YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   spring compressors (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/spring-compressors-134403/)

johnw999 01-09-2008 08:15 PM

spring compressors

I tried using a spring compressor from autozone to mount the tundra spring on a tokico shock. I now hate spring compressors. I've also found that some shops will just give me a goofy look when I ask for a quote for my lift install. I finally found a mechanic at pep boys who agreed to assemble the strut with no questions. It was $40 total ($20 per strut). The pep boy code for assembling the strut is 8582528.

cbr900boy 01-10-2008 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by johnw999 (Post 50716573)
I tried using a spring compressor from autozone to mount the tundra spring on a tokico shock. I now hate spring compressors. I've also found that some shops will just give me a goofy look when I ask for a quote for my lift install. I finally found a mechanic at pep boys who agreed to assemble the strut with no questions. It was $40 total ($20 per strut). The pep boy code for assembling the strut is 8582528.

Good deal, i've called places that quoted me $100.

Mason Dixon 01-10-2008 10:06 AM

autozone spring compressors suck, one went off in a buddies face a couple of years ago, he had to get 20 stitches to his jaw

from now on I take em to a shop that will do them for 10 bux each

seanz0rz 01-10-2008 10:47 AM

never had a problem with autozone spring compressors, helps to put alot of grease on the threads. i actually own my own set of craftsman (virtually identical to auto zone's loaners) and use those, and if i really want to get it done fast and safe, ill go rent another set from autozone(free).

i have blown apart a set from harbor freight, but that is to be expected. i have no problem compressing these tundra coils. i usually throw a carpet over the assembly so if it does pop, the carpet will absorb some of the kinetic energy.

hross14 01-10-2008 11:53 AM

i have two felt you pains--i havent found a spring compressor that works on the Tundra coils either EXCEPT for the floor/wasll mounted ones. Autozone SC suck...alot....they are to thick to work with the coils--

I also take mine to Pep boys--40$ and i was happier than a fat kid with cake
:nerd:

johnw999 01-10-2008 12:13 PM

My hope is that the pep boys maintenance code will help others get their springs mounted easily. Other shops have said to me:
why do you want to install new springs?
no.
new springs will not give you more lift.
tundra springs are too big for the tokico shock.
Let me call you back on that. (they never called back)
Sure we'll install your lift kit for you. That'll be $500

Roadtripr 01-10-2008 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Dixon (Post 50716980)
autozone spring compressors suck, one went off in a buddies face a couple of years ago, he had to get 20 stitches to his jaw

from now on I take em to a shop that will do them for 10 bux each

ouch! I did look nervously at their flex when I replaced my struts.

jfreisner 01-10-2008 12:35 PM

I've heard awful stories about torsion bars unloading on people :scared:

Mr.Dabadina 01-10-2008 12:36 PM

I rented some from pep boys and 20 minutes in, realized it was probably unsafe and definately a bigger PITA. They were to thick and wouln't fit between the coils of my 881s.

mikNtx 01-10-2008 01:10 PM

i recently installed the ss7.1 kit and quickly saw the issues of installing the coils. for safety sake, i used both a set of the harbor freight and craftsman compressors at the same time (four on a coil). the wire diameter (> .625) of the tundra coils just did not fit the craftsmans well and was unable to lock the safety pins over the coil.

when finished, the threads on the craftsman threaded rods were galled flat and the horror freight set had completely seized up (yes, they were well oiled). i admit i rigorously used an air impact on them and they turned out to be one time use compressors, so my install cost was about $65 total. i thought about returning the craftsman's, but knew the coils were way to big for them.

also and unfortunate, i had to undo one set of tundra coils from the new strut as i did not line up the top spacer relative to the lower strut eye mount. that extra work is probably what killed the threads.

MTL_4runner 01-10-2008 01:43 PM

Rental compressors are very dangerous because you never know the abuse they have taken prior to you using them. Either get a set yourself or take them to a local shop to have them done on a wall mount compressor. You shouldn't be spending more than $20 per side to change them for walk-ins.

digitalracer 01-10-2008 02:53 PM

i use one of these bad boys http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45860 granted its not one of those things you will use alot, but man is it handy when you do. ive used those spring compressors you can rent at autozone or wherever, but i just dont trust them. i too have had too many close calls with getting hurt. i was also suprised with the quality of that setup considering it was from harbor freight, but it seems to be made better than most HF tools anyways hope this helps

johnw999 01-10-2008 03:22 PM

Looks like a handy tool to have. When I install the ss 7 kit that I have, I'll sell the 99 springs and kyb shocks that I'm replacing. The springs and shocks only have 5000 miles on them, but I'll probably have a shop disassemble the strut. Seems dangerous to ship an assembled strut. What do yall think?

Nate08 01-10-2008 04:28 PM

I used 2 AutoZone compressors on each Tundra coil fine. Compressed em down really far. I was surprised to say the least.

sandals 01-10-2008 08:47 PM

Funny how different the experiences can be. I had a shop with a wall mount skookum unit and the sucker just looked scary as it was compressing (twisting and moaning) :scared: Very glad I didn't try it myself...

hross14 01-11-2008 07:05 AM

999--I think they would be fine shipped that way--if unsure--wire run some safety wire through them. But once they are together i have never heard of anything bad happening.

GSGALLANT 01-11-2008 10:54 AM

These stories make me happy that I have my press with my beefy homemade spring compressor adapter to use when I need it.