Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

S/C Auto Trans Valve Body Rework Success (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S/C Auto Trans Valve Body Rework Success (long)

I have a 2000 4Runner with S/C and most fuel mods. I had been putting off the auto trans valve body recommendations for a lot of really lame reasons (most of which were time related). I came to the conclusion that my slow 2nd gear shifts were likely going to involve a trans rebuild, but thought I would start with the valve body rework as it would need to be done anyway.

My 4Runner is very important to me, and although this isn't a huge $ job, I wanted to spend a little time with the company to ask questions and to be sure I was getting what I wanted.

I saw several postings, mostly from Chris (ravencr) regarding a company in NJ that he had worked with called IPT (www.importperformancetrans.com). I emailed them and got almost immediate response with answers to all my questions. I can not say enough about the time that John spent with me on the phone and in email to discuss exactly what I was looking for.

I pulled the valve body and sent it off to him (very, very messy process, be prepared if you do this yourself). He called me when it arrived (late one afternoon) to tell me that he was going to stay that night to rework the valve body to get it turned around so that I could install it that weekend. It just so happened that my 4Runner had a bit of a mutant valve body in it. Toyota doesn't make their own transmissions, and it appears that even the same year Toyota may have different permutations of the transmission. This one was some kind of a cross of the valve body design seen on Tacomas with that of the Lexus. Anyway, the point is that it had a gasket that was not common and needed to be ordered.

Despite the timing setback, John still got the valve body reworked and returned to me for Saturday delivery, and included ways to contact him if I had any questions during the re-installation process.

I finished the installation last night and wished that I had done this long ago. Finally, nice crisp shifts and no more slow 2nd gear shifts. AWESOME.

I was very lucky that I hadn't already trashed my transmission by waiting to get the valve body rework completed. IPT did an excellent job of tuning the valve body specifically for my needs (mild, crisp shifts, not neck snapping) and I couldn't recommend them more for the quality of work they did.

If you have an S/C runner, get this mod done now...

Last edited by derrick92130; 01-11-2004 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:38 AM

Awesome Derrick! I'm glad you had the same experience as me. John is great!

Chris
Old 01-11-2004, 11:34 AM

How much did this service cost? (if you don't mind me asking)
Old 01-11-2004, 11:49 AM

Nevermind, I found the price on their site (duh!). I wonder if they're affiliated with Level Ten - they operate in the same town... Anyway, I've sent them an email. I'm within driving distance of them, so if I can drive in have them do the job and then drive home, I'm definitely doing it.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

I am pretty sure the normal price is $475. I didn't pick them because of price, it was because of the service. However, it is always nice to get both.

Over the past few months, I had send several inquiries to Level 10, but never got a response back. My guess was that they must have been pretty buried.

I was really after the personal support and attention, and IPT was very responsive and helpful (I tend to have a few questions :-)

Hope that helps.

-Derrick

Last edited by derrick92130; 01-11-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

level 10 charges $750-800 for the same service
Old 01-11-2004, 01:09 PM

Derrick, I live in California also. How much did you spend on everything including shipping freight and the valve upgrade.

Also does anyone have a write up on what really needs to be removed from the truck and sent to IPT? I am planning on doing it but I am kinda hesitant on my skill levels.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Import Performance Transmissions - Hanover, NJ

Chris et al ...

I too am having the same experience with John at IPT. I was on the fence and hoping that Toyota would step up to the plate and admit some concern and responsibility for the soft 2-3 shifts, but after going back and forth with John and being progressively more impressed with every communication I told him the other day to ink me in for a 1/15 appointment. I expect to be there when they open. If anyone wants to meet me there on Thursday, I'll buy lunch.

Sure, Level-10 is his competition (?) but not once did he mention them or slam their service. I have known many guys in my Impala club that have used Level-10 with mixed reviews, but I have yet to hear a disparaging word about IPS and if John's customer service is reflective of the company as a whole, I have nothing to worry about. :pat:

Has anyone taken pictures at IPT to show the process? If not, I will take my Digi and see if John will let me shoot some for us to see. I will have to send them to someone (Chris? ) to put on the web or into a format for display here.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:29 PM

Re: Import Performance Transmissions - Hanover, NJ

Hey Peter,

How is that 7th injector working out for you? Do you have any regrets? Wish you had gone with the URD kit?

