Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

toyota diesel conversion finished

Old 06-28-2003, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyota diesel conversion finished

Here are some pictures of my turbo diesel conversion. It's a toyota 2L-T turbo diesel 2.4L 4 cylinder.I get like 30mpg average. My html is off so it looks like I cant post it here but I included a link.

http://www.hometown.aol.com/solohant/index.html
Old 06-28-2003, 09:43 AM

Thumbs up great

Thats something Ive never seen. What year is the engine and how did you get the idea?
Old 06-28-2003, 10:01 AM

I think you are going to get a lot of interest and questions about that engine swap... I know some folks here have been lusting after a diesel.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

i would kill for 30 mpg!...lucky
Old 06-28-2003, 12:46 PM

diesel

Well, I have always been in love with the economy and torque of the diesel engine but have never cared for any of the cars that are produced with a diesel in them stock. I learned from www.sr5.net that toyota made a turbo diesel in the light trucks and imported them into the US during the 1980's and continued to produce them all over the world to this day. I did some heavy research and learned that the 2L-T 2446 cc inline 4 cylinder IDI turbo diesel was a direct bolt on to my 1993 4x4 single cab frame. Not only was it bolt on, but the w56 transmission (which is used in the trucks and 4-runners from roughly 1988-1995) has a removable bellhousing which allowed me to get ahold of a diesel bellhousing and bolt it up to my trans. Fortunately I did not have to lenghten or shorten my driveshafts or any drivetrain components whatsoever. The wiring was as easy as hooking up a single wire to my fuel cut solenoid to allow fuel to enter my injection pump and when the key is turned off, the fuel cut solenoid closes stopping the engine. As I am a perfectionist, I got ahold of a fuel filler neck from toyota and even the "diesel only" sticker which accompanies the filler neck. It appears totally stock and everything functions flawlessly. I have had people run up to me at the gas station yelling and screaming that I'm putting diesel into my truck as if I am a moron. Only to see their jaws drop when I pop the hood and show them. The power output I would guess is somewhere in between the 22re and the 3VZE. But the economy is incredible. I'll bet even more so once I regear to a 4:88 ratio. This engine does not even sound like a diesel. I remarkable sounds like a smoother running 22re. If you have any specifics about the swap let me know. I think the hardest part of the entire conversion was making everything appear stock. The actual engine trans swap was easy and required no fab work at all. I bought my engine from a JCM importer called ASAP motors in Houston, TX for $1800 with shipping. The pictures I posted were a few weeks ago when it was just being driveable. Since then I have tweeked the injection pump timing and added an intercooler from a TDI VW. I also have hooked up my glow plugs with the timers and relays and wired them up to where in my instrument cluster the check engine light comes on when the glow plugs cycle and turns off when they are off. Pretty cool huh??
Old 06-28-2003, 02:15 PM

What you need is the 3.0 ltr TD Intercooler , you see loads of them in Japan , not sure if it's possible but you could get a front end cut from a wreck and get it shipped to the US , they have loads of power and 25-28mpg .
Attached Thumbnails toyota diesel conversion finished-3.0-td.jpg  
Old 06-28-2003, 02:20 PM

diesel

I looked into getting the 2.8L 3-L engine but they were around $3500 USD by the time I got it shipped etc. The 3.0L 5-L engine is even better but cost was unfortunately an issue. I like that intercooler though. I wonder where I could get my hands on one of those???
Old 06-30-2003, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Too bad it's a 1 gen 2LT. They really lack power.
Newer, more powerfull 2 gen 2LT's run a lot smoother. I just fitted a friends landcruiser 2LT with a large intercooler and adjusted the wastegate to 0.8 bar. That gave him like 30% more power for a few hunderd bucks (350 to be exact). And an improvement in fuel consumption at higher speeds and heavier loads! Go figure..
In Europe 95% off all toyota's Landcruisers or Hilux are diesels, so if you need parts or engines.....
Here's a pick of an original yota 2LT setup:
Attached Thumbnails toyota diesel conversion finished-2lt.jpg  
Old 06-30-2003, 01:51 PM

2L-T

The later versions of the 2L-T, the 2LII-T are very hard to come by here in the states. The 2L-T I have worked really so far and I have been really impressed with it.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Too bad you paid such a steep price. In Europe a 2LT 2 gen goes for the same price as a 3L (if available), that's about 1800-1900 USD. A 1 gen 2LT goes for 500-700 USD. You can find these engines everywhere, but not one single 3.0 or 3.4 V6. Things are quit the opposite overhere.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:05 PM

