YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Welding sliders to my brand new gen4 makes me nervous (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/welding-sliders-my-brand-new-gen4-makes-me-nervous-37401/)

fish 07-26-2004 04:43 PM

Welding sliders to my brand new gen4 makes me nervous

I'd really like to ditch the running boards and get a set of rock sliders, but the thought of welding pipes to my frame makes me really nervous. I was reading through both the factory warranty booklet and the TEC sheet last night and I'm really reluctant to add any mod that can't be easily removed prior to a dealer visit.

For those gen4 owners who have added sliders...do you worry about it at all? Am I just being a paranoid ˟˟˟˟˟?

Please share your thoughts...and your PICS!!!

tia

Good Times 07-26-2004 04:48 PM

i've added sliders (welded) and have taken it into the stealer to do numerous warranty repairs with no problems at all :)

i've thus visited two different dealers to have my 4runner worked on and both times they were more interested in the lifted 4runner than anything else!

btw, the two dealers were Puente Hills Toyota and Longo Toyota.

Scofco 07-26-2004 05:01 PM

Paranoid wussy :D
It shouldn't void a warranty of any kind. Tack those babies on there!

Always remember, it's only a truck.

Edited for language :nono:

fish 07-26-2004 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Scofco
Paranoid wussy :D

waaaa...moderator, he called me a bad name! :baby:

just kidding. You're truck is out of warranty, right Scofco? The wording on the TEC is pretty specific about any non-Toy approved accessories. I've also got a couple of BMW motorcycles, and some BMW dealers are really, really anal about that stuff.

Good Times 07-26-2004 05:07 PM

i had my downey coilovers(front), downey rear coil/shock, downey skid, rear diff breather mod and demello sliders and they didn't care. they were more oo'd by the fact that a lifted 4runner already existed.

so i wouldn't worry either. since welding sliders won't affect any part of your 4runner that will ruin the warranty.

Good Times 07-26-2004 05:17 PM

also more info on how warranty works for aftermarket stuff and if dealers can void certain things...

"The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act prohibits manufacturers from denying warranty coverage for a variety of reasons, one of which is aftermarket parts. In the event that an aftermarket part is installed, it is up to Toyota to PROVE that the part caused or contributed to a failure. So, it's likely that your deckplate would void the warranty on the airbox itself, but beyond that you are pretty well covered. If you suddenly have transmission troubles, it is unlikely that could be connected, nor could most other problems you might have." (Courtesy of WATRD)

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

Darx 07-26-2004 05:27 PM

Check out my signature. I've got all kinds of junk on my truck and Toyota Carlsbad has never said word one about it. They do the warranty work when they have to and have never said anything about it. However, I've never had to get any warranty work done where those parts are installed either.

I was actually there this past weekend picking up some parts and one of the guys that works there was taking pictures of my truck. He liked Demello's work.

For what it's worth my sliders are welded on.

SkyRat 07-26-2004 09:27 PM

One of the few things that would make me even more nervous would be wondering if that big rock under my front tire was about to smash in the running boards I was thinking about replacing.

VolcomTacoma 07-26-2004 10:08 PM

Does anyone here have bolt on sliders?

FirstToy 07-26-2004 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Yota

I'm working on that kinda with Ken Hanna

4RUNR 07-27-2004 05:26 AM

If you suddenly have transmission troubles, it is unlikely that could be connected, nor could most other problems you might have
Very connected. Sliders imply that you took a limited model 4th gen off-road. :nono: :P

waskillywabbit 07-27-2004 05:41 AM

Weld vs. bolted

Drilling a hole to bolt on sliders does just that, makes a HOLE in your frame. :pat: So which is stronger and easier to remove, welded on sliders or ones that leave a bunch of big holes!? :booty:

Weld them suckers on there. If you want to take them off, cut disc, grind down, cheap paint from Walmart and no one will ever know they were there.

:guitar:

TDiddy 07-27-2004 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Yota

Yes.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/RockSliderZ.shtml

lee 07-27-2004 05:44 AM

pretty sure he meant on a 4th gen

TDiddy 07-27-2004 05:56 AM

I'm sure Roger could build them, he would just need some measurements. Pismo is only a few hrs away from Roger, it might be worth a run up there! It does say on his site though that he will be away till mid August.

EDGE 07-27-2004 05:59 AM

Don't sweat it fishy, long as you don't roll into the dealer with a custom twin turbo setup and complain about the cam shafts being eaten to a pulp your fine :saw:

Toyotas cool, at least most of the dealers are and many dealers actually perform warranty work on vehicles way out of warranty, have you seen some of the street rigs set up for offroad that roll through the dealer, they never get dirty and they have rock sliders.

I've voided powertrain warranties, maybe I'll do that with the 4Runner :bigok: my friend just got an M3 and is putting an SC on it and the dealer is fine with it :chair: well sort of

Scofco 07-27-2004 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
Very connected. Sliders imply that you took a limited model 4th gen off-road. :nono: :P

Just because a honda has a spoiler, doesn't mean it goes fast.

FirstToy 07-27-2004 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Drilling a hole to bolt on sliders does just that, makes a HOLE in your frame. :pat: So which is stronger and easier to remove, welded on sliders or ones that leave a bunch of big holes!? :booty:

What about choice #3? :hillbill: no drilling, no welding

Actually, I read a ton on the web and everyone's different writeups and it seems like welding is just fine. There doesn't seem to be any problem with it- except I think a couple people say it is possibly bad for the frame (?) was that on Robinhood's site?

Anyway, I think enough people have proven welding is a solid choice.

WATRD 07-27-2004 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
There doesn't seem to be any problem with it- except I think a couple people say it is possibly bad for the frame (?) was that on Robinhood's site?

Anyway, I think enough people have proven welding is a solid choice.

Weld away. The frames are pretty thin and easy to burn through, but any competent welder should be able to attach sliders without damaging anything. Some of us have done a great deal more welding on the frame than just a few slider mount points with no bad effects. :)

My original sliders were bolt on... what a hassle. Too many holes, too much risk of crushing the frame, etc. It's weld on from now on for me.

waskillywabbit 07-27-2004 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
What about choice #3? :hillbill: no drilling, no welding

:chair: