Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Two new instrument cluster mods and an alarm upgrade!(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two new instrument cluster mods and an alarm upgrade!(pics)

Well this Saturday was a good day for the Runner! I finally customized my indiglo gauges with a TRD decal. Chris Steger gets credit for that one. I also changed my blinkers from green to blue. It was relatively easy. I used a file folder and cut 4 layers out to get the right brightness of blue that I wanted. They turned out awesome I love them! Thanks BTownRunner for you help in that. Well since them two mods were cheap I went out on a limb and upgraded my Clifford Arrow III alarm so that if you get close to it, like to peer in the window it chirps 4 times at you. Also if you take a quarter and tap on any of the glass off she goes. Before I had a basic system and you could kick a dent in the thing and the alarm probably wouldn't have gone off. Also I got the glass sensors because I was worried someone would break out my back window to go for my subs. I feel much better parking the truck in the city now!Hell in my driveway for that matter! Here are the pics! It's dark out and my Digicam takes crummy pics without the flash but you get the idea. The clear background on the TRD decal shows up more than I thought it would. I may take it back apart and try to cut more of the clear off around the edges.

For those of you who are intimidated by tearing into your dashboard to do these kind of mods you would be amazed at how simple it really is. This last pic shows the old green piece that was in the dash and blue stuff is what's left of the folder I used. A small bulb flashes through the little piece of plastic.... surprisingly simple!!

Old 11-26-2002, 01:40 AM
Contributing Member

DOH! I found out that I did in fact screw this little project up. Thanks to Chris Steger for confirming my suspicions. If you look in the middle pic you can see the square where I cut the backing off of the TRD sticker. This didn't blend in nearly as well as I thought leaving an insightly edge around the sticker. Well I found out from Chris that the whole clear part peels off leaving just the TRD letters themselves! It is just like any other window sticker. I peeled it off several times during the install for positioning and it appeard to be all one piece. Now I gotta tear it apart again and carefully get rid of the clear covering..:pat: Oh well it's all good. I've done it so many times now I can have the cluster out in under 10 minutes!
Old 11-26-2002, 04:21 AM

Looks good Joey. That folder material looks like the exact same stuff that I used, but mine was red. Very nice. Goodwork. Goodluck on the sticker fix-up. :fireman:
Old 11-26-2002, 04:55 AM

very trick... i need to find some indiglos for my runner.

looking good!
Old 11-26-2002, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Good work Joey that looks awsome, I love the TRD sticker, I didn't even notice the outlin until you pointed it out, where do you get those tiny clear plastic TRD stickers?

I need to find some reverse indiglos for my baby, and then do that blu blinker thing as well. Can someone explain to me in a more detailed manner on how to go about doing this, I know there is a write up but I don't get it still, also Joey what exactly did you do with the blue folder to get the blue color on your blinkers. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Stump I got the sticker made from Chris Steger. He's got a real nice gold 2nd Gen on here.
Joey what exactly did you do with the blue folder to get the blue color on your blinkers. Thanks.
If you look at the last pic the piece on the right is the old green background for the blinkers. All I did was take that folder piece and cut out 4 pieces that look just like the old green one. I did 4 to get the right shade of blue. You then just put the new blue ones in place of the old on. Granted this piece my be totally different on a 3rd Gen, but the procedure would be the same. Just use the shape of the old place as a template. Good luck!
Old 11-26-2002, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
UK:

Verrrry clever! It looks great!

Oh by the way, I saw this great show last night on Wings (cable TV) about Combat Air Refueling. Of course I thought about you. One question though: Why is it that the Air Force has that boom and the other services have that big ol' fish net/drogue (sp?) thing? Seems to me that the latter would be easier for the pilot but who am I to know?

Bob
Old 11-26-2002, 10:28 AM

Well I guess you have been going to town on the Mods lately. Looks really sharp!!!
Old 11-26-2002, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Why is it that the Air Force has that boom and the other services have that big ol' fish net/drogue (sp?) thing?
Bob I get asked this alot and to be honest I do not really know. There are some distinct advantage/disadvantages of each though. We can pump nearly 4 times the amount of fuel through the boom as we can the drogue in the same amount of time. Also I think it is easier for the pilot to get on the boom than the drogue. With the boom he just flies into a rough postition then I fly the boom into his receptacle making contact. With the drogue they have to do all the work themselves. I don't like doing drogue because I am pretty much at their mercy for them to disconnect if they start to get unstable where with the boom I can disconnect with the squeeze of my finger and fly the boom safely out of the way. Hope this helps!
Old 11-26-2002, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Joey can you give me an e-mail adress or his name on this forum of Chirs Steger? I think I know his rig but have never talked to him or even seen him post here before(propboly have but didn't know). I want to get some reverse indis off e-bay and get my gauges done up right as well. Thanks again Joey.