Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-21-2016, 12:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

should I go with the Tundra brake or Brembo brakes ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should I go with the Tundra brake or Brembo brakes ?

Hi, I did search but it does not seem to address my problem. I would like to get a better stopping power for my 3rd Gen. 4Runner. Should I go with the Tundra rotors ? I know this will need some grinding work/ modification. Another option is, I can just order the Brembo front rotors and Brembo rear drums at: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...78&brandid=335

this is for the front rotors and as for the Brembo rear drums at --> http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...79&brandid=335

Now, this is a simple direct replacement with no modification. If you were to upgrade your brake on your 3rd Gen., which option would you choose ? the Tundra brake or Brembo replacement ? thank you for your input
Old 12-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

I would keep OEM drums and go with the Tundra setup. The grinding is minimal. I am going to go this route real soon. I can't stand the factory brakes.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

order brembo rotors for the tundra
get tundra calipers
stainless steel lines
Old 12-06-2005, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by sdastg1
order brembo rotors for the tundra
get tundra calipers
stainless steel lines
where can I order them ? a website or link will be helpful, thank you
Old 12-06-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
I would keep OEM drums and go with the Tundra setup. The grinding is minimal. I am going to go this route real soon. I can't stand the factory brakes.
What part of the grinding needs to be done ? a picture will be helpful to highlight the area that needs to grind away. Thank you for your input
Old 12-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

stoptech BBK'S!!! hahaha

i would try a rear disc conv!
Old 12-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

I just did the Tundra conversion a few months ago and they are great. I used to have to pump by brakes to get better stopping power. Not to mention I had a slight warp in my factory rotors. Install was pretty much bolt on w/ a little modification to the calipers but very little.

I noticed yesterday how happy I am to have these brakes. I was driving very fast on the freeway (over 70 mph) when after a blind turn, traffic was completely stopped. I almost panicked but hit the brakes and I was fine. I'm sure if I had my old brakes, I would have rear-ended a ton of cars. I am very happy with the brake system. The only thing I may have done differently was get cross-drilled vs. slotted rotors. I know the slotted tend to be better but the cross-drilled rotors would look great on our trucks, especially with wheels that have big spaces in them.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yota5VZFE
where can I order them ? a website or link will be helpful, thank you
Brembos from any Brembo distributor or the internet. I used Raybestos fully-loaded calipers that you can get at almost any parts store. Steel braided lines can be custom done or you can buy some from summit racing.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

when i upgarde my wheels to 18's im gonna go with tundra calipers, some big brake upgrade kit with larger rotors and a spacer for the front calipers, ceramic pads and ss lines
Old 12-06-2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by dexter
when i upgarde my wheels to 18's im gonna go with tundra calipers, some big brake upgrade kit with larger rotors and a spacer for the front calipers, ceramic pads and ss lines
I have the stock 16 inch wheel, will this tundra setup works with the stock 16 inch wheel ?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:53 PM

Just curious why most of you are doing brake mods?

If you think you will stop faster you are probably wrong. If your stock brakes are not up to snuff, then making sure you have good rotors, good pads and no leaks with decent lines then your truck will stop fine. If you guys are upgrading because you need to do repetetive stopping or something, or are usually bringing heavy loads/towing and want the brakes then I can understand.

I just have a feeling that many people have been doing these tundra brakes or others for that matter that don't even need them; and end up saying how good they are compared to stock when the reason they prolly stop better is because of all the new equipment, not because they are larger calipers/rotors...

Anyhow, not trying to dog on anyone. Im generally curious why you are all upgrading your brakes?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:56 PM

Interesting question noahrexion
Old 12-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Banned

www.tirerack.com has them for $51
Old 12-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by noahrexion
Just curious why most of you are doing brake mods?

If you think you will stop faster you are probably wrong. If your stock brakes are not up to snuff, then making sure you have good rotors, good pads and no leaks with decent lines then your truck will stop fine. If you guys are upgrading because you need to do repetetive stopping or something, or are usually bringing heavy loads/towing and want the brakes then I can understand.

I just have a feeling that many people have been doing these tundra brakes or others for that matter that don't even need them; and end up saying how good they are compared to stock when the reason they prolly stop better is because of all the new equipment, not because they are larger calipers/rotors...

Anyhow, not trying to dog on anyone. Im generally curious why you are all upgrading your brakes?

so you don't think having a larger, thicker rotor ... a larger brake caliper, with larger brake pad, and adding stainless steel lines, will have any significant difference on the stopping power?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sdastg1
so you don't think having a larger, thicker rotor ... a larger brake caliper, with larger brake pad, and adding stainless steel lines, will have any significant difference on the stopping power?
I definately think that bigger rotors, bigger calipers will make a large difference in stoping power. Dont the tundra calipers have 1 more piston?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
I definately think that bigger rotors, bigger calipers will make a large difference in stoping power. Dont the tundra calipers have 1 more piston?
No, they're both 4 piston but the rotors are much thicker than the 4runner. Also, the calipers are bigger. I don't get the question of "do they really stop better?" Of course they do. It's been pretty well documented on this site that 3rd gen rotors warp easily. tr4.org also has similar posts about stock rotors warping. If you want to keep OEM, do it. I know that I hated the braking power on my OEM rotors and calipers. Yes, they were old and needed replacement but why not upgrade and incur a little additional cost.

I'm very satisfied w/ this mod and would say it has so far the biggest "bang for your buck" on my mod list.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:09 PM

ok, I have spent some time searching the web for 2000 Tundra OEM rotors and calipers and I could not find a place to order them. I don't want to order the wrong parts. If you guys know the exact website or link, please please post it up along with the exact part numbers so that I will be able to order the correct parts. Thank you for your input
Old 12-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yota5VZFE
ok, I have spent some time searching the web for 2000 Tundra OEM rotors and calipers and I could not find a place to order them. I don't want to order the wrong parts. If you guys know the exact website or link, please please post it up along with the exact part numbers so that I will be able to order the correct parts. Thank you for your input
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72371
Old 12-06-2005, 08:31 PM

I told you guys long ago about this upgrade and how much better the stoping power is over our crappy warp-prone rotors....

Now that a couple of you guys have done it (besides me), was it worth the effort? Or do you think you wasted your money?

Personally, I'm glad I did it. I can't begin to tell you how much better the brakes are when I'm towing my 6x10 enclosed trailer fully loaded.

For that matter, bringing over 50lbs of rotating rubber mass along with about 4000lbs of truck to a safe stop.

For the $, there is no better upgrade IMHO.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:20 PM

thank you. now if you take a look at --> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...5&postcount=97

The 2002 tundra OEM calipers are selling for $285.49 each and the tundra OEM rotors are selling for $74.83 each. If you get a set of them, 2 calipers and 2 rotors, your total will be $720.64. Now, I might need to reconsider the Tundra setup because $720 is a lot of money. I know you will get much better stopping power but the $720 does not sound really good. I am looking to spend no more than $400 for a brake upgrade.

Quick Reply: should I go with the Tundra brake or Brembo brakes ?