Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

stainless steel brake lines

Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stainless steel brake lines

does any one know where I can get a set of stainless steel brake lines for my 97' 4runner to replace the oem rubber ones?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:24 PM

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/96024runnerblines.htm
or
www.summitracing.com
Old 04-20-2007, 01:36 AM
Contributing Member

www.hrpworld.com

look for goodridge
Old 04-25-2007, 09:44 AM

www.buybrakes.com

http://www.buybrakes.com/stoptech/apps-Toyota.html

StopTech lines are all pressure tested before leaving their facility. Other lines manufacturer's only test one out of a batch. Also, the lines have a pvc coating over the stainless steel. This keeps little dirt pebbles and debris from getting worked into the stainless steel and eventually cutting the teflon tube inside.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:55 PM

Going with these:

"Goodridge G-Stop High Performance Race-Bred Street Brake Line Kits are constructed from the finest quality hose, consisting of a PTFE inner hose covered by braided stainless steel. This hose provides a more responsive and firm brake pedal by eliminating the "spongy" feel that often accompanies stock rubber brake lines. Additionally, when G-Stop brake hoses are used with an ABS braking system they virtually eliminate brake pedal "chatter" and significantly reduce stopping distance.

G-Stop High Performance Brakelines are abrasion and corrosion resistant to stay good looking for a long time to come.

Goodridge G-Stop High Performance Brakeline Kits are direct bolt-on replacements for all of the rubber brake lines in the vehicle's brake system. (Three to six brake lines are included in each kit depending on the vehicle's original design). To ensure proper fit and easy installation, hose ends and brake line brackets that match the vehicle's original equipment style are used for each application.

By conforming to all requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 106, Goodridge G-Stop High Performance Brakelines are U.S. Department of Transportation certified and T.U.V. approved.

All Goodridge G-Stop High Performance Brakelines go through a 9-point Quality Assurance testing process that includes measuring tensile strength and the ability to contain line pressure to 3,000 pounds per square inch.

G-Stop brake line kits are "Guaranteed Forever".

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product
Old 04-25-2007, 09:09 PM

QSVeilside, none of these are directed at you, but they are directed at Goodridge Marketing.
Originally Posted by QSVeilside
Additionally, when G-Stop brake hoses are used with an ABS braking system they virtually eliminate brake pedal "chatter" and significantly reduce stopping distance.
That's complete bull. Stopping distances are limited by the adhesion of tires. Once tires are at the limits, tell me how brake lines are going to increase that. On top of that ABS pulsates, and your going to feel that through the pedal no matter what. Brakes lines have no effect on the feedback that the pedal has.

All Goodridge G-Stop High Performance Brakelines go through a 9-point Quality Assurance testing process that includes measuring tensile strength and the ability to contain line pressure to 3,000 pounds per square inch.
And these lines are often made in Mexico, and batch testing still be considered testing "all".

G-Stop brake line kits are "Guaranteed Forever".
I wonder how their customer service is to back that up.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:05 PM

Midnight,

Points well said.

In regard to the decreased stopping distance... I'm not saying you are wrong and Goodridge is right... but, is it possible? What I'm trying to say is that we know fluid, unlike gas, is relatively VERY difficult to compress. Rubber will expand before the fluid compresses. This could theoretically result in a lagged response from pedal pressure application, to actual peak caliper pressure. By eliminating expansion of the lines, is it not possible to get a faster response? I believe that is the point Goodridge is marketing, which remains true for pretty much all SS lines out there.

Proof is a tough topic to tackle... I don't have proof to back up Goodridge's claim that they test "all" lines. Along the same exact point... do you have proof that states otherwise specific to Goodridge? Moreover, do you have proof that proves that Stop Tech does test every line?

I've heard good things about Goodridge as well as Stop Tech from members on this forum as well as CT. Both seem to be great products. I'll keep you folks posted on my results, (Goodridge G-stop is in the mail).

Once again good points and food for thought.

Originally Posted by Midnight Runner
QSVeilside, none of these are directed at you, but they are directed at Goodridge Marketing.

That's complete bull. Stopping distances are limited by the adhesion of tires. Once tires are at the limits, tell me how brake lines are going to increase that. On top of that ABS pulsates, and your going to feel that through the pedal no matter what. Brakes lines have no effect on the feedback that the pedal has.

And these lines are often made in Mexico, and batch testing still be considered testing "all".

I wonder how their customer service is to back that up.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:33 PM

For those interested in this mod, here's a starting point. Considering how important the brake system is, please do your own due diligence in choosing the brand for yourself.

Helpful link to installation instructions and opinions. The author rated it a 3 out of 5 so it is not really a biased opinion.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...oodridge+brake

More opinions:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=goodridge

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=goodridge

Gadget's opinion on SS brakelines:

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Susp.htm

Tons of info on stop tech brake kits on CT.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...light=stoptech

Other brands to consider:

SMC Products and Russell.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get mine from Earls.
I use the Servi Shop in Gasoline Alley at Indy (yes - at the track)

But then again I spec the end's vai the part number and the lenght.
I trust Earls to do it right - race cars crash at 200mph... not pretty.

