it that is taking so long? Maybe you should just tell him to buy you a set of brand new heads since he can't seem to do the job right.

It's no suprise the heep is broken.

Good Luck
Old 07-24-2003, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, the Jeep just needs a front U-joint but I can't just un-lock a hub like when my 4Runner ripped a CV boot. So I had to yank the axle shafts out and I will have new u-joints put in tomorow..

I called him today and he has still not started it yet! (I had told him I have a 2nd truck, but 3 weeks is getting kinda long) I told him my Jeep is broke and really need it for the weekend, so I hope to get it back by then...
Old 07-12-2005, 07:29 PM

Its kinda good to know I am not the only one with tons of valve and head problems. My infomous #6 valve burnt. At the time I didnt really know anything about shimming the valves or even replacing the head bolts. I wish it was the head gasket that went instead of more burnt valves. I think since my valves werent adjusted correctly they were all held open, since I went ahead and replaced all exhaust valves this burnt every exhaust valve which I had replaced. I have the left head off now and I took it to a maching shop and they said all the exhaust are burnt. It cost total $1200 the first time for the repair. The dude dissapeared that did it so im SOL. This time I am gonna shim and put new head bolts on myself. I have been driving a total off about 20,000 miles on a burnt valve or two.
Sucks dosent it.
Best of luck, keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:58 PM

By the way, your enjine is beauiful. I only dream of mine being that clean. good job.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

have you checked to see if you have an access pannel to get to the fuel pump. In the first gen 4runners there is a pannel under the rear passenger seat that can be removed which allows access to the top of the tank. I was under the impression that the second gen 4runners had it too.
Could be something to check out.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:43 PM

Are you running stock cams?
Are you having problems with specific valves like intakes only or exh only?
Im asking because Im having similar problems and after 2k in head work (and I did the wrenching) Im getting a bit disgusted.