YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Using toluene to boost octane (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/using-toluene-boost-octane-3233/)

WATRD 11-08-2002 10:45 PM

Using toluene to boost octane

There has been a lively debate about how best to boost fuel octane going on within TTORA for a year or better now.

I thought I might share this article here for those of you who have wanted just bit more power or who have had some pinging.

I have been playing with the mix for a few months now and I can state from experience that about a gallon to the tank gives me a quite noticably positive effect :)

Enjoy... http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc...explained.html

Beowulf 11-08-2002 10:50 PM

Any negative effect over a long term period?

WATRD 11-08-2002 10:54 PM

It's already a part of the gas you buy, so, no.

Here's what the website has to say about that,

Q: Will toluene damage my engine or other parts of my car?

A: A 5 or 10% increase in the aromatic content of gas will most likely be well within the refining specifications of gasoline defined by ASTM D4814, which specify an aromatic content of between 20% and 45%. What this means is that if the 92 octane gas that you started off with had an aromatic content of say 30% and you increased it by 10% to 40% you would still be left with a mix that meets the industry definition of gasoline. So the above question would amount to: "Will gasoline damage my engine or other parts of my car?"

Dr. Zhivago 11-09-2002 09:10 AM

Great article Rob! Thanks for the link. I'm pretty certain even my NA engine would benefit.

Dr. Z

Beowulf 11-09-2002 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Great article Rob! Thanks for the link. I'm pretty certain even my NA engine would benefit.

Dr. Z

Ditto, I'm a going to check it out as well.

Dr. Zhivago 11-11-2002 02:03 PM

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

So, I mixed up a tankful of Rocket Fuel on the way home today. :devil: Muwhahahahaha!!!

I bought a gallon of Toluene at Miller Paints, added it to my nearly empty tank and filled with Shell Premium. I had about a 15 mile drive home from the gas station. Man what a difference! About 10 days ago I switched to 265/75/16 tires and I lost a little bit of get-up-n-go with them. The Rocket Fuel certainly fixed all that. :)

I highly recommend you try this at least once.

Dr. Z

WATRD 11-11-2002 02:14 PM

I am glad that tip was useful for you :)

I have my aux tank filled with 13 gallons of 101 octane + 2 gallons of toluene at the moment. Sometime about Wednesday or so my main tank will be low enough for me to do the transfer :) Muahhahahhahahahhahahhah is RIGHT! :):)

When I run that combo, I can actually uncover my deckplate and drive like a scalded ape without pinging :)

Dr. Zhivago 11-11-2002 02:20 PM

Originally posted by WATRD
Muahhahahhahahahhahahhah is RIGHT! :):)

When I run that combo, I can actually uncover my deckplate and drive like a scalded ape without pinging :)

ROFL

Thanks for that image, Rob. :laugh:
Dr. Z

rowan 11-11-2002 05:56 PM

to me it doesn't seem worth it. i don't run on 92 octane anyways so...... if i had a supercharger or something where i needed higher octane it would make a good difference if i could get it higher than what i could buy that the station. but other wise.. if i want more vvvrrroooommmm then i will just buy higher octane. :dunno:

loosehead 11-12-2002 09:43 AM

Hey Watrd,

Thanks for post the article, very intersting read. I had read something a while back about using Xylene to do the same thing, since it is a closely related aromatic to Tolulene, but it seems that Tolulene is the prefered chemical.

An interesting side bar is that Tolulene and Xylene are a couple of the main ingredients in those little bottles of fuel injector cleaners at the parts store...hmmm.

11-12-2002 11:19 AM

I'd like to get the professional's opinion on this. Jay, what do ya say? is this stuff the real deal or what? will there be any harmful side effects to using it just every now and then?

naksukow 11-12-2002 01:41 PM

I think anything over 95 octane would be overkill for a supercharged engine w/ 7lbs of boost but I would mix to come up with something that is best for your vehicle. Nothing wrong with being conservative.

Just use Xylene.

2/3 part 93 octane gas.
1/3 part Xylene.
For every gallon of mixed gas/xylene add 10 oz. of Marvel's Mystery Oil.

This blend will give you about 101 octane unleaded fuel.

Get the Xylene at any Shirwin Willams.

mhawker 11-12-2002 08:59 PM

Mystery Oil

Really? Use Marvel's? We use that as "after run" oil in the RC planes. What benefit does it have for gasoline?

Mike

Patrick D 11-13-2002 12:22 AM

Hey I am new to the Yotatech site but have been on the 4x4 wire site for over a year or two. I was wondering where you can get the Toluene from? I went to Home Depot they had no clue what it was, went to Ace Hardware they knew what it was but didn't carry it, went to Kelly-Moore Paint and they said it was illegal, and finally went to Orchard supply and they also had no clue what it was. So if anyone could help me thanks. Maybe its just a California thing? :rolleyes:
-Patrick D:bounce:

Dr. Zhivago 11-13-2002 06:57 AM

Originally posted by Patrick D
Hey I am new to the Yotatech site but have been on the 4x4 wire site for over a year or two. I was wondering where you can get the Toluene from? I went to Home Depot they had no clue what it was, went to Ace Hardware they knew what it was but didn't carry it, went to Kelly-Moore Paint and they said it was illegal, and finally went to Orchard supply and they also had no clue what it was. So if anyone could help me thanks. Maybe its just a California thing? :rolleyes:
-Patrick D:bounce:

They told Toluene itself is illegal? Or did you mention what you were gonna do with it and that's when they told you how naughty you were being? :)

Did you check at a Sherwin Williams store?

More info please.
Dr. Z

Patrick D 11-13-2002 04:55 PM

n/m finally found a sherwin-williams, it was hiding out in Campbell

Dr. Zhivago 11-13-2002 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Patrick D
n/m finally found a sherwin-williams, it was hiding out in Campbell
Cool! Have fun! :D

Dr. Z

Jay 11-13-2002 11:18 PM

First ive heard of it.

Im not a performance :nerd: !

Jay :welder:

AUJWE 06-20-2003 03:46 PM

You guys that have been running the Toulene for a little while now, Any side-effects yet? What about you N/A folks? Dr. Z? Just wondering b/c I am thinking about trying this.

WATRD 06-20-2003 03:56 PM

I am still playing with it and use it to spice up the occasional tank. But, since it requires a trip the paint store and then I have to mix it myself, it's easier to just hit the racing fuel store and fill the tank with 101 or 104 octane and call it good :) So, that is what I do most of the time.