Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Took Throttle Body off and now symptoms of a bad head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took Throttle Body off and now symptoms of a bad head gasket

after it ran for a few minutes with the correct hoses hooked up.
I took my throttle body off last night to clean it and while putting it back together on the intake plenum I plugged the coolant hose into the vacuum part of the TB on accident. Now I have milky oil and white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I drained the oil and let it sit over night. Today I changed the oil twice and did a coolant system flush, the oil cap isnt that bad and the truck isnt over heating nor loosing coolant. It drives perfectly fine but there is still clouds of white smoke. Does anyone have any ideas? second oil change and cooling flush while under load
After driving around with the second oil change and coolant flush

Idling after second oil change and coolant flush

Last edited by ToyOverland1; 12-26-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
What's the temperature there?
Are you sure it's not just normal cold temp exhaust?

There could still be a bit of coolant in the intake manifold.
Lucky you didn't hydrolock the thing.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Marc
What's the temperature there?
Are you sure it's not just normal cold temp exhaust?

There could still be a bit of coolant in the intake manifold.
Lucky you didn't hydrolock the thing.
I am pretty sure, when I accelerate it has a huge cloud of white smoke. And should I remove the manifold and clean it? I just don't understand how there could still be some left especially since I flushed it
Old 12-26-2016, 05:59 PM

Coolant hose incorrectly installed

I have just reinstalled my throttle body and have everything connected where it appears to connect (and where my markings show) but now have a hose coming from the below that carries coolant and nowhere to plug it in. Is there a diagram somewhere that shows where that coolant hose goes? It points directly at the throttle body.

thanks,

Brad
Old 12-26-2016, 06:01 PM

Pardon, my reply was to ToyOverland1 as it appears that you're working in the same area. I have a 98 4Runner 5VZ-FE.

thanks guys.

Brad
Old 12-26-2016, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by churchill
I have just reinstalled my throttle body and have everything connected where it appears to connect (and where my markings show) but now have a hose coming from the below that carries coolant and nowhere to plug it in. Is there a diagram somewhere that shows where that coolant hose goes? It points directly at the throttle body.

thanks,

Brad
is it on the right side or the left? from standing on the side of the passenger side fender
Old 12-26-2016, 09:46 PM

Coolant hose

It comes up between engine & firewall nearly at exact middle of car. Curves toward passenger side and contains coolant. The port under the rubbery black cover (pointing straight down) is the only open port I have for the coolant hose and it won't reach. Must have a wrong connection elsewhere too.
Hoe comes up from block next to firewall and nearly in middle of car pointing toward passenger side.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

There are two coolant hoses going to the IAC valve did you get those hooked up correct??

These are the only two coolant hoses you need to disconnect to remove the throttle body

The only two with clamps the vacuum hoses just slide on
Old 12-27-2016, 07:40 AM

Wyoming9,

I spent 2 hours last night failing to find a throttle body diagram so not sure if I've got IAC hooked up correctly. There are 2 male connections facing the firewall & fairly close together. I've installed the "clamped" hose to the top connector.

does anyone have a body diagram? I found references to them in other threads but all broken.

Brad
Old 12-29-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Wyoming9,

I spent 2 hours last night failing to find a throttle body diagram so not sure if I've got IAC hooked up correctly. There are 2 male connections facing the firewall & fairly close together. I've installed the "clamped" hose to the top connector.

does anyone have a body diagram? I found references to them in other threads but all broken.

Brad
the guides on autozones website are a good source for diagrams..

Old 12-29-2016, 10:19 AM

CO_94_PU,

Thank you. In the mean time I managed to cross connect coolant & air hoses and flooded the cylinders with coolant. Surrendered. It's at the shop. Bummer. But when I get it back it'll have a new radiator, new valve cover gaskets, water pump & timing belt. Currently have 285k on the odo and this should give it another 100k. Viva la 4Runner!

thanks again,

Brad
Old 12-30-2016, 04:27 AM

CO_94_PU,

Thank you. In the mean time I managed to cross connect coolant & air hoses and flooded the cylinders with coolant. Surrendered. It's at the shop. Bummer. But when I get it back it'll have a new radiator, new valve cover gaskets, water pump & timing belt. Currently have 285k on the odo and this should give it another 100k. Viva la 4Runner!

thanks again,

Brad
That is a bummer! Hope all works out and you get her back on the road for another 100.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:36 PM

White smoke and milky oil.

