Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Trans still wont go into OD, no help from dealership.. HELP! I need PNs!

Old 11-14-2005, 03:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trans still wont go into OD, no help from dealership.. HELP! I need PNs!

Ok, I'm going to try and get a little more help with my AT issue before I take it in to the stealership against my will.. I stopped in at the parts counter Friday and asked about the AT temp sensor, they didn’t know what I was talking about, pulled up the fiche and nothing, so the parts guy walked out to speak with the mechanic. He really didn’t know either! The both came back over and pulled up a few more screens and found 2 temp sensors that screw into the transmission not the engine! One was $130.. one was $95 and they didn’t know which one it would even be, they actually thought they were for the temp warning lights. I really need to get my over drive issue figured out, I had to use my truck Friday to haul a load of drywall scrap to the land fill about an hour away and without OD it was a long, high rpm trip and I really do not like running my 3.0 hard! Does anyone have the part number of the trans temp sensor that you think is failing? If its warm out side my truck stays in with no problems once it goes in the first time… If I shut it off hot for a few minutes. Could it be the trans fluid that I used when I did a 17 quart flush early this past summer??? Any help would be much appreciated. I really don't want to take it to the dealer if they haven’t ever even heard of the sensor. They automatically started talking about a bad solenoid valve or cables being out of adjustment even after I told them that if its not too cold out once it goes in the first time its fine! I don't know what to do next. I did a full engine coolant flush and changed out the thermostat…
Old 11-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Banned

Did you replace the Thermostat with proper one?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

I think so?

I got it along with the seals at the local Napa parts store, the stealer was closed and I had the day off! Its the stock temp 182 degree all stainless steel... with Prestone orange antifreeze after another flush "I had the H2O pump and timing belt replaced last year".
Old 11-14-2005, 03:52 AM
Banned

What fluid did you use and did you also change the filter??

I have looked and can not find you the part number. Maybe somebody else can tell you or you can always call the Stealership and ask them to look it up for you.

Did all this start after you changed the fluid??

Last edited by NathanBERG; 11-14-2005 at 03:59 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

I used..

I used Mobil semi synthetic fluid, fresh filter and gasket.. No I probably put 5,000 or more on it since the fluid was changed with no problems at all. Its really strange, once the engine and all gets up to temp, if I shut it off for a few minutes it will go into OD smoothly like it should.. BUT on these colder days we have been having after a few minutes of driving it drops back into 3rd and wont go back into OD till you stop and shut it off for a while, it started doing this late this summer but once you shut it off and let it sit for a while it was fine, I’m not sure if its temp related or if there is a major issue starting to happen. I was thinking about changing the fluid again but its clean and bright red... I really don’t want to take it to the dealership.. not the one I stopped at Friday anyway, they didn’t have a clue as to what I was talking about. I thought there was a temp sensor that screws into the engine.. I don’t know, this sucks. Ive never really towed with the truck, never beat it or really ran it all that hard. I do tow a very light weight trailer with some times but that shouldnt hurt it... any thoughts?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:35 AM
Banned

ummmm? Ya drain the fluid and replace with the recommended fluid. I use chevron Dextron III
Then make sure you properly check the fluid level. I am sure you know how to but just incase.
You need to worm up the transmission fluid by driving around for about 20 or so miles then stop and drop the shifter through all the gears and return to park then check the dip stick wiping it off first.

Last edited by NathanBERG; 11-14-2005 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ilovemountains
I used Mobil semi synthetic fluid, fresh filter and gasket.. No I probably put 5,000 or more on it since the fluid was changed with no problems at all. Its really strange, once the engine and all gets up to temp, if I shut it off for a few minutes it will go into OD smoothly like it should.. BUT on these colder days we have been having after a few minutes of driving it drops back into 3rd and wont go back into OD till you stop and shut it off for a while, it started doing this late this summer but once you shut it off and let it sit for a while it was fine, I’m not sure if its temp related or if there is a major issue starting to happen. I was thinking about changing the fluid again but its clean and bright red... I really don’t want to take it to the dealership.. not the one I stopped at Friday anyway, they didn’t have a clue as to what I was talking about. I thought there was a temp sensor that screws into the engine.. I don’t know, this sucks. Ive never really towed with the truck, never beat it or really ran it all that hard. I do tow a very light weight trailer with some times but that shouldnt hurt it... any thoughts?
If I were you I would talk to John at Import Performance Transmissions:
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/
He is the guy that does most of the up graded valve bodies on the supercharged trucks. John is a damn nice guy and I'm sure will be glad to help you. I wouldn't spend a dime or do anything else to the truck until I talked to John. He did my valve body and has answered all my tranny questions.

Dave
Old 11-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Not Mobil

OK I stopped at AutoZone at lunch, the ATF that I used is AAMCO synthetic blend that says its supercedes III and is safe for all imports.. I cant imagine that the fluid is the issue??
Old 11-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Any input

Bump for assistance!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave gave you the best advice I think anyone could come up with... Call John at IPT.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone know Daves last name?

I tried to call him today; does anyone have his last name? I feel kind of awkward calling him about a problem I’m having but if you all tell me he is cool with that Ill call him tomorrow! Anyone else have any other input on my issue? Anyone know exactly how the OD works in one of these transmissions, any worse case scenarios? What do you think the total cost of ditching the AT for a 5sp would be? If my Trans needs a rebuild I know what one of my winter projects will most likely be!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

I meant John!

Sorry I meant John!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilovemountains
I tried to call him today; does anyone have his last name? I feel kind of awkward calling him about a problem I’m having but if you all tell me he is cool with that Ill call him tomorrow!
"John Lombardo", which I got from their "about" page at: http://www.importperformancetrans.com/about.shtml

John's also online here as "Transdude".

Yes, he's VERY cool, VERY approachable, and VERY knowledgable. Tell him "The Yotatech forum" sent you so that he knows where the referral came from.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:55 PM

Okay first,

The filter doesn't need to be changed. It is a metal screen. Just unbolt it and wash it with brake cleanser. Don't throw it out unless theres holes in it which will point to more serious problems.

Two, pull the codes and see what the problem is. It may be the temp sensor but it could be the TPS or it could also be the kickdown cable. The code will give you the area to look. Do this before you go changing the fluid and cleaning the filter screen cause if it turns out to be a shift solenoid, then you can kill tow birds with one stone. Next, send me your e-mail and i will e-mail you the trans files from the factory service manual. Third or fourth, get the fluid changed using the machine that changes all the fluid not just that in the pan. I can't remember the name of the machine but others here will. Look up pulling trouble codes here on this site for the procedure on how to do it. Just have a paper clip on stand by. Its super easy and take roughly ten seconds.

Last edited by Babypig; 11-14-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

I spoke with John this morning.. Need PN of ETC asap so I can order it!

I just got off the phone with John.. He thinks it is the engine temperature sensor...There are 2 of them "I think" 1 for the guage and idiot lights the other controls the ECU... Anyone have the part number, or actual name of the sensor that I need?
Old 11-15-2005, 05:24 AM
Banned

You are most likely going to have to call the Stealer for those sensors. They can also tell you the part numbers.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:26 AM

Once again though, pull a code so you don't end up spending money on parts you don't need.