Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Time for New Brakes...Got a Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for New Brakes...Got a Couple Questions

I've got 105,000 miles on my truck and I've never done anything to the brakes. I've had them inspected very regularly, and so far so good. I'm still not getting any grinding, but I figure it's time to change them. I'd like to go OEM (unless ya'll can recommend something better) and buy them online from either Toyotaparts4u.com or Partznet.com (Conicelli Toyota's online store). I'm not sure what to order. Do I need...

1. Front pads and rear pads or
2. Front pads and rear shoes

If someone's got a second, please explain the different components to me. I'll probably also have the rotors turned since I'm getting some vibration when I brake, even after the wheels were balanced. Thanks guys. Later.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:30 PM

I don't know too much about how to do it, but I wouldn't change the brakes unless they really need to be changed.
Lots of people have issues with warped rotors and turning them only helps for a while before the warping returns. From what I have seen here most stay with OEM rotors and pads (Front), but quite a few get new rotors from Brembo (sold by tirerack an others) and performance pads.
The front pads usually wear much faster than the rear (drums) and you probably can wait with changing the rear brakeparts. Anyhow, whoever checks your brakes should let you know how much you have left and whether they are still op to specs.
I hope someone more mechanically inclined can add to this.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:16 PM

Don't. I repeat Don't turn the rotors! Once they start giving you the steering wheel shimmy they are done. I had mine turned and the shaking actually got worse. Bought brand new (quality) rotors and smooth as silk.

You'll need new front pads. Rear brakes are drums and require shoes. I'm partial to OEM but that's just my .02.

John
Old 08-27-2004, 06:24 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
1) I had the same sentiments about having a lot of mileage on a set of brakes when I had my first Toyota. At 150,000 miles I was told by the dealer (and at 75,000 and at 110,000 and at 130,000 also) that I didn't need brakes. I went nose-to-nose with the service manager, with me insisting that I NEEDED brakes. He flat-out refused to put new brakes on the car simply because I thought they needed to be replaced. He refused to do work he considered uneccesary. He was correct and I've since had equivalent brake longevity on numerous Toyotas.

2) To contradict myself, I just replaced my rotors and brake pads on my 4Runner at 65,000 miles. The Toyota rotors were warped (again) and I installed Brembo OEM replacement (standard, non-drilled or slotted) rotors and Performance Friction pads. My reason for replacing the pads (which my mechanic buddy told me the old pads looked practically new) was that I wasn't happy with the original pads fading under hard braking and while towing.

So, I would suggest leaving the pads be and putting Brembo (or other) rotors on. The concensus is that they hold up better than the Toyota rotors. If you MUST change pads, do it because you're not happy with their performance, not because of how many miles you have on them. Save a buck...

My rear drum brakes have held up as well.

Last edited by Rick F.; 08-27-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

I agree, change them when a change is needed. I went with PF pads, and Autozone rotors with a one year warranty. Total cost shipped was about $160. 2K miles later, all is good.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I'm getting my new set of Dueler Revos put on today, so I'm going to make sure that they inspect the brakes and the rotors when they have the tires off. I've been a very loyal customer at this place so I know they'll shoot me straight and not tell me that they need to be changed if they don't need it (brakes or rotors). I've got a hunch that the combination of a bad balancing last time and the fact that my front end is out of alignment a pretty good bit right now might be what's giving me the occasional shimmy when I brake. I'll post some pics of the new tires when I get my brush guard back from Andy and get it put on and the truck cleaned up. Thanks guys.

Matt