YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Stoping the water from.....??? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/stoping-water-4766/)

Stump1883 12-27-2002 12:13 PM

Stoping the water from.....???

Hey guys what can be done to keep from flooding your engine out,(distributor and other essentials) when doing deep water crossings and deep mud?

My friend did that to his Jeep the other day. I have a good video if you guys have Broad Band I would put it up for you to watch, let me know.

UKMyers 12-27-2002 12:35 PM

A snorkel would be a good place to start to avoid hydrolocks. I am not familiar with waterproofing electrical components but I know if it's done right you can run an engine almost underwater provided the intake and exhaust is free. Ever see swamp buggies when they hit the "Sippi Hole" ?

turboale 12-27-2002 12:44 PM

yeah! post the vid!!

Stump1883 12-27-2002 02:20 PM

Iwill have my friend post it under my name on here, he has Rad Runner, I just have a regular modem, it would take ays coming from me as a server, unless you guys know of an easier way.

Can I post a video somewhere on the internet and use the page as a server, I know you can post pics. onlne but what about vids..

Beowulf 12-27-2002 02:40 PM

Get a Diesel Engine :D ... no distribs, plugs or electronics to short out or replace, they are great engines for off-roading.

Shane 12-27-2002 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Stump1883
Can I post a video somewhere on the internet and use the page as a server, I know you can post pics. onlne but what about vids..
Email it to shane@yotatech.com and I'll host it for you.

Originally posted by Beowulf
Get a Diesel Engine :D ... no distribs, plugs or electronics to short out or replace, they are great engines for off-roading.
You can still hydrolock it and bend a rod... they're better but not indestructable.

Beowulf 12-27-2002 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Shane
You can still hydrolock it and bend a rod... they're better but not indestructable.
Of course, but I was talking about the electronics. With a snorkel and Diesel simplicity you will go further than any other engine when it comes to water crossings.

jx94148 12-27-2002 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Beowulf
How practical of a solution is this??? Not at all.

I'm certain my alternator has been under water many times. The charge light comes on but it keeps running. Then it dries itsself out, the lights go off and it works fine. Granted its clean water, not muddy. I don't think there is anything that can be done for it in muddy water, you can't seal it because it will overheat. Your only option is it mount it high on the motor with custom brackets and belts. If you dunk it in mud be prepared to replace it.

The distributor can be sealed with clear silicone on the seam between the cap and rotor and around all wire connections.

joshik 12-28-2002 10:20 PM

for ur distributor, you can seal it up with some silicone or something alike.

some things to take into consideration when wanting to "waterproof" your truck.

Intake: get a snorkle, or make sure the water doest get that high!

Distributor: Seal it

Differential's and other breather plugs: get extended breather tubes

i kno there are some more things that need to be done... anyone else?

Shane 12-28-2002 10:54 PM

Originally posted by joshik
i kno there are some more things that need to be done... anyone else?
ECU if you're serious about doing submarine impressions. Need to waterproof and/or raise it up.

Robinhood150 12-29-2002 07:26 PM

Here's how to waterproof the electrical: mircrosoft word document.

Here a really big movie from the safari snorkel company. It's pretty cool but you guys might have seen it already. It shows the isuzu trooper being swept away. safari snorkel

Steve