Originally Posted by ToyOverland1
I took my throttle body off last night to clean it and while putting it back together on the intake plenum I plugged the coolant hose into the vacuum part of the TB on accident. Now I have milky oil and white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I drained the oil and let it sit over night. Today I changed the oil twice and did a coolant system flush, the oil cap isnt that bad and the truck isnt over heating nor loosing coolant. It drives perfectly fine but there is still clouds of white smoke. Does anyone have any ideas? second oil change and cooling flush while under load

sounds like a blown head gasket goodluck friend
Old 02-07-2021, 05:37 PM

White smoke and milky oil.

Originally Posted by ToyOverland1

sounds like a blown head gasket goodluck friend
Old 02-08-2021, 08:07 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
This is an old dead thread, but Actually it looks like he switched the coolant lines for the IAC on the throttle body for the IAC to intake vacuum air assist line pumping rad fluid into the intake, he could have hydrolocked it now though.. Note his first sentence, "I took the TB off", no way would this cause a head gasket to leak, but the air assist and coolant line for the IAC is about an inch apart and easy to swap if you didn't pay attention
Old 03-19-2021, 05:15 PM

That probably happened to me too...

[QUOTE=Malcolm99;52458318]This is an old dead thread, but Actually it looks like he switched the coolant lines for the IAC on the throttle body for the IAC to intake vacuum air assist line pumping rad fluid into the intake, he could have hydrolocked it now though.. Note his first sentence, "I took the TB off", no way would this cause a head gasket to leak, but the air assist and coolant line for the IAC is about an inch apart and easy to swap if you didn't pay attention[/QU
That probably happened to me too whole working on my '99 Tundta. So how can I fix the hydrolock problem? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 03-19-2021, 08:00 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
[QUOTE=Cordt Steinsiek;52460706]
Originally Posted by Malcolm99
This is an old dead thread, but Actually it looks like he switched the coolant lines for the IAC on the throttle body for the IAC to intake vacuum air assist line pumping rad fluid into the intake, he could have hydrolocked it now though.. Note his first sentence, "I took the TB off", no way would this cause a head gasket to leak, but the air assist and coolant line for the IAC is about an inch apart and easy to swap if you didn't pay attention[/QU
That probably happened to me too whole working on my '99 Tundta. So how can I fix the hydrolock problem? Any advice would be much appreciated!
hydrolock is when you have fluid in your cylinders that can’t be compressed and the motor stops turning. If this happens while the engine was running it generally results in bent valves and connecting rods. If it happens while you’re trying to start the motor it usually just stops spinning and the starter can’t overcome it and gives out.

you can start by pulling all the spark plugs and seeing if the motor frees up and turns over. Next try running the starter while the spark plugs are out to push out any fluid. Then put the spark plugs back in, cross your fingers, say a prayer, kiss a baby and hope it starts and you didn’t bend anything internally.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:44 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
I'm aware of what hydrolock means, the discussion was concerning a head gasket leak after removing a TB, if you switch the rad fluid line for the IAC with the IAC vacuum line for the IAC you will hydrolock a engine with rad fluid, he had the TB off and it is likely he switched the line upon reinstallation since they are the same ID and the ports are 1" apart "Hydrolock occurs when a volume of liquid greater than the volume of the cylinder at its minimum (end of the piston's stroke) enters the cylinder. Since liquids are nearly incompressible the piston cannot complete its travel; either the engine must stop rotating or a mechanical failure must occur." rad fluid in any cylinder can cause this, even a leaky head gasket that leaks down when parked,