Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Swap 1998 4Runner Radio Bezel with 1999 Bezel

Old 12-07-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Times have been very busy. I now have a chance to work on this bezel swap in the winter months. Ritzy have you been successful in this swap? Did you find blarchitects diagrams or do you have your own?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 AM

I did this in March. Got the rear window and hazards wired up, but still need to know how to wire up the ECT switch and back lighting. I could care less about the defroster.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 AM

Well if you don't need the defog that's great. I'm in Canada, definetely need the defogger (de-icer)

@ Midget96, Do you have any wiring info to al least start me off.

Maybe Ritzy will have the defog info

Thanks

Last edited by Jayota; 12-08-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:51 PM

Here you go. No pictures, sorry, but you get the text!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:17 PM

archive.org saves the day!! thanks for posting that. still cant believe the guy deletes his posts. that site is a good laugh lookin at my old websites
Old 12-23-2009, 08:01 PM

ok i just bought the 99 bezel is there a solid writeup or do i have to make one as i go.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:41 AM

You can basically piece it together with the the different threads. The only thing is that there si no solid write up for the defrost switch.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:47 AM

I just did this mod this yesterday and am still trying to get everything wired up. It seems you can't really piece anything together anymore looking at the old threads, cause everyone's pics have now been moved or deleted. Anyone who has any info would be much appreciated. I need my hazards and blinkers back asap.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Found my printed out pics. Will continue to try to decipher his write up and later when the weather warms up, I'll give it a go. Picked up a 98' bezel this past weekend with the wiring harness pigtails so I can use it to determine which wires are what and then use it as the test bed for the shift over to the 99'. Hate doing somehting like this and not knowing the exact process. Should save me in the long run, heck, the yard let me have it so I said "thank you very much". I will see what I can do to recover the pics, then will utilize them along with pics I'll take when I sart my own write up.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by ericdg16
I just did this mod this yesterday and am still trying to get everything wired up. It seems you can't really piece anything together anymore looking at the old threads, cause everyone's pics have now been moved or deleted. Anyone who has any info would be much appreciated. I need my hazards and blinkers back asap.
I edited the original posting for inclusion here. For the hazard switch:

The '98 black hazard switch connector (H7) is the exactly the same connector as the '99, BUT the pin outs are different. You will need to rearrange the wires to correspond to the pin outs of the '99. The tricky part is removing the wires from the plug. you will notice a little white panel on the connector. This secondary terminal retainer needs to be gently pryed upward to unlock the pins. Do not remove or over pry this secondary lock or try to move it too high as you will damage or break the retainer. You will only need to raise this about 1/8th of an inch. Use a small jewelers screw driver. Once you have the secondary retainer unlocked, you will need to free the pins from the connector. If you look from the open end of the connector, you will see the pins. Above each pin you will see a small plastic pin lock. Push the pin forward slightly by pushing from the wire side of the connector. Using a very small jewelers screw driver gently lift this retainer piece and simultainously pull the wire out. Do not over pull the wire. If you have disengaged the retainer, the wire will pull right out. If it does not, start over and repeat the process. You will be able to see if you have cleared the pin and then pull it out. You will need to repeat this for the other wires.

Looking at the connector end of H7 with the release tab and two slots on the connector at the top, the pins are numbered, left to right, top to bottom. Starting on the upper left you have two pin locations and then the the 2 slots then two more pin locations. Upper left starts with 1, 2 then after the slots are 3, 4. Bottom row starting on the left 5,6,7,8,9,10. They are the same for both H7 connectors for '98 and '99.

Look closely at the wires for the '98, write them down for reference. The wires we are concerned with will be pins 5,6,7,8,9,10 and should be as follows:
5-GREEN/BLACK
6-GREEN/YELLOW
7-GREEN/RED
8-BLUE/WHITE
9-BLUE/RED
10-RED/BLACK

The first color is the wire, the second color is the stripe

Pin locations for H7 for the '99 hazard switch using the '98 wire colors are as follows:
1-GREEN/BLACK
2-GREEN/YELLOW
4-BLUE/RED
5-GREEN/RED
6-BLUE/WHITE
7-RED/BLACK

To install the pins/wires, just insert the connector into the rear of H7 in the same orientation as you removed it. It must be oriented correctly to the connector so that the retainer clip inside the connecor will snap onto the pin holding it firmly in place. It will not take much force to seat it fully. After you install the pin give it a gentl pull to ensure it is fully seated and locked. Once you have installed all the pins, press the white secondary retainer fully into the connector so it is once again flush. Connect the newly configured connector and test your flashers and turn signals. Everything should be working as it was before. good luck.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:00 AM

Finally got the hazards wired up thanks to ritzy4runner and pdyebrasil.

