YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Tranny cooler? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/tranny-cooler-91472/)

stangman39 08-01-2006 01:05 PM

Tranny cooler?

I've pulled a few times (no long distances..maybe 5 miles at a time...) my double trailer w/2 SeaDoos. Sometimes pull a single trailer w/one ski on it of course!

I have a '00 4Runner Sr5. How can I tell if it has the trans cooler and if not...should I install one for the little towing I do?

Thanks,
Mike

vegaskurt 08-01-2006 01:12 PM

It has a cooler, just not a good one. Toyota uses the bottom section of the radiator for a tranny cooler.

Do a search for hayden 676 or hayden 677. Cheap and easy install.

BajaRunner 08-01-2006 01:12 PM

I think they all came with a stock tranny cooler.

It doesn't hurt to just add another one.

mt_goat 08-01-2006 01:14 PM

I would and did, and I don't even have a trailer. You should have a factory ATF cooler in your radiator, but that's not enough IMHO. Heat kills auto trannies, the cooler it is the longer it lasts. Just putting a cooler thermostat in would help some since the ATF is cooled by the radiator.

stangman39 08-01-2006 02:19 PM

Thanks for all the info.
I'll look into adding an additional one.

Mike

Knuckles 08-01-2006 02:31 PM

i got the TRD transmisson cooler, it easy to install and it just mounts to factory bolts, no zip ties. but of course it cost me alot.

frodin1 08-02-2006 07:41 AM

Hayden 678 $55 bucks on ebay.Two day shipping.

04 Rocko Taco 08-02-2006 08:00 AM

Any thoughts on comparison, pros/cons between the TRD cooler and the Hayden cooler? the prospect of using the factory bolts, and knowing its a factory peice has its great things, but money is a downfall, what else?

mt_goat 08-02-2006 08:17 AM

I like these: http://www.importperformancetrans.com/coolers.shtml

BTW they can be found cheaper on e-bay too.

UNR.Grad 08-02-2006 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
Any thoughts on comparison, pros/cons between the TRD cooler and the Hayden cooler? the prospect of using the factory bolts, and knowing its a factory peice has its great things, but money is a downfall, what else?

Try searching you will see it is the SAME cooler.

Epic Ed 08-02-2006 09:28 AM

I bought a TruCool and have been very happy with it. Some good info here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...=tranny+cooler

Ed

saulgoode 08-02-2006 09:50 AM

I've read great things about the hayden cooler here, but the only thing I didn't was it has the plastic ziptie looking thingies that you can mount thru the radiator, but I didn't feel that it would be secure and just didn't like that either, so I got some 1/4 in. thick aluminum, cut some 3in strips and used that to mount the cooler to the metal piece in front of the radiator. Very secure now.

mt_goat 08-02-2006 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by saulgoode
I've read great things about the hayden cooler here, but the only thing I didn't was it has the plastic ziptie looking thingies that you can mount thru the radiator, but I didn't feel that it would be secure and just didn't like that either, so I got some 1/4 in. thick aluminum, cut some 3in strips and used that to mount the cooler to the metal piece in front of the radiator. Very secure now.

I agree, the Tru-cool comes with much better mounting hardware than the Hayden.

MTL_4runner 08-02-2006 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by saulgoode

I used the zip ties.....no issues here as long as you use the foam isolators too.
I might have been nicer to hard mount it, but I didn't.

vegaskurt 08-02-2006 11:41 AM

The 677 I got off ebay came with metal mounting tabs/strips as well as the plastic ties. I used the metal strips, a few bolts and some loctite, its not going anywhere.

The plastic ties got used a week later on my civic :)

ZUK 08-02-2006 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by stangman39
I've pulled a few times (no long distances..maybe 5 miles at a time...) my double trailer w/2 SeaDoos. Sometimes pull a single trailer w/one ski on it of course!

I have a '00 4Runner Sr5. How can I tell if it has the trans cooler and if not...should I install one for the little towing I do?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike- Doesn't sound like you need one.....even if you get an extra cooler you wouldn't really know how effective it is ...unless you have a tranny temp gauge to reference. So maybe the first thing you should consider is a temp gauge and watch it while towing. Driving "blind" without would makes me nervous without a gauge.
I recently installed a temp gauge and have noticed that on the highway at 80 mph that the temp stabilizes at 170 in my 2001 Taco. This is very acceptable for auto trannys but I want COOLER....When the weather cools, I will add the Hayden cooler behind the grill and see the improvement it actually makes. I have not towed with it yet so I don't know if the mild load of 2 SeaDoos will change it much.

frodin1 08-02-2006 08:43 PM

I think it was Transdude that said it on here,"it's never to late to add a cooler".

BRYANINTEXAS 08-05-2006 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco

9 out of 10 times, the TRD items are re-badged/packaged parts. (TRD air filter/K&N; TRD shocks/Bilsteins; TRD springs/Eibach; etc.... )

UNR.Grad 08-06-2006 12:28 AM

Yep some people get TRD kits with hayden labled coolers.

mt_goat 08-06-2006 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by frodin1
I think it was Transdude that said it on here,"it's never to late to add a cooler".

Speaking of Transdude, notice what brand of cooler he recommends: http://www.importperformancetrans.com/coolers.shtml

Better than TRD/Hayden at cooling and less restriction/pressure drop for the ATF flow through the cooler, win-win.

SEAN_at_TLT 02-12-2007 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat (Post 960690)
Speaking of Transdude, notice what brand of cooler he recommends: http://www.importperformancetrans.com/coolers.shtml

Better than TRD/Hayden at cooling and less restriction/pressure drop for the ATF flow through the cooler, win-win.

What size of these is best suited for a 3rd gen 4runner?

JHRRLD 02-12-2007 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT (Post 50428744)

I installed the 4454 one and it fit nicely...

MTL_4runner 02-12-2007 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT (Post 50428744)

As with any cooler, the larger the better, but anything 18,000 GVW and above should do the job.
The 14.5k GVW cooler is just a little too small IMHO.

jjrgr21 02-12-2007 10:49 AM

i have the hayden 676, it was easy to install and alot cheaper than the TRD, just make sure you use transmission fluid line and not fuel line, the fuel line will soften and crack. i didn't feel mine came with enough line to do the whole thing, and tranny line is $$, but worth it, to do it right.

SEAN_at_TLT 02-12-2007 11:52 AM

Thanks guys, I just ordered the 18,000. I also ordered their Valve Body upgrade to go with the URD kit I'm putting in next week along with a freshly factory rebuilt supercharger. Should be fun!

mkgarrison5 02-12-2007 11:54 AM

what about 2002 3.4 4x4 tacomas?? autmatic extracab. do they have a tranny cooler?

jjrgr21 02-12-2007 11:56 AM

they use the radiator like all the others except the tundra with tow package, the hayden 676 will work, thats what i have on my 03 taco auto

mt_goat 02-12-2007 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT (Post 50428845)
Thanks guys, I just ordered the 18,000. I also ordered their Valve Body upgrade to go with the URD kit I'm putting in next week along with a freshly factory rebuilt supercharger. Should be fun!

This may help with the VB R&R:
http://members.cox.net/mgriese5/Level10.html

Good luck Sean

AppleJack 08-14-2007 04:13 AM

I just put in my Hayden T/C last night and found that it was beneficial to remove the bumper and not just the grill. There were a few sharp edges that my lines were resting against after I installed the cooler. It would have been difficult to wrap the lines to protect them with the bumper on. It's only 10 extra minutes or 5 if you have a helper, but it saves you from fumbling around blindly.:nerd: