Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

VSC off, VSC Trac and CEL came on after putting in K & N Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSC off, VSC Trac and CEL came on after putting in K & N Air Intake

Hi there,

I recently replaced the factory Air Intate system with K&N Air Intake (FIPK 57-9015-1) for my 2001 4Runner. Two days later VSC off, VSC Trac and Engine Light came on. I'm not sure if these lights came on because of the new air intake or it is an unrelated issue. I called K&N and they suggested that I unplug the negative battery for at least one full hour and see if the light will be gone. I did as suggested and so far so good the lights are gone...I'm hoping that they are not coming back. Have any of you put K&N Air Intake in your 4runner? Did I do something wrong? Do you have any suggestion as to what may have gone wrong? I'm worried that there might be a bigger problem in the future.

Thanks for your help!!
Henry
Old 12-28-2005, 03:11 PM

Welcome, I would do a search for K&N and you should get your question answered
Old 12-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HenrySacto
Hi there,

I recently replaced the factory Air Intate system with K&N Air Intake (FIPK 57-9015-1) for my 2001 4Runner. Two days later VSC off, VSC Trac and Engine Light came on. I'm not sure if these lights came on because of the new air intake or it is an unrelated issue. I called K&N and they suggested that I unplug the negative battery for at least one full hour and see if the light will be gone. I did as suggested and so far so good the lights are gone...I'm hoping that they are not coming back. Have any of you put K&N Air Intake in your 4runner? Did I do something wrong? Do you have any suggestion as to what may have gone wrong? I'm worried that there might be a bigger problem in the future.

Thanks for your help!!
Henry
Have a FIPK in my '99 and have not had similar issues. It just may be a coincidence.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Henry,
Did you install just the K&N filter, or the entire FIPK kit (which does away with the factory airbox)? Is there a chance that you disturbed any vacuum line fittings?

Andreas
Old 12-30-2005, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Have a FIPK in my '99 and have not had similar issues. It just may be a coincidence.
Did you install the FIPK yourself? Did you have to remove the EFI fuse from the fuse box like some of the suggestions when making a deck plate mod?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by aowRS
Henry,
Did you install just the K&N filter, or the entire FIPK kit (which does away with the factory airbox)? Is there a chance that you disturbed any vacuum line fittings?

Andreas

Andreas,

I installed the entire FIPK. I'm not sure if i disturbed any of the vacuum line, but I checked and everything looked fine. Anyway, I've already removed the K&N FIPK and put the original system back. The lights are gone and will see if they come back on or not in a few days. I will return the K&N FIPK since it is well over $250.00. I will look into making a deck plate mod to get more air flow like some of the guys. Do you know anything about the deck plate mod? It is a good idea?

Thanks,
Henry
Old 12-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HenrySacto
Andreas,

I installed the entire FIPK. I'm not sure if i disturbed any of the vacuum line, but I checked and everything looked fine. Anyway, I've already removed the K&N FIPK and put the original system back. The lights are gone and will see if they come back on or not in a few days. I will return the K&N FIPK since it is well over $250.00. I will look into making a deck plate mod to get more air flow like some of the guys. Do you know anything about the deck plate mod? It is a good idea?

Thanks,
Henry
It's located in our tech section. Just click on the link below for a detailed explanation of what it is. If you want others opinions then use the search feature located above... it can prove pretty handy at times

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/techpage5.htm
Old 12-30-2005, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a K&N fan at all, because I'm an employee of WIX filtration, and our engineers have proven the innefectiveness of the reusable gauze type filters. On many makes of vehicles the K&N oil will contaminate the very sensitive mass air flow sensor. This will cause a decrease in fuel efficiency, a rough idle, and general driveability issues. After all, nobody knows how much or how little oil to put on one of those filters. But since it's a new kit, I'm assuming it came oiled from the factory and is probably just right.
Clean your MAF sensor with some CRC electrical components cleaner.
A Toyota tech once told me not to disconnect the battery cable to clear a CEL, because it resets all the ECM functions for the vehicle...that should give you an idea the caliber of technical skills the K&N hotline people have. What would you expect from a company that prescribes the exact same filter media for use on a worthless beat-up old '72 Ford farm truck as it does for use on your expensive, highly technologically-advanced and precision-tuned late model Toyota engine? K&N likes to talk trash about the 'paper filters' on the market, but look at your OE Toyota air filter and tell me it looks like it's made of paper. It's a specialized, highly-engineered synthetic blend that was application engineered to remove particles of a specific size, and it took years to perfect. Sorry,
I think you made the right choice getting rid of the K&N.

Last edited by spindleshanks; 12-30-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by spindleshanks
I'm not a K&N fan... Sorry,
don't be, its allright, really.
ive had mine on for over 10,000 miles w/o any problems.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:16 PM

Except that it doesn't trap as manym contaminant particles of as small a size as the OE filter. How do you think it breathes better? If you really want an affordable performance upgrade to decrease airflow resistance, the best bang for your buck would be to throw away your filter altogether. Would you do that? NO? Then why would you use K&N?