YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Snap-On Timing Belt Tensioner available in CO? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/snap-timing-belt-tensioner-available-co-91492/)

EToy 08-01-2006 05:54 PM

Snap-On Timing Belt Tensioner available in CO?

I'm going on a long road trip with the runner in a couple of weeks, and at 185K, I'm well overdue for a timing belt change. Everything I read is recommending to use the snap-on tensioner to ease the installation. I of course waited too long in the week to reliably get the tool by Friday.

Thought I would check to see if anyone in CO happens to already have this tool? A 12 pack of your favorite adult beverage could probably be put up as collateral for the weekend!

JamesD 08-01-2006 07:44 PM

YOU DON'T NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!! All you need is a vise and a pin that will fit in the hole snug. I have done many timiing belts with a hydraulic tensioner this way. Dont waste your money!! All you need to do is compress the unit slowly.

James

eric-the-red 08-02-2006 06:37 AM

True you don't need it but if you have the Snap-On tool you don't have to remove the tensioner from the engine, which means you don't have to mess around with the A/C compressor.

surf4runner 08-02-2006 09:14 AM

rocket has one...if you can find him

i have one in CA. friday would be expensive to ship by

:drink: X 12

EToy 08-02-2006 03:15 PM

James,
What do you mean when you say vise? I assume there's too much tension to be able to move the piece with your hands and just put a pin in it?

E

kmchby76 08-02-2006 03:49 PM

you can buy one of these on ebay. I did.

vegaskurt 08-02-2006 04:06 PM

Matco also makes that tool. I think it was like $30 from them but could be wrong.

If you have paitence and dont mind taking the AC compressor off then you wont need the tool. I ended up using a C clamp to compress it (after I got it out) and stuck a small allen wrench in it to secure it.

JamesD 08-02-2006 04:40 PM

In what year did the A/C compressor get in the way for the 3.4? I did one on my buddies 95 Taco 3.4 And I never removed the A/C. Only two bolts hold it in there.

Yes the tensioner is hydraulic and it cannot be compress by hand.

James

JamesD 08-02-2006 04:49 PM

Oh and the Snap-On part number is YA9730: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all

Why pay $50 for a tool you only going to use once and can do it with a vise?

James

kmchby76 08-02-2006 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by JamesD
Oh and the Snap-On part number is YA9730: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all

Why pay $50 for a tool you only going to use once and can do it with a vise?

James

If yours is a 3.0, the yeah you don't need the tool. however on the 3.4 taking out the tensioner isn't as easy. I did mine which is a 3.4 and I did my brother in law's which is the 3.0 and his was much easier. Infact this tool does not work on the 3.0s.

As for the a/c compressor being in the way, on my 96 i could not get to the back left bolt to remove it, and the back tensioner bolt was not accessable while compressor in.

JamesD 08-02-2006 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by kmchby76

If yours is a 3.0, the yeah you don't need the tool. however on the 3.4 taking out the tensioner isn't as easy. I did mine which is a 3.4 and I did my brother in law's which is the 3.0 and his was much easier. Infact this tool does not work on the 3.0s.

As for the a/c compressor being in the way, on my 96 i could not get to the back left bolt to remove it, and the back tensioner bolt was not accessable while compressor in.

I didnt have any issues getting the tensioner out. I used a swivel socket and maybe that is why I got it out.

The 3.0 does in fact have the hydraulic tensioner as well. I think it was 1992 when they changed over from the spring to the hydraulic.

James

kmchby76 08-02-2006 06:07 PM

the gap on the 3.0 between tensioner pulley and water pump pulley is greater than on the 3.4. so the tool doesn't extend far enough on the 3.4. on my runner, the rear bolt on the tension was just not accessable at all, a swivel wouldn't have helped. i tried everything before buying the tool. i was not trying to discredit the hydraulic tensioner as i already knew it was. just from my own experience the 3.0 was much easier than my 3.4.

vegaskurt 08-02-2006 09:11 PM

If you got the tensioner out without having to un bolt the ac compressor you are a better man than I am. I have an assortment of swivels and extenstions and I could not get to that bolt without removing the compressor. I tried for at least a few hours before giving in and unbolting the compressor.

surf4runner 08-04-2006 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by JamesD
Oh and the Snap-On part number is YA9730
Why pay $50 for a tool you only going to use once...

i only paid $33 from the local truck.
i have a lot of tools ive only used once. and i was very happy to have it for the only time i needed it.

i have a suggestion, someone who has one (me now) sell it to the next person who would use it and then sell it again. so its avail to whoever needs it next.

JamesD 08-04-2006 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by surf4runner
i only paid $33 from the local truck.
i have a lot of tools ive only used once. and i was very happy to have it for the only time i needed it.

i have a suggestion, someone who has one (me now) sell it to the next person who would use it and then sell it again. so its avail to whoever needs it next.

Now that is an idea!

James

JamesD 08-04-2006 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by vegaskurt
If you got the tensioner out without having to un bolt the ac compressor you are a better man than I am. I have an assortment of swivels and extenstions and I could not get to that bolt without removing the compressor. I tried for at least a few hours before giving in and unbolting the compressor.

I have small hands. Heck I usually wear mechanics gloves when I work. I can put small things together with the gloves on. I have a nack for getting to hard to reach places.

James

SouthernComfort 08-04-2006 09:44 PM

I was also able to get the tensioner out without removing the AC compressor. All you have to do is go from the front of the oil pan and move the wires out of the way. If you have a buddy helping use a 1/4'' drive extension and swivel socket and have the buddy place the socket onto the bolt while you turn it. If no buddy is available it is still possible, but it may take a little longer.

A few hours?!?!?!?!? You are more patient than me. I only spent 10 minutes or so on that part and I was beginning to feel the blood pressure rise.

bigacuralvr 08-07-2006 07:58 PM

I have one, Im in Broomfield. PM me if you still need it!!

Brett

youngbuck 08-12-2006 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by surf4runner
rocket has one...if you can find him

:drink: X 12

Hey, that's my tool. He better lay off.

rocket 08-12-2006 03:24 PM

haha i never even knew you had one. Is it snap-on?