Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra 231mm Brake Upgrade

Old 09-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra 231mm Brake Upgrade

I recently bought a '99 4Runner after some guy smashed into my '97 in a parking lot and destroyed it. I really like the '99 with the multi-mode 4wd, but just like my previous 4Runner the brakes SUCK! I finally decided it was time to get rid of the stock brakes when I was driving down a mountain the other day and things got a little scary. The front brakes were vibrating so violently that I pulled off the road to let things cool down for a few minutes. That's definitely a no-go considering I'll be using this vehicle to tow things here in the near future.

So last night I went to AutoZone and picked up both calipers, rotors, and the Duralast Gold brake pads. An hour and a half later, I drove the 4Runner around with the new front brakes and was very pleased. The 231mm calipers fit just fine with my stock 16in "five star" wheels. The only thing I had to modify was the dust shield, or what ever that metal thing is. I simply used my heavy duty scissors and trimmed it back some.

I'm very pleased with these upgraded brakes, and quite frankly can't figure out why it didn't come this way from the factory. Those stock front brakes are just way undersized and dangerous.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The brake upgrade is nice, helps keep brake fade at bay.

Although even with that in mind, if you plan to tow heavy loads on mountain terrain on a regular basis the 4runner is not the truck for the job. You want a big American truck, diesel preferably. They are cheap now days and there is no comparison is how they tow.

That said I have towed some pretty heavy stuff with my 4runner but it was mostly on flat ground.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 AM

Luckily I'm not towing anything real heavy. Just small boats, jet skis, my motorcycle, etc.

TA, I know you followed Clownmeat's turbo build a while back and I'm getting ready to build the same thing. I've already got the T3/T4 turbo and I'm slowly piecing it all together. But since I'm relocating for a new job, I probably won't be able to get started on this for a little while. I'm building a DIY meth injection based on your guide.

I shouldn't have any problems towing after that 8)
Old 09-26-2012, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

Power was not the problem in my case, even bone stock it towed 8k+lb.

The problem is stability, that 8000 load was also one of the scariest tows of my life. Braking is also a problem.

If you are just towing light stuff though you should be fine.

The turbo will make it a lot more fun, I have similar plans myself. The DIY meth injection kit is great for minor stuff but it you will be using it with a turbo kit to keep things running you need a better progressive kit.

I like the Coolingmist CMGS, it is worth the extra cost.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:28 AM

TA, are you planning to remote mount your turbo as well? Or are you going straight off the manifold? How much do you plan to run? I don't plan on going over 7-8psi.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Robb235
TA, are you planning to remote mount your turbo as well? Or are you going straight off the manifold? How much do you plan to run? I don't plan on going over 7-8psi.
Mine will be a little different, not gonna be remote mount that is for sure.

Hope to make around 400whp as I think that is all the transmission will handle but the turbo I plan to use is good for 900whp.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 AM

Well, back on topic. I went down another mountain today with a couch in the back of the 4Runner. Brakes worked fine and felt MUCH better than the old 4Runner brakes (no head shake!). However I noticed they were smoking a bit when I got to the bottom. I think wiped down the new rotors with brake cleaner, but I guess I didn't remove the entire film of stuff they put on new rotors. Brakes still feel great though.

BTW, how many millimeters are the stock 4Runner brakes?

Last edited by Robb235; 09-27-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Robb235
Well, back on topic. I went down another mountain today with a couch in the back of the 4Runner. Brakes worked fine and felt MUCH better than the old 4Runner brakes (no head shake!). However I noticed they were smoking a bit when I got to the bottom. I think wiped down the new rotors with brake cleaner, but I guess I didn't remove the entire film of stuff they put on new rotors. Brakes still feel great though.

BTW, how many millimeters are the stock 4Runner brakes?
Sounds like you didn't bed the brakes properly after install. Fresh brakes will smoke until they are bedded if they get hot enough. Bedding is very important to get a good brake job. As long as you drove for awhile after getting that hot without stopping then you should be fine as that is more or less what bedding is anyways.

I would go out and find an empty road and do a few fast as you can go then hit the brakes as hard as you can until you are going ~10mph without stopping. Repeat a few times and then drive for a half our or so to let them cool off. Don't stop unless you have to.