All in all not that hard of a job, once you figure out how to take apart that connector.
Now I will start working on the rear window switch, hopefully get that done this weekend.

Still looking around for info on the rest of the wiring, so any info anyone has is appreciated.

Last edited by ericdg16; 01-04-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:29 AM

Ritzy4runner....Did you ever figure out how to wire the rear window ect switch?
If not let me know, I have downloaded the wiring diagrams for a '99 model and can email them to you if you think it will help. I am still having trouble deciphering it. Guess I am gonna have to pull everything back apart and see it that helps me understand.

I bought the new C23 connector that someone said to buy, but I am really beginning to think the only way I'm gonna figure this out is to get an already wired harness out of a J/Y
Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Not totally sure and I do have the wiring diagrams for the 99 that I need for most all the connections on the 99. I still am trying to see where everything is supposed to go, but not sure if I need the body ECU that is shown in the 99 diagrams or if I can bypass the ECU and go directly to the connections for the 98 components. Alot of the wires seem to go to the same or similar components but I do not know what the internal wiring scematics for the body ECU and the relay connectors in the 98. Still trying to sort that out. Been raining so I have not been able to really look into the wiring in my truck. More to follow and thanks for the response back

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 01-14-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:49 PM

So I have my dash ripped apart for my swap, and I figure I might as well finish this wiring up.

Anyone have the ECT and back light wiring? I know the defrost is pretty much impossible without way more work than I want to put in to something so trivial.

If anyone needs the rear window, here it is:

96-98 4Runner Harness -> C23 Harness

RED/BLACK -> RED

MINT/BLACK -> RED/BLACK

GREEN/BLACK -> BLUE/WHITE
Old 03-19-2010, 02:37 PM

As for the ECT, I remember one wire coming from the panel that I didn't know what is was for. After testing I figured out it was for the ECT. I will pull my console next week and have a look for you.

I have actually completed to whole 99 bezel swap. I even got the 99+ security light flashing as well when ignition is off. I soldered the defogger switch as shown in this thread HERE. For the hazard switch, I made and adapter using a 98 hazard switch.

If anyone has any question, I try and answer them as best I can.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

Does anyone have a writeup on this mod for the ECT switch, security and passenger air bag lights?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by KZN185W
Hi,

Does anyone have a writeup on this mod for the ECT switch, security and passenger air bag lights?

Thanks!
Two things... 1. this thread is ancient, 2. search

Seriously though, the way to get help is NOT to bump old threads, but to search the forums/other forums for the information you need. Then and ONLY then do you start a new topic.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NickMiller
Two things... 1. this thread is ancient, 2. search

Seriously though, the way to get help is NOT to bump old threads, but to search the forums/other forums for the information you need. Then and ONLY then do you start a new topic.
Where is the wiki page on forum etiquette? You admonish a seasoned member for requesting info in a thread specifically talking about said inquired subject? Sometimes you have to bump an old thread, especially if the thread once had the info but over the years has lost it and needs updating. KZN has been a wealth of info on this forum and for a noob to fly off the handle for asking for info is simply out of bounds. Chill the F out and if you have relevant info to provide, then and ONLY then do you open your pie hole.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
Where is the wiki page on forum etiquette? You admonish a seasoned member for requesting info in a thread specifically talking about said inquired subject? Sometimes you have to bump an old thread, especially if the thread once had the info but over the years has lost it and needs updating. KZN has been a wealth of info on this forum and for a noob to fly off the handle for asking for info is simply out of bounds. Chill the F out and if you have relevant info to provide, then and ONLY then do you open your pie hole.
Pattycakes hit it on the head, this is a very used and important mod thread and it does take a tremendous amount of work to try to figure out mods of the wiring especially when there is so little of it. I know that some who use this site will do mods and don't always post results, it take time and effort to write up a mod , especially if you do it and don't take the time to document it along the way, trust me on this one, unless you start out to WRITE the mod, then it can be difficult if almost impossible to rewrite what you just did. Asking a question like this and this really isn't quite such an "ancient" thread, it does cover many years but thats because no one had a complete write up on all the things that need to be done in order to complete the mod without going out and buying a newer 4runner of the Gen. So it may be in YOUR best interest as well as others to just read the posts, comment in the positive or just don't say anything, IMHO
Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Patty and Ritzy,

Thanks!

Nick,
One of the reasons why I chose to open this ancient thread was to keep the info regarding this mod in the same thread so that if somebody else would like to do the mod later on, that person will get most of the info, as much as possible, in a single thread instead of jumping from thread to another.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swap 1998 4Runner Radio Bezel with 1999 Bezel