Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Starter Sounds more like a drill than a starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Sounds more like a drill than a starter

86 4runner 22RE engine. The engine dies at a stop light one day. I try to restart & the motor sounds more like a drill than a starter turning the engine over. I immediately think it is the timing chain. I pull the distributer cap (no spark). I turn the motor over & the rotor cap turns as the motor turns over. I pulled the valve cover. The timing chain has pieces of timing chain guides embeded in the links. Since the valves move up & down the rotor turns too, I figure the chain must have jumped a link or two. So, I do a timing chain replacement w/o removing the head (pretty simple process). I line everything up at TDC & put it all back together & I still have the same thing -- starter turns engine over, but sounds more like a drill than a starter cranking over the engine.

Any ideas?
Old 11-12-2003, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure the starter is turning over the engine? I ask because a few of weekends ago a buddy had a similar symptom with his 1st gen.

He had been out messing around on the trails the day before, got home, and the next day the starter was just going "brrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!" when he hit the key. It's a manual, so he could start it with a push.

I thought it might be that the solenoid was stuck from the muck he was playing in. So we popped the hood, and I smacked the starter with a rubber mallet. The whole starter shook!

What had happened was that he had lost the top nut on the starter mount, and the bottom bolt was just about backed out of the tranny housing. That let the starter "lay back" enough such that it didn't engage the flywheel when it spun. That caused the "brrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!" sound, and of course kept the truck from starting.

We went to Lowe's, got a replacement nut for the top along with a couple of lockwashers, and he was all set.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure the starter is turning the motor over, because with the valve cover off I can see the chain turing as well as the lifters going up & down & with the distributor cap off, the rotor is turning.

I'm going to check the compression tonight. Of course the compression test will be done on a cold motor, but I should still get some readings.

thanks,