Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

so i removed my cat and installed a straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i removed my cat and installed a straight pipe along with a flowmaster...sounds great, runs great, also seemed to get better fuel mileage untill...

bad news....after three days it threw a CEL for an O2, i thought it would but not to lose power and fule mileage. the auto store did not have the code just O2 failure...asuming the O2 after the cat is running to high (rich) after the removel.

i wanted to know if any one has used any other eliminator with good reviews other then the URD for your 3rd gen. i have read all the post with the URD and am leaning that way. also does the CEL being triped cause the power and fuel problems? and will the URD correct this.

just wanted some feed back from those that have done this also....

thanks all!!

i will call GADGET monday at URD.

Last edited by BIGMIKES~98RUNNER; 11-16-2008 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:55 AM

found this on ebay....

Item Title: Blox Oxygen Sensor O2 CEL Check Engine Light Eliminator
Item Number: 260315154342
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260315154342

how in the heck does this work?

emailed the company and said it will work to turn off light. thats all i got from them.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thing its a resistor and they charge you lots of money classic ebay scamm maybe??7
Old 11-16-2008, 07:49 AM

Why don't you put the cat back in and try to eliminate some of the pollution?
Old 11-16-2008, 07:50 AM

http://www.trdparts4u.com/

or

http://www.urdusa.com/

I believe I saw a bypass on either of those sites for cat's. Check it out.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BIGMIKES~98RUNNER
Can I ask why?
Old 11-16-2008, 07:53 AM

Yup. The first 02 is for the efi. The second just lets you know how the cat is doing. All you need is a resistor that tells the cpu that all is swell. Look in a manual as to how to test it and then plug the corresponding resistors across the terminals. That is what the thing on ebay does.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:12 AM

so i removed my cat and installed a straight pipe....
Lame.

Do you not think you should participate in efforts to reduce air pollution and associated impacts on peoples' health? Or is that the responsibility of others?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by riverrat
Lame.

Do you not think you should participate in efforts to reduce air pollution and associated impacts on peoples' health? Or is that the responsibility of others?
Cows proudce 4x, yes 4 times as much green house gases AS ALL THE CARS IN THE WORLD COMBINED!
Old 11-16-2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
Why don't you put the cat back in and try to eliminate some of the pollution?
Originally Posted by DailyDrive
Can I ask why?
Originally Posted by riverrat
Lame.

because the cat was bad and the cost of a new one was not in the books...like it or not, i dont think the pollution is taking over the world. try moving out of the city..

try a search on this and see how many others you can ask for this answer. maybe they can help more. or maybe you guys are just jealous because your state wont allow this...

and thanks to the others that have helped.

i am still hoping for someone that has installed the URD simulator to chime in.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Texas Ace is right....Cows do produce more green house gasses than motor vehicles...and some of us dont have the money to buy a new catalytic converter so the easiest thing to do is remove it...mine was clogged like hell...shop manager said the best thing to do is just remove it and put in a straight pipe..so i did that..
Old 11-16-2008, 08:49 AM

Cows proudce 4x, yes 4 times as much green house gases AS ALL THE CARS IN THE WORLD COMBINED!
I'm not going to chime in on how lame it is to remove a cat, I just want to correct the lack of science in this statement as it relates to catalytic converters.

The catalytic converter has nothing to do with managing greenhouse gas emissions. It's there to deal with carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides. Carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion, while the nitrogen oxides are a product combustion temperatures.

Greenhouse gases from the tailpipe are primarily related to carbon dioxide, a product of combustion.

MadCityRich
Old 11-16-2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by bigt
thing its a resistor and they charge you lots of money classic ebay scamm maybe??7
Did you even click the link?

All that part is that Mike linked us to is an adapter to prevent a spark plug from fouling from oil burning cars. Used to sell them at an autoparts store I used to work at in the mid 90's. Today's cars you do not need them. If you look in the mom and pop auto part stores you would probably still find them. We used to charge $5 for one of them. But what that part also does is raise the oxygen sensor out of the direct exhaust stream so the O2 sensor will have a lazy response time. Being that an O2 sensor has the same threads as the old V8 spark plugs, it will thread right in. Since Toyota's use a bolt in style flange, that part will not work but their is an easy solution. This is what you need to purchase:

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.c.../Detail?no=425

James

Last edited by JamesD; 11-16-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:57 AM

Here is the idea of the anti-fouler spark plug adapter

http://my.is/forums/f88/o2-sim-adapt...r-25-a-354011/
Old 11-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i am still hoping for someone that has installed the URD simulator to chime in.
I have one, what do you want to know? It will prevent a P0420 code, but that's all it does (no other codes). You still need a working rear O2 sensor for it to work. BTW for those cat lovers out there, I have one Carsound cat ($60 off ebay), but that wasn't enough to satisfy the ECU.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 AM

because the cat was bad and the cost of a new one was not in the books
You don't have 50-100$ for a universal cat?

How do you plan on passing inspection without the cat even being present? I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure Florida is not one of those states that are about 50 years behind the times.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The explanations I have read about BLOX is that it puts some space between the 02 sensor and the pipe, and reduces the amount of exhaust hitting the sensor...
Old 11-16-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
I don't know if this is true or not...but this way of thinking is why humans take so long to make any positive progress. Essentially you are implying that we humans have the justification to pollute more than we need to just because cows produce more green house gases anyways. What would happen if everybody thought like you did and just excused their actions by passing the blame?

Back on track now. BIGMIKES, I understand where you are coming from since cats can be quite expensive. Have you asked around at junk yards or maybe thought about getting an aftermarket magnaflow cat? I think the money you would spend on some code 'eliminators' should be saved up to eventually replace your cat.

Last edited by JC_ez; 11-16-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I have one, what do you want to know? It will prevent a P0420 code, but that's all it does (no other codes). You still need a working rear O2 sensor for it to work. BTW for those cat lovers out there, I have one Carsound cat ($60 off ebay), but that wasn't enough to satisfy the ECU.
thanks goat, i still have the 2 working O2's in place. did you see any corrections with the ecu to go back to normal to help with the fuel mileage and loss of power? or did you correct this in time to not notice the problems? i have read other threads that some had the same problem with the loss but did not chime in on the corrections after the install.

reason asking is that the few days befor the CEL i was getting great fuel mileage and more power (throtle response) then before the removel.

and to the others about the high flow cats.....why? Florida does not have the emissions...yet!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:17 PM

also thank you to all that have done research on this with the ebay link. that helps out a lot.

i will talk with URD tommorow and get more info on how there simulator works.

Quick Reply: so i removed my cat and installed a straight pipe