I personally wouldnt give a bucket of piss for a 3.0v6. They're slow and bad on gas and have a knack for having continuous problems. I had a 94 toyota truck with a 3.0 v6 and 5 speed. It had a strange ticking and I took it to every shop in town including a couple of dealers and they all said there was nothing wrong with it. I envy all the europeans with their diesel technology. You guys are 10 years ahead of the USA as far as clean diesel technology. Therefore your market sees a larger share of diesels manufactured for Europe.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Your absolutely right about the 3.0 V6. I allways had problems, two blown headgaskets (no cause found), a molten piston, a broken ignitor. Not to mention the horrific milage. And gas is a lot more expensive in Holland than in the US. In fact it is the most expensive of Europe.
That's why I did the supra swap. I now have 54 hp more and about 20% better fuel economy. The reason I drive gas now, is because I like fast driving and got bored with driving toyota diesels for 15 years. Still wish I had the torque and fuel economy of the diesel back. Maybe I'll get me a 3.0 turbo intercooler one of these days. My friend has got a landcruiser with that engine and he is fast! A top of 125 mph with an auto tranny, and a torque that is unbelieveble. And better economy and diesel costs 2/3 of gas.
Maybe I will win a lotery one of these days.... :pat:
Old 07-01-2003, 05:54 PM

Well I for one am jealous. I would go with one of the other diesels mentioned but just having it gives you lots of bragging rights. What gearing do you have now?
Old 07-01-2003, 05:56 PM

gearing

stock gearing of 4:10 but I am planning on running 4:88 in the near future
Old 07-01-2003, 06:07 PM

That is great!!

I wouldn't want to give up all my research for free, but did you happen to find out if there was a swap for an 87' 4runner with the 4 cylinder?

Seriously, I love deisels and would give up beer and maybe girls... maybe for a short time to swap one into my rig.

Nice job!!

Last edited by Erich_870; 07-01-2003 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:39 PM

diesel conversion

I will be selling mine in a few months. I put it on ebay for awhile and got zero bids. A bunch of emails though. You can easily put one in your rig. Just look under your truck at the bellhousing of the trans and see if it's removable. If it is, then you're in luck. You can email me at: solohant@aol.com if you have any other questions. Todd
Old 07-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Contributing Member

Go for the 1KZTE 3.0L Diesel, It's a much better engine.

Mine has a 2LTE (Electronic Fuel Injection version of the 2LT).

The 2LII is fitted in later Hilux Pickups in Europe.

Alternatively if you got the money, go for the late model D4D Direct injection 2.4 in the latest Pickups.

Cheers
Old 07-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Banned

Sounds like you have the mechanical stuff figured out.

What about the legal stuff. My understanding is that if you are subject to emitions testing, you will deffinatly not pass. A guy on Pirate 4x4 from California put a Toyota TD into a Samauri but will not explain how its registered or inspected.

I've started looking into buying a salvage title for an early 80's Diesel Isuzu P'up so I can go Diesel without having to be inspected by CDOT, the EPA or whatever other agencies are out there that want my money. An Isuzu frame and title with a Toyota TD motor, driveline, crawler, axles, etc. would make the ultimate daily driver/ rock crawler without cutting through a ton of red tape and having lots of inspection headaches.

So, does the local, county, state and federal government know about this swap?
Old 07-02-2003, 10:29 AM

Matt from what I remember about the title swaps you are on the right track. I am going by NJ DMV standards which are most likely stricter then here in CO.

Try to avoid the salvage titles because they examine them closely. Nothing is easier then getting a salvage title and stealing a bunch of parts and making a whole car. They check these things closely.

I had to jump through hoops and document every single piece I replaced on my 4Runner to make it legal.

If the title is clean and the number from the frame match the paperwork it is easier.

I used to build kit cars with donor chassis and inspection was always fun when the title said Fiero but the car looked like a Lamborghini, or a VW Beetle had a tube frame underneith and a Corvette motor sitting where the back seat should be and they are trying to use 4cyl emmisions tests.

Normally you have to pass emissions of what year/vehicle the title says.
:beaver:

Last edited by Beavah; 07-02-2003 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:18 PM

emissions

In texas, there are no emissions tests. Also, most states have no emissions tests if it's a diesel because they are not required to have a catalytic converter. If you are swapping a v8 gas engine where there used to be a 4 cylinder, then you will have to pass an emissions test of some kind to get it inspected. But even for gas cars, I have never had to do an emissions test on any of my cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: toyota diesel conversion finished