YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Torsion Bar HELP! I cant find a set ANYWHERE! (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/torsion-bar-help-i-cant-find-set-anywhere-33522/)

Ilovemountains 05-27-2004 12:58 PM

Torsion Bar HELP! I cant find a set ANYWHERE!

Hi guys, I just ordered a set of Downey rear 2" lift springs and want to replace my stock front torsion bars also. I have read that the Downey 26mm are really harsh that since I still drive 65% on road to go with the Sway Away 25mm. I cant find any one that sells them! I did find a place that sells Rancho torsion bars but they didnt know how they ride, they only know they are "heavy duty" what ever that is suposed to mean! Do you happen to know where I can buy a set of torsion bars for a decent price? Please email me back, Mbernazzoli@hotmail.com or reply to my post here if you can help. Thanks, Mat

Ilovemountains 05-27-2004 01:18 PM

I just found a set at Performance!

Never mind, I just got a set from Performance for $109 plus shipping! Sweeeet Deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cebby 05-27-2004 01:23 PM

You should have gotten the balljoint spacers instead...

914runner 05-27-2004 02:25 PM

from what I have read these do not add any lift. You can crank them like the stock torsions. they are meant for use with heavy front bumpers with winches, ect. Since you have these, I would get the ball joint spacers and I believe that they owuld help to soften the ride back down.

Ilovemountains 05-27-2004 03:01 PM

ball joint spacers?

so do you think I should cancell the order for the torsion bars, keep my stock ones and buy a set of ball joint spacers? Please let me know asap so I can call Performance!

Corey 05-27-2004 05:17 PM

Do not use SAW T bars unless you have an aftermarket bumper like an ARB or TJM with a winch.

It will ride like a brick shiest house.

Mine rides great because I have 150 lb of bumper & winch up there.

motrhedx81 05-28-2004 04:31 AM

If you plan on putting heavy stuff on the front end, you might as well go ahead and get em. But if you don't like riding in a truck that feels like a spring board don't get em. I've got the Downey's and like em, to me its funny gettin bounced all over the place; makes it feel like a real truck. A truck should ride like a truck and not like a car. But thats me and I'm weird, so....

I'd get the spacers to match the rear lift. This way you don't put as much stress on your cv's by crankin the t-bars very high. You might still have to crank the t-bars a little, not sure.

Robinhood150 05-28-2004 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by motrhedx81
I'd get the spacers to match the rear lift. This way you don't put as much stress on your cv's by crankin the t-bars very high. You might still have to crank the t-bars a little, not sure.

Whether you raise the front by cranking the tbars or by using the spacers, the CV will be at the same angle.

motrhedx81 05-28-2004 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Whether you raise the front by cranking the tbars or by using the spacers, the CV will be at the same angle.

Oh. From what i've been reading, I understood that the spacers were supposed to keep from changing your cv angle. But now that I think about it, you're right, its gonna raise it no matter either way you go. :pat:

But the cranking the t-bars gives your a harsher ride, right? Thats what the spacers are supposed to help with?

Robinhood150 05-28-2004 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by motrhedx81
But the cranking the t-bars gives your a harsher ride, right? Thats what the spacers are supposed to help with?

Correct.