To keep this on topic, I've had a couple of email conversations with John, and he seems like a great guy - willing to work with me on all aspects of the transaction, including schedule.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:37 PM

Re: Re: Import Performance Transmissions - Hanover, NJ

Originally posted by phong
Hey Peter,

How is that 7th injector working out for you? Do you have any regrets? Wish you had gone with the URD kit?

Regrets? Yeah, I can't get better than 16 mpg in around-town driving.

No-o-o-o, I have absolutely no regrets. The truck pulls really hard right up to the rev limiter and when I go to NY on Wednesday I will be gunning for that X5 that skunked me before I got sorted out.

I still haven't installed the WALBRO pump but do not feel as though I am running out of fuel at any point during WOT acceleration.

I am really curious about this new tuning device that TRD is coming out with called a VIRTUAL DASH. I have a feeling it could cost a gillion dollars but it sounds really cool but I am not 100% clear on everything it can do.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by phong
Nevermind, I found the price on their site (duh!). I wonder if they're affiliated with Level Ten - they operate in the same town... Anyway, I've sent them an email. I'm within driving distance of them, so if I can drive in have them do the job and then drive home, I'm definitely doing it.
Just so everyone knows, IPT (John) is in no way affiliated with Level 10. John's office used to be a lot further away from Level 10 when I had my VB done. They are a lot closer to each other now, and they are direct competitors of each other. Level 10 has a huge name, but I personally beleive that if customer service and quality is important to you, I'd highly recommend talking further with John at IPT.

Chris
Old 01-12-2004, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

I can't help but jump in here to join in the chorus singing the praises of IPT. John was simply wonderful to work with, especially nowadays, with the lack of meaning of the term "customer service." He went above and beyond in doing my valve body mod and I commend him.

If your supercharged 'Runner has an annoying shift lag between 1st and 2nd, SEE JOHN!
Old 01-12-2004, 12:16 PM

I have to jump in here. I did get my V/B upgraded at level 10 a year ago. From personal experience, they respond better to telephone questions over email...not sure why.

As for a write up, one of the best I found is here http://members.cox.net/mgriese5/Level10.html

Lastly, where this is NOT a difficult task, but it is messy! Be prepared with a large (square inches) drain pan, lot's of paper towels and you will end up with an ATF shower when you remove the V/B and replacing the springs (both jobs are probably VERY simple on a bench). Plan on about 8 quarts of ATF...yep, that's about four quarts of ATF shower!!!

Ahhh, the sound of tires chipping on that second gear shift!!!!!
Old 01-12-2004, 01:02 PM

Cool thanks for the pics and writeup. Anyways, so the picture below is the "valve body" which needs to be shipped out. Is this correct?

Old 01-12-2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by VF84Tomcat

If your supercharged 'Runner has an annoying shift lag between 1st and 2nd, SEE JOHN!
Maybe I am nuts but my 1-2 shift is fine, it is my 2-3 shift that lags.

I talked to him about my desire to hook up a tranny temp gauge and he is thinking about how best to accomplish that because the tubing diameters and thread sizes are not compatible with stand SAE specs. The sending units I have used are NPT thread and I have always put them into the outlet line that goes to the cooler, not into the pan. I also do not want to use rubber hose and worm gear band clamps if I don't have to. I hate the way the oil cooler connects.

I am sure that John must realize that it is because of his sincere customer service and willingness to share and offer technical assistance, but not try to sell, sell, sell his service that he is going to get flooded with work from members of this board. He told me I could take pictures when I am at his shop this Thursday and I really look forward to the experience.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

I have a 4gen runner, and installed the s/c 6 months ago. I've had nothing but smooth shifting in all gears. Should I be worry about this problem in the future?
Old 01-12-2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Biff
I have a 4gen runner, and installed the s/c 6 months ago. I've had nothing but smooth shifting in all gears. Should I be worry about this problem in the future?
Probably!

Chris
Old 01-12-2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Biff
Tell me about your REAR FOG LAMP MOD.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ManyMods
Tell me about your REAR FOG LAMP MOD.

I just installed some lights in the empty light housings of the runner.

Here's a pic

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vic...icture+027.jpg
Old 01-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

'

Last edited by Biff; 01-12-2004 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply: S/C Auto Trans Valve Body Rework Success (long)