Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TJM T-17 install pics and info

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up TJM T-17 install pics and info

I finally uploaded the pics from my TJM install a month ago. I have a lot more pics of the frame mounts, the TJM bumper mounts, the inside of the bumper, etc. If anyone is interested just let me know.

I took measurements of the old bumper before I removed it to compare with the TJM. Here's what the TJM will do for you (Keep in mind these measurements include the 2.25" of lift that I have):

2000 4Runner Stock Bumper
----------------------
51 lbs. = stock bumper and impact bar
7.5" = distance from center of grill to point on bumper that sticks out the farthest
20" = distance from lowest point of bumper to the ground (since the lower valence on the bumper is level, this hight is for all points on the bumper.

TJM T-17 Bumper
--------------
63 lbs. = TJM T-17 bumper and mounts
4.25" = distance from center of grill to point on bumper that sticks out the farthest
22" = distance from lowest point of bumper to ground
26.25" = distance from point on bumper that sticks out the farthest to the ground
26" = distance from bumper to ground at the wheels

Based on rough calculations, this bumper increased my approach angle by about 10 degrees.

Last edited by 00Runner; 10-13-2005 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 00Runner
That figure doesn't sound at all right, but I'll take your word for it. You sure it's not more like 20, or so? Both of those items are extremely light. If that figure is correct, then it sure throws me for a loop. It's nice that you took the time to weigh both bumpers, for curiosity's sake.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:19 PM

Here's info from an outdoorwire post regarding tjm t17 install weight on a 99 4Runner.
"tjm-17 with brackets and bolts came out to 67-68 pounds.
Stock bumper (and crush tube) worked out to 42-43 pounds.
Looks like the tjm T17 only added about 25 pounds"

And with regards to the approach angle, the TJM bumper no longer limits the absolute approach angle. The frame where the tjm brackets attach is now the limiting factor (though those can easily be avoided with some driver skill).

Last edited by 3.4Runner; 04-22-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:59 PM

I did not weigh mine but I can tell you that my suspension did not move even a 1/16" when I swapped to the TJM. This was with OME 891's and "C" shocks. I thought for sure this bumper would compress the suspension, at least a little bit. No winch though.
Mike

Excellent post with good intel by the way. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, i'm surprised the bumpers weigh so close to one another. If that's the case in fact, I wouldn't mind going ahead with a TJM before upgrading the suspension. Did you ACTUALLY WEIGH the materials? Good specs by the way, that's a great reference.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Darren
That figure doesn't sound at all right, but I'll take your word for it. You sure it's not more like 20, or so? Both of those items are extremely light. If that figure is correct, then it sure throws me for a loop. It's nice that you took the time to weigh both bumpers, for curiosity's sake.
Since there is some question, I weighed the items again and added the pictures to the link. This second time around you can see that the impact bar weighs about 14 lbs. and the bumper weighs about 35 lbs. So this measurement comes out to about 49 lbs. Granted I'm using a bathroom scale so these aren't the most precise measurements, but still pretty close.

One of the reasons that I went with the T17 is weight. I wanted to keep the weight down as much as possible so I was curious of the comparison between this bumper and my stock bumper.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by goldtaco9
I did not weigh mine but I can tell you that my suspension did not move even a 1/16" when I swapped to the TJM. This was with OME 891's and "C" shocks. I thought for sure this bumper would compress the suspension, at least a little bit. No winch though.
Mike

Excellent post with good intel by the way. Thanks.
Thanks. I'm hoping that my suspension won't sag either. There has been no change yet, but we'll see after another month or two. This was definately a consideration in choosing the T17 over the T15 or ARB.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by My99
Wow, i'm surprised the bumpers weigh so close to one another. If that's the case in fact, I wouldn't mind going ahead with a TJM before upgrading the suspension. Did you ACTUALLY WEIGH the materials? Good specs by the way, that's a great reference.
I did actually weigh the bumpers. I've added pics of the weighing of the stock bumper. I don't have any pics of the TJM and since it's currently mounted to my truck I can't take any right now. I'll have to take the bumper off to access the front body mounts when I install my body lift. I'll take pics of the TJM weight then and update the pics link.

I think that this is definately a mod you could do before any suspension upgrades. I'm not expecting that it will alter the ride height of the truck in the front at all. I'm glad the specs were helpful.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:58 PM

Hey Brad, I see you live in Menlo park, I live in EPA, but not the ghetto part. Really...there is a non ghetto part. Anyways I wanted to ask if the bumper install was pretty much plug and play? Did you need to hammer anything or weld anything. I also have a 1996, so there might be some bumper issues.

thanks for any Feedback.