Never had a problem with the hoses I've had em make up.

Best of all - they appear to be marmot proof
Old 04-26-2007, 07:07 AM

I have had good luck and service from Wheelers and will continue to p[atronize them when they have what i want.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:13 PM

Midnight,

Points well said.

In regard to the decreased stopping distance... I'm not saying you are wrong and Goodridge is right... but, is it possible? What I'm trying to say is that we know fluid, unlike gas, is relatively VERY difficult to compress. Rubber will expand before the fluid compresses. This could theoretically result in a lagged response from pedal pressure application, to actual peak caliper pressure. By eliminating expansion of the lines, is it not possible to get a faster response? I believe that is the point Goodridge is marketing, which remains true for pretty much all SS lines out there.

Proof is a tough topic to tackle... I don't have proof to back up Goodridge's claim that they test "all" lines. Along the same exact point... do you have proof that states otherwise specific to Goodridge? Moreover, do you have proof that proves that Stop Tech does test every line?

I've heard good things about Goodridge as well as Stop Tech from members on this forum as well as CT. Both seem to be great products. I'll keep you folks posted on my results, (Goodridge G-stop is in the mail).

Once again good points and food for thought.
Goodridge opens Facility in Mexico!!
http://www.goodridge.net/usa/news.htm#mexico

Ok it says OE, but it's not difficult to manufacture other items as well when you have a facility. Plus there might be out sourcing that is being done.

As for the testing, http://www.stoptech.com/products/sta...al_lines.shtml, and i have friends that own shops who have seen it. Plus I've seen it myself. It's just one guy sitting at a pressure bench testing each line over at their place in Torrance, CA.

You make a very valid point when it comes to shortening stopping distances, but changing lines is hardly an effective method. It might be something like 1-2 ft in the reaction time. Stickier tires can have a 10ft or more change.

When you see the magazine tests and what not that have 60-0 or 70-0 distances, they aren't driving 60, or 70 and then hitting the brakes, and measuring that distance. They are driving at 65 or 75. Then by the time the vehicle reaches 60 or 70, it's already at maximum deceleration.

It's funny how it seems that everyone takes gadget's word like it was carved in stone. He has a lot of first hand experience with a lot of parts, which is great, and he passes that info along. I just have trouble taking anyone completely seriously when they have spelling and grammatical errors on their website. Forum postings are one thing, but a website to me requires more attention to detail.

Plus there's the wheel vibration page that he has. I'm not sure what he's talking about. My OE wheels are clearly hub-centric, but that's a whole other topic.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Runner
Goodridge opens Facility in Mexico!!
http://www.goodridge.net/usa/news.htm#mexico

Ok it says OE, but it's not difficult to manufacture other items as well when you have a facility. Plus there might be out sourcing that is being done.

As for the testing, http://www.stoptech.com/products/sta...al_lines.shtml, and i have friends that own shops who have seen it. Plus I've seen it myself. It's just one guy sitting at a pressure bench testing each line over at their place in Torrance, CA.

You make a very valid point when it comes to shortening stopping distances, but changing lines is hardly an effective method. It might be something like 1-2 ft in the reaction time. Stickier tires can have a 10ft or more change.

When you see the magazine tests and what not that have 60-0 or 70-0 distances, they aren't driving 60, or 70 and then hitting the brakes, and measuring that distance. They are driving at 65 or 75. Then by the time the vehicle reaches 60 or 70, it's already at maximum deceleration.

It's funny how it seems that everyone takes gadget's word like it was carved in stone. He has a lot of first hand experience with a lot of parts, which is great, and he passes that info along. I just have trouble taking anyone completely seriously when they have spelling and grammatical errors on their website. Forum postings are one thing, but a website to me requires more attention to detail.

Plus there's the wheel vibration page that he has. I'm not sure what he's talking about. My OE wheels are clearly hub-centric, but that's a whole other topic.
Goodridge mentions the plant on their site. It does not disprove their statement.

You reference StopTech's site, which is exactly the same thing I did with Goodridge. Except you claim to have "seen" it yourself. Still no solid proof.

We base many of our decisions in aftermarket parts on recommendations. We call them "pioneers," or "gurus." We might not like the idea of accepting their opinions, but we also know that marketing can be full of BS. Hence we look to people like Gadget and other members on this forum for advice/suggestions. Trying to discredit Gadget is not really applicable here is it? Might as well discredit everyone and anyone with an opinion AND research to back up their statements.

Once again Goodridge and Stop Tech both come highly recommended. It is up to the reader to do his/her due diligence on the product... however far that might take them. In the end, most will find the EXACT same conclusion that others on this board have already discovered.