Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Injector Kit ($1299)!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?

ALL the newer Tacoma's have dual cat's. I can't speak for the 4Runner's 'though.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member

So according to TOR, this is only available for the 99-02 models. I guess I am out anyway..
Old 09-26-2003, 05:11 AM
TOR

Injector Kit

Ok to clear up any confusion here is the deal. From 99 and on all Toyota Tacos and 4-Runners have dual cats. All are manufactured now with dual cats for environmental purposes, i.e. California spec. These qualify because of the dual cats and because the computers on the new ones have a different map sensor programming. Thus, the earlier models such as mine 97 and on will not work. After speaking to a few people though I am not sure I want to have an injector blowing fuel down through my SC. I guess we will find out how it goes when Rob gets his installed. Rob hook us up with a detailed description of the kit and what it does for ya! Here is my quesiton though and one TRD won't answer yet. They already make the 4.7L with extra injector, will they start producing the new 3.4L s in the future with this already attached?

Todd
Old 09-26-2003, 05:16 AM

All I know is if all this hype about blowing fuel through the S/C is bad crap, and now they are doing it, I'm going to be implementing my original water injection plan if it proves not to be harmful. I can't wait to see a detailed writeup of this injector install.

Todd, is there any way you can find out what material the S/C is made out of? I'm wanting to match the similar material when I do my water injection.

Chris
Old 09-26-2003, 05:20 AM

Todd:

I beg to differ. My 2000 is a single cat.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:30 AM
TOR

SC

Ravencr, I will give Toni a call at Magnuson and see what he has to say. In addition I will see what if anything the manual says.

Paul, what I am seeing in the computer is one cat is in the down pipe going from your exhaust manifold and the other is on the lead pipe going to the muffler. Is your down pipe straight with nothing in it?

Todd

Last edited by TOR; 09-26-2003 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:38 AM

That would be great! Thanks man,

Chris
Old 09-26-2003, 05:38 AM

Todd:

Correct. The down pipe is straight and a single cat just before the muff. I have seen a dual-cat system and they have one cat in front of the other. Maybe that's why TRD states for "dual-cats" only? Maybe the ECU mapping is different for those??

Paul
Old 09-26-2003, 05:50 AM
TOR

Paul

Hmm that is interesting, I will have to get further clarification on this I guess. TRD will be no help in this matter so I will get a hold of one of the techs out in the shop.

Todd
Old 09-26-2003, 05:56 AM
TOR

Cali Specs

Paul, after looking over this with our back counter guy and another tech there is a split in production evidently in 00. In other words if you have a 99 or 00 you need to check underneath your vehicle and see if it has two or not. This is so stupid, this is just like TRD to invent some BS exception to their performance parts on an existing part.

Get this one, had a customer come in about 6 months ago and buy the big brake and caliper set offered by TRD. We are talking almost $3000 after installation! Anyhow, the guy comes back in last week to buy new pads for it and TRD has already discontinued the pads and the sets. The guy is now stuck with $2500 worth of equipment that he can't get brakes for.

Todd
Old 09-26-2003, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Injector Kit

Originally posted by TOR
I guess we will find out how it goes when Rob gets his installed. Rob hook us up with a detailed description of the kit and what it does for ya!Todd
Will do. There seems to be enough interest in what the kit is and what it does, so I will do a full photo write-up of the install and aftermath...

People have claimed for years that squirting anything through the S/C is a bad idea and TRD claims that this kit does not fix the low RPM, acceleration ping, so it will be interesting to see what they have come up with and what it does.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:44 AM
TOR

Geat Site!

Hey WATRD, you got a great site w/ some awesome pics. Definitely looks like you get your money's worth out of your truck. The guys in the shop love it! I do have a question for ya, my buddy wants an ARB bumper w/ winch like yours where did you pick yours up?

Todd
Old 09-26-2003, 07:18 AM

Re: Cali Specs

Originally posted by TOR
Paul, after looking over this with our back counter guy and another tech there is a split in production evidently in 00. In other words if you have a 99 or 00 you need to check underneath your vehicle and see if it has two or not. This is so stupid, this is just like TRD to invent some BS exception to their performance parts on an existing part.
You can just look at a sticker under your hood to find out. My 2000 4Runner is a Federal Emissions compliant vehicle (single cat). I forget exactly what the codes (or if it says Federal Emissions) on the sticker are, but it's there.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:27 AM
Away

Re: Cali Specs

Originally posted by TOR
Paul, after looking over this with our back counter guy and another tech there is a split in production evidently in 00. In other words if you have a 99 or 00 you need to check underneath your vehicle and see if it has two or not. <snip>
Todd
Hey no offense, but I'm dumbfounded that someone who works for a dealer wouldn't know this... This has been mentioned MANY times. Performance Products has difficulty accepting this fact as well as they tried to send me the WRONG exhaust system THREE times. However, there are many other manufacturers of after-market products who know about this.

And, just so you know, there is a difference in the ECU's between the single and dual cat trucks, as the dual cat trucks do NOT have a standard O2 sensor in the front position. Instead, they use a wide-band A/F Ratio sensor and the signals are not compatible between the two. It even mentions this in the factory wiring diagrams for the ECU. This started in 99 for the CARB models.

My .02
Dr. Z
Old 09-26-2003, 08:10 AM

That is wild. Mine is a 99 single cat so I am out on this mod. Not that I have the money to even think about doing it. That is really weird that TRD would put out a kit that only applies to 1/3 of the 3.4L vehicles.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two threads going on this subject. I have very little faith in TRD at this point, I am very interested in this 7th injector kit. I just requested that the installation manual be faxed to me so I can see how it installs and find out more about it (hopefully). If this thing makes sense to me (forget about the $$$), I will spring for it. The fax is ringing as I type. It is 19 pages.

Kevin MacMillan at Magnuson told me about this kit a long time ago and I may also call and speak with him about it to get a more objective and knowledgeable opinion.

I wonder what it will do to gas mileage?
Old 09-26-2003, 01:02 PM

Peter,

Who'd you call and ask for the fax from? CAn I get the same number or email or can you fax it to me?

Chris
Old 09-26-2003, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ravencr
Peter,

Who'd you call and ask for the fax from? CAn I get the same number or email or can you fax it to me?

Chris
Hey Chris,
I called the monkeys at TRD USA ... there are actually 2 of them now. I received the fax but it was very poor quality as far as the pics were concerned. I then called back and asked them to send me a .pdf file, which they said they would. I have not received that yet. When I get that file I can forward it to you. I can also fax you what I have if you want just the text (19 pages). Send me a PM with your fax or wait for me to get the .pdf file. I have not had time to read it all yet but they do include a new ECU and wire harness. They also want you to change out the plugs to DENSO IK20 (TRD PN 00602-17620-262) ---- gapped to 0.032" would you believe. Hmmmm.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:27 PM
Away

Well, there's why it costs $1300... New ECU and harness.

I hope nobody from these boards buys one of these kits.

Dr. Z
Old 09-26-2003, 01:36 PM

Peter,

Once you get the pdf, I'd love to get a copy: chrisrademacher@fastmail.fm

Thanks man,

Chris

Quick Reply: TRD Injector Kit ($1299)!