Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Right way to install new bushings??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right way to install new bushings??

Hey, I just got the bushing kit from Wabfab and I got 2/3s of it installed. The vertical bolt.... I can't get those bushings out. I had to put it all back together because we have a road trip tomorrow. I have the large "donut" installed, and the others that are for the really long bolt. But I know I did it the hard way. How is the right way to get the old bushing out and the new ones in? Is there some kind of press or something? Regarding the set for the long bolt, I installed the new bushings, and then beat the metal sleeve through them using a socket and extension (socket going over the sleeve and hitting it with a hammer).

Any suggestions on getting the last set installed (how to get the old ones out, and the new ones in)? I can get the bolt out (which I would love to kick that engineer in the head for that one!!!!).
Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so, I assume its the steering rack bushings you are takling about though you mention it nowhere.
This was on the first page of posts in the 3rd gen section. Try searching.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...cement-169316/
Old 03-17-2009, 06:43 AM

you can use a c clamp and a socket
Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Godzilla
Ok, so, I assume its the steering rack bushings you are takling about though you mention it nowhere.
This was on the first page of posts in the 3rd gen section. Try searching.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...cement-169316/
..."Try searching" You're too F!!cking funny. I've spent hours on this forum in the past week searching for this steering bushing to get familure with it. That link never once came up. The search on this forum isn't very good and I'm not the first to mention it.

As for not mentioning it's for the steering rack, I was cold, tired and frustrated. I did miss putting that in there before hitting the send button. My bad...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 AM

Heres other ways to get old bushings out.

-You can use a torch.....but get ready to deal with the smell

-You can drill a series of holes around the bushing and then use a screwdriver or a chisel and a hammer to split it in half.

Good luck
Old 03-17-2009, 08:13 AM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
since the factory bushings are encased in the rubber, i had to cut away the flange of one side of the "sealed", one-piece unit, then pounded it out the other side. i tried and persevered using needle nose pliers and utility knife. if i could have done it again, i would have just used wire cutters (which i've gone out and purchased since) to snip the rubber flange into pieces.

how did you do the setup with the long, driver's side bolt? just pounded the heck out of it and the flange folded in? i couldn't get it to do that, so ripping the old rubber flange into pieces with pliers worked. tedious task, though.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
how did you do the setup with the long, driver's side bolt? just pounded the heck out of it and the flange folded in? i couldn't get it to do that, so ripping the old rubber flange into pieces with pliers worked. tedious task, though.
Yep, needle nose pliers to rip some of the rubber away.... Then a larger socket and extention as a punch. Hit with hammer about 2000 times and it comes right out! LOL On the back side, you can get a screwdriver and pry it out about 3/8 of an inch to start with.

I'm pretty sure I need tie rod ends as well. I just put my summer tires on and I'm going to have it inspected \ aligned this week. If I do need them, I'll do those myself (if I can break them loose. They don't look that bad really.) and then finish the bushing kit (I still have the virtical bolt to do).

I'll be digging out the C Clamps for that last bushing...