Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Short somewhere? 10A Gauge fuse popping

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Short somewhere? 10A Gauge fuse popping

Hello all, I just registered here on YotaTech as I need some help. I have searched on here before and this forum has helped me out in the past, but I am out of ideas now with my current dilemma.

I have a 2002 Tacoma with the 3.4L 5VZ-FE and an auto trans. 2WD as well. The truck has what I would consider to be an extensive amount of modifications so that may play a part in what is going on here. It is not your average "PreRunner" tacoma. It is fully caged, long travel with 4-link and all the other fun stuff.

Now on to the issue. I am popping the 10A gauge fuse immediately when the ignition is turned to the ON position. I got the truck a few months ago and drove about 100 miles or so with no issues. Then while driving, my speedo, tach, temp, and odo went dead. Fuel stayed where it was at. I checked fuses and the mentioned 10A fuse was blown. I replaced it and all was well. After about 50 miles, it happened again. Then again after about 20 miles. And then again after <5 miles. Well that last time it popped I was on a 60 miles round trip and I just kept going cause it didn't seem to affect the trucks performance. On my way back home from my destination I made a pit stop. Went to leave for home and it wouldn't start. Got it jump started and was on my way. After about 10 miles, I noticed a severe performance loss, it had almost no power so I pulled off the road to see what was up. I noticed that my aftermarket e-fan was running VERY slow so I shut it down. Tried to restart and nothing. Dead again. Got it towed home(sad day in the world of Toyota). Tired and frustrated, I left it for the next morning.

Voltage was resting around 10 volts. I jumped it and with the second vehicle still attached with both engines running voltage was around 12.5volts. I disconnected the vehicles and voltage dropped to around 9 volts and I watched it drop to 8.5 volts before I shut it down. I start thinking bad alternator, but I ended up having both the battery and the alternator tested and they were good. Upon reinstalling the alternator I noticed a vacuum line had come loose from the K&N intake tube. I am assuming that is part of what caused the loss in performance so I fixed that. I decided to trace the wires from the trans connectors and that is when I found that the harness that connects to the trans had melted on the exhaust(the manifold that crosses over from the driver side between the engine and firewall). I pulled back the wire loom and the damage was not as bad as I was expecting. There was a shielded set of wires. There was a sleeve that looked like the size of about 10GA wire but it had three wires inside of it. The sleeve was black with a pink stripe. Inside the sleeve was a purple wire, orange wire, and a bare wire. The purple wire was the only one damaged and it was touching that bare wire. I tested that bare wire and it has continuity to ground(not sure if it is supposed to be grounded or not). I cut out the damage portion of the wire and soldered in a new piece of wire. I wrapped everything up and reconnected everything thinking I had fixed it but upon turning the key the fuse popped as soon as I hit the ON position. I disconnected all the connectors in that harness and tried another fuse to see if one of the sensors was shorted out internally but again, I popped the fuse. I tested all the pins on the connectors for continuity to ground and some had none while a couple connectors has two pins that went to ground somehow. I am not sure if they are supposed to or not. The wire colors on those pins were red w/black, black w/red, pink and blue. One connector was large and had like 10 pins on it and the other had only 3 pins and was connected to the very tail end of the trans.

This is where I left off last night after several hours of attempting to find the problem. I am sorry for the long winded story but I figured that the more info I give, the better the help I may receive. If anyone can point me in the right direction it is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Adam
Old 11-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did some more trouble shooting and more web surfing and finally got it straightened out.

This site here is great:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/

I ended up tracing a black w/red wire up under the dash and knowing that the cage work was behind the dash I started pulling the dash. I ended up finding that one of the screws on the back of the gauge cluster was touching the cage and shorting out the whole thing. I put some insulation in the trouble spot and presto, what a relief.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is a good feeling when you are able to solve a problem your self. Glad you got it fixed.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dang good of you to solve the issue yourself and then let people know what it was. Previous owner electrical issues can be pretty annoying-this is a good way to let others learn by what happened to you.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gee, and I was just about to suggest it was one of the screws hitting the cage....

Seriously, congratulations and thanks for posting. This is one where a forum can't help much other than point you to the wiring manual (that you found yourself) and encourage persistence, which you obviously have.