Joe
Old 04-26-2004, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Joe,

The bumper install was cake. Completely plug and play.

- Unbolt stock bumper
- Unbolt stock impact bar
- Bolt TJM mounts to stock bumper mounting points
- Bolt TJM bumper to TJM bumper mounts

That's it. Not sure if anything is different for a '96. If there is then I would guess that TJM would have different mounting brackets that are a direct bolt on for that year.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:30 AM

Hey Brad

Were you on the 101 Northbound yesterday around 1-2PM? I think I saw you and you looked back at me. I had a blue Klein mtn bike on the room in a black limited. It was weird, I saw at least 3-4 modified 3rd gens on the road yesterday.

I am sure it was your ride.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply and have a good one.

Joe
Old 04-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

I like it! I need one bad. How much did you get it for shipped if you dont mind me asking?
Old 04-27-2004, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
Were you on the 101 Northbound yesterday around 1-2PM?
Nope, sorry. My truck was sitting in the parking lot at work.

It was weird, I saw at least 3-4 modified 3rd gens on the road yesterday.
That's crazy. I hardly ever see modified 3rd gens in the bay area. I see Tacos now and then, but hardly ever a 4runner.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I like it! I need one bad. How much did you get it for shipped if you dont mind me asking?
Thanks! I got it for $500 shipped. The shipping was the killer - $130! I got the bumper from Mike right before the group buy ended. I've never seen a price as low as his and I know that TJM has raised their prices now. The next best price that I saw was 4x4connection. They were having a $75 shipping deal which would have saved me some $$ but I was "out of their area" .

Anyway, the bumper rocks! You gotta get one.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:34 AM

Nope, sorry. My truck was sitting in the parking lot at work.

That's crazy. I hardly ever see modified 3rd gens in the bay area. I see Tacos now and then, but hardly ever a 4runner.

When I said Yesterday, it was Monday, so what I meant was Sunday Afternoon at around 1:00PM

I am sure it was yours. Black/TJM and right near the Embarcadero exit on the 101 N. bound.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

When I said Yesterday, it was Monday, so what I meant was Sunday Afternoon at around 1:00PM

I am sure it was yours. Black/TJM and right near the Embarcadero exit on the 101 N. bound.
Correction, yep that was me. Sorry, I didn't check the date on your post. I was on my way home from camping at the Pismo dunes. I think I do recall seeing a runner with a bike on top.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good runner! I recently installed the T-15. Looks much burlier than the stocker.

For future measurements, weigh yourself on the scale first, then get on with the item you want to weigh, and subtract your weight. This will yield more accurate results.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Birdman
Looking good runner! I recently installed the T-15. Looks much burlier than the stocker.

For future measurements, weigh yourself on the scale first, then get on with the item you want to weigh, and subtract your weight. This will yield more accurate results.
Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll take some more measurements. Any idea how much the T-15 weighs? I'd be interested to know the difference. Have you had any sagging since you put your bumper on?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:50 PM

Is this the steel or aluminum? Do you know the weight difference?

I finally uploaded the pics from my TJM install a month ago. You can check out the pics here. I have a lot more pics of the frame mounts, the TJM bumper mounts, the inside of the bumper, etc. If anyone is interested just let me know.

I took measurements of the old bumper before I removed it to compare with the TJM. Here's what the TJM will do for you (Keep in mind these measurements include the 2.25" of lift that I have):

2000 4Runner Stock Bumper
----------------------
7.5" = distance from center of grill to point on bumper that sticks out the farthest
20" = distance from lowest point of bumper to the ground (since the lower valence on the bumper is level, this hight is for all points on the bumper.

TJM T-17 Bumper
--------------
63 lbs. = TJM T-17 bumper and mounts
4.25" = distance from center of grill to point on bumper that sticks out the farthest
22" = distance from lowest point of bumper to ground
26.25" = distance from point on bumper that sticks out the farthest to the ground
26" = distance from bumper to ground at the wheels

Based on rough calculations, this bumper increased my approach angle by about 10 degrees.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

The bumper is steel. The weight difference is only 10-15 lbs. between the stock bumper and the T-17.

Quick Reply: TJM T-17 install pics and info